Need Name Other Than 'Dad', 'Father', or 'Pops'

Old December 27th 03, 03:02 AM
Glenn Catlin

Default Need Name Other Than 'Dad', 'Father', or 'Pops'

I am part of the team raising a baby who I adore. I need a name for the
baby to call me other than 'dad/daddy', 'father', or 'pa/papa/pops'.
They are, in my opinion, all taken. So, for instance, I can't be 'daddy
Glenn.'

The baby is now 15 months old and beginning verbal skills. (Actually,
if left up to her, the baby so far calls me 'Mommy' ... ha ha She's
sooo cute! But now you know the urgency.) She lives here with her
biological mom and has a biological dad elsewhere and sets of
grandparents. She does not have a step father. I need a name she can
use to call me.

We were going to call me 'Uncle Glenn,' but an uncle really doesn't fit
me. I am with the baby with all my free time and then some and with all
the love I can muster; an uncle is often someone you see at major
holidays or funerals.

And we are not going to teach her to call me by my first name as my role
is not as peer buddy but to nurture her. I'd like something more linked
to being, except for once-in-a-while visits to her dad, the primary male
in her life (and because I love her with all my heart and sole).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Glenn
NJ

Old December 27th 03, 06:36 AM
Rupa Bose

Glenn Catlin wrote

I am part of the team raising a baby who I adore. I need a name for the
baby to call me other than 'dad/daddy', 'father', or 'pa/papa/pops'.
They are, in my opinion, all taken. So, for instance, I can't be 'daddy
Glenn.'

Anyone have any suggestions?

Make up something? (vaddy, gladdy, Glennops...)

Or bring in words from other languages, preferably one that has some
meaning for you or the baby's mom? (Pater, pere, baba, appa, vater,
pai)
Old December 27th 03, 03:24 PM
Kelly

One of the children in our family has a Daddy Glenn.
Works great here.
Kelly

Old January 4th 04, 02:20 PM
swh

Why not just encourage her to call you Glenn???
Kudos to you on caring so much Very sweet.

--
Regards,
Susan Wilkins-Hubley

~ Spouse, n.: "Someone who'll stand by you through all the trouble you
wouldn't have had if you'd stayed single."

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).