My mom thanked me for telling her *not* to come to the birth

Old June 28th 06, 01:39 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default My mom thanked me for telling her *not* to come to the birth

Some of you may recall I had asked my mom not to travel here (she lives
in CA, I'm in TX) for the birth, and preferably to wait til 6-8 weeks
so that she can be here at a more useful time, as I transition back to
work. She was ok with that, respected our wishes.

now she's relieved.

I told her of our homebirth plans. After freaking out a bit,then
listening to my reasoning and accepting it - if not agreeing with it,
she said she was soooo glad she would not be here! This is her 25th
grandkid, so nothing new, altho she has said in the past it would be
nice to be around when another was born. But she meant "in the general
vicinity', not in the same room. She said she would probably panic and
drive me nuts making the whole process difficult instead of relaxing
(which is funny as she did give birth to 8 kids). I *knew* that, but it
was nice to hear her come up with that on her own.

Old June 28th 06, 02:40 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"cjra" wrote:

[...]

I'm glad she agrees with you. Less stress, woo!

rj

Old June 28th 06, 09:32 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

cjra wrote:

This is her 25th grandkid, so nothing new,

Heh? 25!?! The logistics of this all baffles the mind, would you mind
explaining, just to humor me?
Old June 28th 06, 09:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Well her mom had 8 children.. so if each one had only 3 then that would be
24 obviously somone decided to go above that :P

Tori
"Denise~*" wrote in message
m...

Old June 28th 06, 10:01 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Denise~* wrote:
cjra wrote:

This is her 25th grandkid, so nothing new,

Heh? 25!?! The logistics of this all baffles the mind, would you mind
explaining, just to humor me?

My grandmother had 60 grandkids (she had 11 children). 25 seems like
nothing.

The logistics aren't that complicated. Catholic. Old School.

I am one of 8 kids:
bro 1 - 10 kids (which skews things substantially)
bro 2 - died before having kids
Sis 1 - 3 kids
Sis 2 - 2 kids
bro 3 - 3 kids
sis 3 - 2 step kids (she raised), 2 of her own
sis 4 - that's me, this is #1
sis 5 - 2 kids

so that makes my kid #25. I think at this point I will be the only one
adding to the brood, and I'm 36, so while we do want a few, her
grandkid tally will likely not hit 30.

Old June 29th 06, 07:33 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

cjra wrote:
Denise~* wrote:

cjra wrote:

This is her 25th grandkid, so nothing new,

Heh? 25!?! The logistics of this all baffles the mind, would you mind
explaining, just to humor me?

My grandmother had 60 grandkids (she had 11 children). 25 seems like
nothing.

The logistics aren't that complicated. Catholic. Old School.

I am one of 8 kids:
bro 1 - 10 kids (which skews things substantially)
bro 2 - died before having kids
Sis 1 - 3 kids
Sis 2 - 2 kids
bro 3 - 3 kids
sis 3 - 2 step kids (she raised), 2 of her own
sis 4 - that's me, this is #1
sis 5 - 2 kids

so that makes my kid #25. I think at this point I will be the only one
adding to the brood, and I'm 36, so while we do want a few, her
grandkid tally will likely not hit 30.

Wow.

I'm so used to small families. The most anybody in my family up to my
father & mothers generation have is 3, maybe 4 at the most, and the
average is 2 kids. My grandfather is even an only child & his parents
were fron Norway. All his relatives in Norway have 6 to 8 children as
an average number though. I've seen the genealogy charts. I think it's
due to the long winters there ;-)

My parents will only have probably at the most 6 GK's, mine being #5.
There's only 3 of us sibs. My sis has 2 kids (twins) and actually only
planned on having just 1. My bro & SIL *might* have another, maybe. Bro
turning 40 soon & SIL is about my age & their DD is turning 1 this
August, so it's a bit sketchy for them if they will take the step to
have another.

DH's parents, there are a total of 4 GK's (mine being #4) and that's
probably it for them. They are Catholic too & DH's father is a Deacon
even, but they only had 2 kids. Hopefully DH's sis won't pro-create
anymore (I won't go there, you don't want to know)
Old June 29th 06, 02:23 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Denise~* wrote:
cjra wrote:
Denise~* wrote:

cjra wrote:

[...]

One of my dad's cousins started doing a family history about 15 yrs ago
now. They did trace the family in Germany, but started with my
great-great grandparents who came to the US c. 1860, along with the
first few of their kids. The books now fill at least 6 volumes, and no
doubt will finish off another volume very soon as it hasn't been
updated in about 5 yrs. Catholic and farmers, every generation had
anywhere from 6-12 kids. Only a few of those had 1-2 kids, and even
fewer childless. My generation of 60 is, for the most part, more
reasonable with 2-4 kids mostly, my brother is the exception.

My mom's family is smaller, as she's only one of 3 and her sisters had
2 & 3 kids. But both her parents came from large families (Mexican and
ranchers), so there's still a large extended family.

My mom thinks 4 kids is a small family....

Old June 30th 06, 02:56 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm so glad it worked out for you. You know yourself and your mom better
than anyone. Remember that when your intuition says that your baby/child is
healthy or not. I doubted myself at first with the doctors when I shouldn't
have.

Take care,
-Patty, mom of 1+2