Waking up at 2:00 am

Old February 12th 05, 05:52 AM
mw

Default Waking up at 2:00 am

I have 16 month little girl, this past week she has been waking up at 2
and not going back to sleep till about 4 or even 6:30. She is waking up
and wanting to play and would like something to drink. She will not
stay in her crib and I have put her in the bed with her Dad and I and
she wakes him up and wants to play.
She takes one nap a day and that is usually around lunch time and thats
it.
What can I do?

Old February 12th 05, 01:53 PM
dragon

mw wrote:
I have 16 month little girl, this past week she has been waking up at

2
and not going back to sleep till about 4 or even 6:30. She is waking

up
and wanting to play and would like something to drink. She will not
stay in her crib and I have put her in the bed with her Dad and I and
she wakes him up and wants to play.
She takes one nap a day and that is usually around lunch time and

thats
it.
What can I do?

What time does she go to bed? How long is she alseep before she wakes
up? DS would do this if I put him to bed too early in the evening.
Some children won't sleep more than 6-8 hours a stretch. It may be
that you need to put your little one to bed later to stop her from
waking so early. Good luck!

dragon

Old February 12th 05, 02:27 PM
Ericka Kammerer

mw wrote:

I have 16 month little girl, this past week she has been waking up at 2
and not going back to sleep till about 4 or even 6:30. She is waking up
and wanting to play and would like something to drink. She will not
stay in her crib and I have put her in the bed with her Dad and I and
she wakes him up and wants to play.
She takes one nap a day and that is usually around lunch time and thats
it.
What can I do?

I think sometimes they go through phases like that. DD has
been waking the last couple of nights. My recommendations is to
make whatever you do deadly boring. Don't turn on any lights,
don't play, don't talk, don't sing, don't do anything. If you
take her into your bed, keep it boring there too--and you don't
necessarily have to wait for her to fall asleep before you put
her back down. I generally try resettling G. first, then if
that doesn't work I'll rock her for a few minutes. If that
doesn't work I'm too lazy to stay upright, so I'll take her
in bed. She'll usually thrash around for 15 minutes or so and
then I put her back in her bed. She'll usually squawk a bit
at that, but then goes to sleep. Usually, these things only
last a few days when they happen for us.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 12th 05, 02:29 PM
enigma

"mw" wrote in
oups.com:

I have 16 month little girl, this past week she has been
waking up at 2 and not going back to sleep till about 4 or
even 6:30. She is waking up and wanting to play and would
like something to drink. She will not stay in her crib and
I have put her in the bed with her Dad and I and she wakes
him up and wants to play. She takes one nap a day and that
is usually around lunch time and thats it.
What can I do?

wait until she outgrows this stage.
my son did the same thing around the same age. i took him
downstairs, put in a Bob the Builder tape & snoozed while he
watched. he was usually ready to go back to bed in about an
hour to an hour & a half. the phase lasted about 6-8 weeks.
lee
Old February 12th 05, 02:33 PM
enigma

"dragon" wrote in
oups.com:

mw wrote:
[...]

at age 4.5 my kid doesn't sleep more than 4 hours at a
stretch it's better than waking every 90 minutes though, &
since i'm not much of a sleeper i guess he could have
inherited that.
i start the bedtime routine at 7:30pm, he falls asleep around
9 & he wakes up & comes into my bed between 11:30 & 1:30. then
he sleeps until around 5-6:30am
lee
Old February 12th 05, 09:33 PM
mw

Her Dad is the same way, he does not sleep much. He has tried to take
her and let me, the only problem is she does not want him, she keeps
calling for me. I hope she grows out of this soon.

Thank you

Old February 13th 05, 12:35 AM
hobbes

"mw" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 16 month little girl, this past week she has been waking up at 2
and not going back to sleep till about 4 or even 6:30. She is waking up
and wanting to play and would like something to drink. She will not
stay in her crib and I have put her in the bed with her Dad and I and
she wakes him up and wants to play.
She takes one nap a day and that is usually around lunch time and thats
it.
What can I do?

I agree with the others that it's a phase you probably just have to wait
out. Both of my kids have done this to some extent. If I could, I usually
just brought the child to bed with me and pretended to go to sleep. Refused
to play or let them get excited. Eventually, after climbing all over me and
DH for a while, they'd give in and sleep. Every now and then, it just didn't
work, and I'd take them downstairs and put on a (calm) video in a dark room.

IME, it doesn't last long.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (3 years, 11 months)

Old February 13th 05, 03:10 AM
mw

She really does not have a bed time, but it's usually around 9 or so.
She has a big sister who goes to bed around 9 or 9:30 and then she goes
sleep next.
Do you think that could be the problem, the fact that she does not have
a bed time? When she goes to sleep around 9:30 she will wake up around
8:30 or 9:00 in the morning, of course she will wake up once or twice
in the middle of the night wanting some thing to drink. She does not
take the bottle, but she will ask for juice or milk.

mw

Old February 13th 05, 02:05 PM
Ericka Kammerer

mw wrote:

She really does not have a bed time, but it's usually around 9 or so.
She has a big sister who goes to bed around 9 or 9:30 and then she goes
sleep next.
Do you think that could be the problem, the fact that she does not have
a bed time? When she goes to sleep around 9:30 she will wake up around
8:30 or 9:00 in the morning, of course she will wake up once or twice
in the middle of the night wanting some thing to drink. She does not
take the bottle, but she will ask for juice or milk.

How is she napping during the day? Also, has she always
had juice or milk in the middle of the night, or is this a new
thing? Once they've given up the middle of the night feedings,
then we don't go back to giving anything at night except in
unusual circumstances. On the other hand, my third was still
getting up for a bottle in the middle of the night until she
was 18 months old--and she definitely was very hungry. It
wasn't until she had put together a string of nights where
she slept through that she got into a pattern of eating enough
during the day that she could make it through the night without
food. Of course, when she woke to eat, she didn't stay up.
She guzzled a bottle and went right back to sleep.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 14th 05, 12:08 PM
Rosalie B.

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

mw wrote:

She really does not have a bed time, but it's usually around 9 or so.
She has a big sister who goes to bed around 9 or 9:30 and then she goes
sleep next.

I had one that the earlier I put her to bed, the later she woke up in
the a.m. and v.v. So if I put her down as late as 9, she'd be up at
4. But if I put her down at 7:30, she'd sleep until 7 the next
morning. In her case, her big sister needed the sleep more than she
did, so they both did the same bedtime (2 years apart).

[...]

grandma Rosalie