Scheduled nap time for infants

Old April 20th 04, 09:33 PM
Ellen Kmetz

Default Scheduled nap time for infants

Also, if you need to, put them each in a different
room. Mine sleep overnight in the same room, but one naps in a Pack N
Play in my bedroom -- they were just winding each other up at naptime.

Good point, Paula, that I forgot to mention. We did the same thing for
naps...one in his crib and one in the Pack 'n Play in another room.

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old April 21st 04, 02:31 AM
Jonathan Wolgamuth

In message on 20 Apr 2004, Paula
Johnson said to all at alt.parenting.twins-triplets

OK, now I have a little time. We recently went through this, so I know
how desperate you're probably feeling. My life has been so much nicer
since we got onto a good napping schedule.

We started the girls on a sleep schedule when they were 9 months/6
months adjusted. I realized after reading Weissbluth's book that they
weren't sleeping well because they were overtired ("sleep begets
sleep" is a favorite phrase of his).

To get the girls on a decent schedule, we had to move everything
earlier: wake time, nap times, bedtime. They get up no later than 7:00
am (usually they are awake around 6:30). If they're not up at 7, I get
them up to "protect" the morning nap, which is between 9-9:30. They
usually sleep until 10:30 or 11:00. Afternoon nap starts from 1-1:30,
and they generally sleep until 2:30 or 3:00. Bedtime is 7:00-7:30.

The most important things we've found -- a bit of protest crying is to
be expected, as the kids realize that it's much more fun to be *up*.
A routine before naps and bed, like reading, nursing/bottle, singing,
rocking -- whatever helps the kids relax -- can help signal them that
it's sleep time. Also, if you need to, put them each in a different
room. Mine sleep overnight in the same room, but one naps in a Pack N
Play in my bedroom -- they were just winding each other up at naptime.

Paula, I completely agree with your post! This sounds like what we did!

--

I'm Jonathan Wolgamuth and I approved this message.

"Come join me in my daily struggle for adequacity."

Old April 21st 04, 02:31 AM
Jonathan Wolgamuth

In message om on 20
Apr 2004, The Huwe Family said to all at alt.parenting.twins-triplets

My triplets turn 7 mo. old this Friday. Is it possible to have them
on a nap schedule? (e.g. It's 10 o'clock, time for nap) Currently, I
let them get up in the morning whenever the wake up, unless it's after
9, then I wake them up. I then put them down throughout the day
whenever they display tiredness. Of course, they are rarely all down
at the same time, but the do usually go to bed at night pretty close
together. But even when they take naps, their duration is different.
Ben can sleep for hours, while I consider myself lucky if Elena sleeps
longer than 1/2 hour.

If it's possible, do you have any suggestions on how to accomplish
this? Or is it not worth it until they are older?

It is possible. I'm not sure how we got it to happen, but we did things so
regularly that they fell into our evil trap. We have the same morning
routine, the same evening routine, and they seem to get sleepy at about the
same times in the morning and afternoons for their naps. This was from
about 6 months (maybe before) and they are just now getting to the point
where the afternoon nap is optional. (Believe me, I'd just as soon that
they take it!) Henry and Ella will be 1 on May 25.

Oh, and Ella sleeps longer at night, and generally naps longer too.

Old April 21st 04, 12:52 PM
The Huwe Family

Actually, I only have one that occasionally sleeps until 9. Andy, my first
born, wakes up usually by 6, but sometimes at 5, 4, or even 1 am. (today it
was 5:00) The other two usually get up around 7. We try to get them to bed
between 7:30 -8 pm. We've tried later times hoping that Andy would sleep
later, but it hasn't worked. He must have his internal clock set early.

When it's around time for their first nap, I put one down, get the second
one down, but by the time I get the third one down, the first one is up.
Would you then, keep them all in their beds until an hour had gone by?
Also, would you put them to bed even if they were not asleep or almost
asleep?

Gayle

"Ellen Kmetz" wrote in message
If it's possible, do you have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Or
is it not worth it until they are older?

Hi Gayle,

My boys were on a nap schedule at 5 months. I certainly don't thinks

yours are
too young, but all babies are different. A good "guideline" is 10 am and

2 pm
for naps. Of course if they are not waking up until 9 that won't work.

What
time do they go to bed at night? Maybe you can get them up earlier in the
morning so they are tired around 10. I really believe in strict sleeping
schedules, especially with multiples. They should be waking, napping and

going
to bed at the same times every day. I guess that's easy for me to

say...God
knows it has to be SO much harder with three than two, but I really

believe
that babies will adapt to the sleep schedule that *you* dictate. And it

will
keep you sane knowing that you have a few hours every day when they are

all
sleeping (or whatever the duration is). It might take a week or so to get

them
all in sync, but it'll be worth it if it works.

Good luck!

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95