Popcorn can be dangerous

Old August 17th 04, 10:01 PM
M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t-August 17, 2004

Default Popcorn can be dangerous

Posted as a public service to warn about choking hazards from "safe" things.

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/n...,2839805.story

Family's evening at the movies ends in tragedy

By Jennifer Sinco Kelleher
Staff Writer; Staff writer Emi Endo contributed to this story.

August 17, 2004

It was the first night out at the movies in more than a year for a family
struggling to get by, an outing designed to forget - at least for a few
hours - the often bleak existence of life in a Kew Gardens homeless shelter.

Elaine McIntosh, 41, her husband Eddie Riley, 36, their two sons Eddie Jr.,
13, and Deonte, 3, drove in a car donated by a relative to the Sunrise
Multiplex Cinemas in Valley Stream to watch "Alien vs. Predator" on Sunday
evening.

The movie was on for about 15 minutes when little Deonte began squirming and
gasping for air just before 7 p.m., Nassau police said. McIntosh saw that
her son was choking on a mouthful of popcorn and tried to clear his mouth.

Riley carried him out into the women's restroom, laid the unconscious boy on
a counter and tried to blow air into his mouth. A nurse who works at North
Shore University Hospital happened to be at the theater and tried CPR and
the Heimlich maneuver. Nassau police officers arrived and also tried to
resuscitate Deonte. An ambulance rushed him to Mercy Medical Center in
Rockville Centre, but Deonte was pronounced dead there at 7:48 p.m., said
Det. Sgt. Richard Laursen of the Homicide Squad.

Laursen said the boy's death is considered an accident, but said an
investigation will continue until an autopsy reveals the cause of death.
"You take your children to the movies every day," he said. "Unfortunately,
this time tragedy struck."

Yesterday afternoon, McIntosh and Riley stood in front of The Briarwood, the
shelter where they live. McIntosh said she lost her job as a special
education teacher last year, leading the family to become homeless for a
while.

Four months ago, they moved into a two-bedroom apartment at the shelter and
life was starting to improve. Riley found a job as a security guard and
McIntosh looked for a job in a place where they hoped it would be cheaper to
raise their sons.

Tired of their banal lives at the shelter, McIntosh said they wanted Sunday
to be "family day," and decided to watch the movie their friends had been
raving about.

"We hadn't been out as a family in a long time because we were struggling so
hard," she said. "The shelter is like jail sometimes and I said to my
husband, 'Sweetie, we need to go do something with the kids. We need to go
out.' This was our first movie in more than a year."

At the Valley Stream movie theater, the family played video games for an
hour before the movie was to start, McIntosh said. Then they settled into
their seats and all ate from a small tub of popcorn.

McIntosh said she glanced often at Deonte, a feisty boy who rarely kept
still. He seemed content watching the movie, until McIntosh heard his gasps
for air.

Riley said that while on the bathroom counter, Deonte was limp and blood
starting flowing from his nose. Riley tried to pump on the boy's chest, but
was afraid to hurt him.

"There was nothing I could do," Riley said, sliding off a backpack strap to
show dried blood still on his T-shirt. "I wanted him to know I was trying
hard, that Daddy was trying."

Early yesterday, McIntosh was so overcome with grief that she went outside
the shelter and laid down on 134th Street, wanting to end her life, her
husband said, adding that he took her to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center.
She was there for several hours for observation and some medication.

"I wanted to be with my baby," she said after leaving the hospital.

McIntosh sobbed and moaned for Deonte, repeating, "He was only 3. He was
only 3."

Watching Deonte's parents outside the shelter, a neighbor said he enjoyed
playing video games with the boy. "He was a real cute kid," said Rodd
Ferguson, 24. "He had a lot of energy."

McIntosh said even though popcorn and cheese doodles were Deonte's favorite
foods, she wants her son's death to teach parents not to give such snacks to
very young children. "That's the message I want to put out there," she said.

Dr. Daniel G. Murphy, director of emergency medicine at Mercy Medical
Center, said that the small size of airways in infants and children makes it
easy for objects or food to cause them to choke. An 18-month-old has an
airway "about the size of a straw," he said.

He said that young children should avoid hot dogs, hard candies, nuts, seeds
and popcorn. "Certainly, 2 or 3 is a dangerous age," he said.

In 2000, 160 children ages 14 or younger died from choking on food or other
objects nationwide, according to the National Center for Injury Prevention
and Control.

Deonte's funeral arrangements were not finalized yesterday.

In addition to his parents and older brother, Deonte is also survived by a
half-brother, Martinez Ramaglia, 17, from McIntosh's first marriage.

McIntosh recalled how the family had so much to look forward to. She had
found a job as a special education teacher in Jacksonville, Fla., and Deonte
was excited about the move, she said. The family still plans to move there
on Sept. 18.

Staff writer Emi Endo contributed to this story.

Child choking hazards

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, keep the following foods
from children until 4 years of age:

Hot dogs

Nuts and seeds

Chunks of meat or cheese

Whole grapes

Hard, gooey, or sticky candy

Popcorn

Chunks of peanut butter

Raw vegetables

Raisins

Chewing gum

There are other household items that can become choking hazards. Keep these
items away from infants and young children:

Latex balloons

Coins

Marbles

Toys with small parts

Toys that can be compressed to fit entirely into a child's mouth

Small balls

Pen or marker caps

Small button-type batteries

Medicine syringes

Old August 17th 04, 11:24 PM
Coleah

My God....Ilena is putting children at risk of death!!!
http://www.humanticsfoundation.com/volcanocorn.html
(note picture of Ilena holding up two popcorn bags)

et...

Old August 18th 04, 01:30 AM
Jeff

"Coleah" wrote in message
My God....Ilena is putting children at risk of death!!!
http://www.humanticsfoundation.com/volcanocorn.html
(note picture of Ilena holding up two popcorn bags)

Who cares?

Please keep your petty fight with Ilena outside the newsgroup.

Jeff

Old August 18th 04, 02:36 AM
Coleah

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Coleah" wrote in message
My God....Ilena is putting children at risk of death!!!
http://www.humanticsfoundation.com/volcanocorn.html
(note picture of Ilena holding up two popcorn bags)

Who cares?

Please keep your petty fight with Ilena outside the newsgroup.

Jeff

I replied to a previous post.
Which newsgroup were you talking about?

Old August 18th 04, 02:45 AM
Jeff

"Coleah" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Coleah" wrote in message
My God....Ilena is putting children at risk of death!!!
http://www.humanticsfoundation.com/volcanocorn.html
(note picture of Ilena holding up two popcorn bags)

Who cares?

Please keep your petty fight with Ilena outside the newsgroup.

Jeff

I replied to a previous post.
Which newsgroup were you talking about?

misc.kids.health, in particular. All of them, though.

You didn't reply to a particular post. You attack Ilena. How petty.

Jeff

Old August 18th 04, 02:55 AM
Coleah

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Coleah" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Coleah" wrote in message
My God....Ilena is putting children at risk of death!!!
http://www.humanticsfoundation.com/volcanocorn.html
(note picture of Ilena holding up two popcorn bags)

Who cares?

Please keep your petty fight with Ilena outside the newsgroup.

Jeff

I replied to a previous post.
Which newsgroup were you talking about?

misc.kids.health, in particular. All of them, though.

You didn't reply to a particular post. You attack Ilena. How petty.

Jeff

==============
Begging your pardon, Jeff, but you are in error.
Below IS the very post I replied to.
Have you graduated from high school yet? You sound immature.

My God....Ilena is putting children at risk of death!!!
http://www.humanticsfoundation.com/volcanocorn.html
(note picture of Ilena holding up two popcorn bags)

"M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t-August 17, 2004" M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t
et...

Old August 18th 04, 03:30 AM
Jeff

"Coleah" wrote in message
(...)

==============
Begging your pardon, Jeff, but you are in error.
Below IS the very post I replied to.
Have you graduated from high school yet? You sound immature.

The original post has nothing to do with Ilena.

Your response to attack Ilena trivializes a very serious topic.

I don't think you and Ilena get along well. However, there is no reason to
attack Ilena every time you get. (But, you are providing her with more ammo
to use against you.)

Jeff

My God....Ilena is putting children at risk of death!!!
http://www.humanticsfoundation.com/volcanocorn.html
(note picture of Ilena holding up two popcorn bags)

"M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t-August 17, 2004" M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t
et...

Old August 18th 04, 03:59 AM
Coleah

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Coleah" wrote in message
(...)

==============
Begging your pardon, Jeff, but you are in error.
Below IS the very post I replied to.
Have you graduated from high school yet? You sound immature.

The original post has nothing to do with Ilena.

Your response to attack Ilena trivializes a very serious topic.

I don't think you and Ilena get along well. However, there is no reason to
attack Ilena every time you get. (But, you are providing her with more

ammo
to use against you.)

Jeff

If you only knew......

Old August 18th 04, 11:28 PM
Ilena Rose

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:24:37 -0700, "Coleah"
wrote:

My God....Ilena is putting children at risk of death!!!

Marla (Mark S Probert) and Coleah (Vibrating Vagina, Pandora's Box)
Penley Ayers seem extremely concerned over one death Marla found out
about from Popcorn.

Let's review what is more dangerous ... popcorn or vaccines? This
article mentions no deaths from popcorn ... now Marla claims there is
one:

http://www.taxtyranny.ca/images/HTML...accines40.html

As of the end of 2002, the VAERS system contained 244,424 total
reports of possible reactions to vaccines, including 99,145 emergency
room visits, 5,149 life-threatening reactions, 27,925
hospitalizations, 5,775 disabilities, and 5,309 deaths, according to
data compiled by Dr. Mark Geier, a vaccine researcher in Silver
Spring, Md.

www.humanticsfoundation.com/volcanocorn.html
Old August 19th 04, 12:35 AM
Jeff

wrote:

My God....Ilena is putting children at risk of death!!!

Marla (Mark S Probert) and Coleah (Vibrating Vagina, Pandora's Box)
Penley Ayers seem extremely concerned over one death Marla found out
about from Popcorn.

And a few hundred every year from choking.

Let's review what is more dangerous ... popcorn or vaccines? This
article mentions no deaths from popcorn ... now Marla claims there is
one:

http://www.taxtyranny.ca/images/HTML...accines40.html

As of the end of 2002, the VAERS system contained 244,424 total
reports of possible reactions to vaccines, including 99,145 emergency
room visits, 5,149 life-threatening reactions, 27,925
hospitalizations, 5,775 disabilities, and 5,309 deaths, according to
data compiled by Dr. Mark Geier, a vaccine researcher in Silver
Spring, Md.

www.humanticsfoundation.com/volcanocorn.html

I think the key word here is *possible*. How maany of those deaths were
found to be caused by vaccines? Damned few.

How many deaths were there during that period from measles, mumps, rubella,
smallpox and polio? Damned few. How did the death rate for Hib meningitis go
when the vaccine against this come out? It went down, way down.

Are vaccines 100% safe? Of course not. Nothing is. Not water. Not even
popcorn.

But considering the very small number of deaths and injuries vaccines
actually caused, the very large number of deaths they prevented, and all the
sickness and disability that vaccines have prevented, they are one of the
miracles of modern medicine.

Jeff