3 week old baby unable to latch - help!

Old October 9th 03, 10:27 AM
Cathy

Default 3 week old baby unable to latch - help!

Hi, The subject is a bit misleading - I am after help for my SIL. Her baby
was born 3 weeks ago, full term but only 4 lb 10oz. The baby was little,
mum's breasts were big, and the baby just couldn't latch. Baby is now 6 lb
1oz (on expressed milk - she's getting the good stuff all right, but by
bottle), and the mum and dad are putting babe to the breast, but it is their
first child, and I don't think they have any idea of what to do. They say
they aren't getting a lot of support from their midwife- visits are too
quick etc., as the baby is doing so well on what she is getting! DH, DD and
I are going to visit them next week, and I will have plenty of time to sit
and help - if I can. Does any one have any suggestions as to how I could
help. As DD is 9 months, and I no longer have to shape the breast or
anything like that, I don't think that watching me will make a lot of
difference. Can anyone give me any advice that I can pass one? All I can
think of is 1) be patient! and 2) shape the breast. Oops, and 3) try and
get the baby to latch before she is screamingly hungry. I would really like
to try and help if I can.

They have tried the baby with a cup, which ended up with milk running
everywhere except in to the baby. I suspect some advice will be drop the
bottle and get a SNS etc - I'm not sure those are available here (New
Zealand), but I will look in to it before I visit.

TIA,
Cathy

Old October 9th 03, 05:32 PM
Kate

"Cathy" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have just a quick moment, but as the baby grows, her mouth will grow
and she will be able to latch. But, has she been checked for
tongue-tie, cleft, or any physical issues? has she tried to feed the
baby while the baby is sleepy? if she responds as soon as teh baby
cues to feed., the baby might be willing to latch.

can she find an IBCLC, LLLLeader or Nursing mothers Association-type
assistance?

=====
Kate, http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/a...f-formula.html
Mom to Ursula (8.5), Sage (6), Benno (2.7) My parents were
wonderful
people, but unfortunately they were unable to give me the private
income I so richly deserved. ~ Poet & Head of the NEA Dana Goiai,
explaining
why he has an MBA

Old October 9th 03, 06:30 PM
Clisby

Cathy wrote:
[...]

One thing I would try is to use the football hold. It's awkward, but I
found it to be by far the best way to help a baby onto a good latch.
(My son wouldn't nurse any other way until he was 3 months old).

Clisby

Old October 9th 03, 10:24 PM
Cathy

Kate wrote in message
om...
"Cathy" wrote in message

[...]

I'm not sure about the physical issues - will check on that. I suspect it
is just a size of mouth vs. size of breast thing! And I doubt that the mum
has tried to nurse when the baby is sleepy - I'll ask them if they'll give
that a go.

can she find an IBCLC, LLLLeader or Nursing mothers Association-type
assistance?

I'll suggest they find an LC - I'm trying not to get too involved, but want
to help if I can. The mum was unsure as to whether she would be able to BF.
Seeing as the baby has done so well on EBM till now (I couldn't express till
my DD was about 4 months, so I think they are doing amazingly!), and the mum
has allergy issues, I really would like to see them carry on BF, and
preferably on the breast, rather than expressing.

Cathy

Old October 9th 03, 10:28 PM
Cathy

Clisby wrote in message

Cathy wrote:
[...]

Thanks - I'll see if they can try that too. I suspect that they have had no
assistance with getting the baby on to the breast, except in the first few
days, when she was way too little. The parents said they have seen a few
videos of how it should be done, but I know I had seen a few videos and
thought I knew it all! It took me 5 days to be able to get DD to latch
without help from a nurse, and about another 2-3 weeks till it was good and
pain free. I"m just a little concerned that they'll take the 'easy way out'
(I'm not saying that expressing is easy - just that getting the baby on to
the breast will take patience and time, which can be in short supply with a
3 week old), and keep baby on the bottle until it is too late. I'm there is
4 days, so I'm hoping I can be of some assistance.

Cathy

Old October 10th 03, 01:31 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Cathy" wrote:

Get your sister in touch with this mob:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/LLLNZ/

Looks like there are quite a lot of groups -- hope one is near her. I am only
sorry that the midwife didn't put her in touch with them.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old October 11th 03, 01:37 AM
Cathy

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
"Cathy" wrote:

Get your sister in touch with this mob:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/LLLNZ/

Looks like there are quite a lot of groups -- hope one is near her.
I am only sorry that the midwife didn't put her in touch with them.

I may not have quite the full story re the midwife, but yeah, I'll find the
local LLL. It does depend on how keen SIL is to get the baby on the breast.

Cathy

Old October 11th 03, 09:29 AM
Nicola B

"Cathy" wrote in message
Hi, The subject is a bit misleading - I am after help for my SIL. Her

baby
was born 3 weeks ago, full term but only 4 lb 10oz. The baby was little,
mum's breasts were big, and the baby just couldn't latch. Baby is now 6

lb
1oz (on expressed milk - she's getting the good stuff all right, but by
bottle), and the mum and dad are putting babe to the breast, but it is

their
first child, and I don't think they have any idea of what to do. They say
they aren't getting a lot of support from their midwife- visits are too
quick etc., as the baby is doing so well on what she is getting!

I had the same problem. Tiny baby, huge breast. The only thing that worked
was a nipple shield - piece of flimsy silicone similar to a bottle teat, you
put it over the nipple. (It is often used for cracked nipples or other
nipple issues.) The baby puts its little mouth around the silicone teat and
sucks the nipple into the shaped silicone. I think I used it for a couple of
weeks, then took a few days, maybe 5, to wean him off it. It was fairly hard
work weaning him onto the bare breast, but worth it! You can't keep using
the shield long term because it does not allow the breast enough stimulation
to keep milk supply up. But when DS was newborn it was the *only* way I
could BF.

Nicola

Old October 11th 03, 09:37 AM
Cathy

Nicola B wrote:
"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, I hadn't thought of nipple shields, mainly because I was so paranoid
about using them myself. Another suggestion to add to the list. Thank you.

Cathy