Reason for weaning from bottle at 1 yo?

Old July 8th 03, 09:11 PM
Truffles

Default Reason for weaning from bottle at 1 yo?

What is the reasoning behind weaning off of bottles to sippy cups by one
year? Are there studies showing detrimental effects from continued use
of bottles?

It just seems to me one year is a little early to wean off a bottle.
Also, *IMO* a sippy cup is just a glorified bottle that's harder to clean.

I'm in no hurry to wean my twins off of bottles. Nipples are easier to
clean than valves. They take their water in sippy cups and milk in bottles.

Does anyone know?

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old July 8th 03, 09:36 PM
Astromum

Truffles wrote:
What is the reasoning behind weaning off of bottles to sippy cups by one
year? Are there studies showing detrimental effects from continued use
of bottles?

IIRC it has to do with proper positioning of the teeth and the development
of the tongue. Both are important for speech development. Sippy cups require
a different drinking technique which helps the tongue to be more versatile.
But that's just what I've heard, perhaps someone with a more expert opinion
can enlighten us. As for the teeth: it is the same issue over and over,
whether a child sucks thumb, finger, pacifier or nipples: all can influence
the positioning of the front teeth. I don't think this is a bad thing,
dentists often think otherwise.

It just seems to me one year is a little early to wean off a bottle.
Also, *IMO* a sippy cup is just a glorified bottle that's harder to clean.

Ah, the Playtex conspiracy

FWIW DS weaned himself of nipples. Just started to refuse them completely
a little while ago.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 8th 03, 09:37 PM
Truffles

dejablues wrote:

Truffles wrote:

What is the reasoning behind weaning off of bottles to sippy cups by one
year? Are there studies showing detrimental effects from continued use
of bottles?

It just seems to me one year is a little early to wean off a bottle.
Also, *IMO* a sippy cup is just a glorified bottle that's harder to clean.

I'm in no hurry to wean my twins off of bottles. Nipples are easier to
clean than valves. They take their water in sippy cups and milk in

bottles.

Does anyone know?

Because, like toilet-training, there is a window of opportunity in
which a child is more amenable to change.

????? I don't understand the connection?

If you wait too long, it
becomes an attachment object , not just a means of getting food, and
it gets harder to give up.

I can understand this. But a sippy cup can become an attachment object
as well. Also, what is wrong with an attachment object?

Some parents (me included) just do not care
for the sight of an older baby with a bottle (or pacifier for that
matter!)

But that is personal preference and with no disrespect to you, I really
don't care if it bothers other people. I care about the physical and
emotional health of my child. If they were shown to be detrimental,
that's one thing, but if it's just fashion, why the push from the doctors?

You can't lay down with a sippy cup, either.

Sure you can. Although, mine don't lay down with bottles or sippy cups.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old July 8th 03, 09:48 PM
Kari

I was told that it can be bad for their teeth if you put anything other than
water in the bottles. Im sure this can be true for sippy cups as well if
kids are sucking on them all day too. But I think the constant sucking of a
bottle is more likely than a constant sucking of a sippy...if that makes
sense. Also for ear problems, the sucking on a bottle is somewhat more
likely to open up the ear canals - I've heard, Im no expert on this at all.

My daughter was weaned at 11 mos because she refused to drink her formula.
We NEVER give anything but that (or breast milk) in bottles so the bottles
went too. My son was breast fed until 9 mos and he went to a bottle and
loved it but on his 1st b-day we threw them all out. He cried the first
night and that was it. His cousin however was nearly 3.5 before he was
weaned because they didnt try to wean until he was already 2 and you can't
reason too well with a 2 yr old. They did say if they had to do it again
they would not have waited.

Honestly, I dont think there is anything *wrong* with it but we didnt do it
and I would get rid of them by a year again if it was an issue again next
time simply because by 12 mos, they don't need them. And I would rather have
my kids drinking from a cup than a bottle when they are toddlers. Of course,
others would disagree and this is just my opinion. Good luck whatever you
decide!

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

Old July 8th 03, 10:09 PM
H Schinske

Oh, I agree constant sucking of milk/juice (although mine don't drink
juice) all day can lead to rotten teeth. I guess because I don't use
the bottles that way I forgot that other people do. I just give them
their milk, they sit in their chairs and drink it.

I don't see how the delivery method could possibly matter, if that's all you
do. It is lying around with milk/juice/other sugary stuff against the teeth
that can cause baby bottle mouth. It takes prolonged periods of sucking to
deform teeth and palates and so on.

It is of course also bad for the teeth to constantly be sipping any sugary
drink all day long. I guess the ban on bottles is really a ban on those habits,
which are supposed to be part of the whole bottle "thing." But they aren't
necessarily.

--Helen
Old July 8th 03, 11:02 PM
Truffles

dejablues wrote:
Ok, so here is the word from the American Academy of Pediatrics website.
http://www.aap.org/pubserv/weaning.htm

I still don't see anything there that says it's detrimental.

Also, I guess my twins are "weaned" according to the AAP because I don't
let them wander around with it and suck from it all day. shrug

I did get a kick out of the "In the beginning, fill the cup with water
and offer it to him at just one meal a day". Who in their right mind
would offer a baby a full cup of water? LOL! :-D

Thanks for the link.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old July 8th 03, 11:55 PM
toto

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:20:09 -0400, "dejablues"
wrote:

(I must say that I had one child that only took a bottle for two months, one
for four, and one for three).

Boy yout children sure weaned early. I can't imagine a child of two
months on neither breast or bottle...

My children were breast fed though they did take bottles for juice
on occasion.. Neither went to a cup so early though - about 6 months
was the beginning of sippy cups. And they weaned to regular cups
by around 2. But my dd was still bfing at bedtime until she was
2 1/2 years old. My son weaned at 13 months when he began walking.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 9th 03, 12:05 AM
toto

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:51:32 -0400, "dejablues"
wrote:

Ok, so here is the word from the American Academy of Pediatrics website.
http://www.aap.org/pubserv/weaning.htm

While I generally like the advice the aap gives, I don't think that it
has to be followed rigidly.

One thing to note here, if the baby is never propped with a bottle,
but always fed on your lap or if the baby is breastfed with no
bottles, then I don't see that you *have* to wean them to sippy
cups at all - you can go directly to a regular cup, just as we did
before sippy cups were ever around. And usually, that would
not be done until the baby was older and had a bit more
eye-hand coordination. Sippy cups are a convenience for
parents - I used one, but we did NOT have those no spill ones
that are around nowadays either so they weren't something
you could just put an infant down with anyway. They made lovely
things to watch water spill out of when upside down with the lid
on at the time.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 9th 03, 12:29 AM
dejablues

From http://www.aap.org/pubserv/weaning.htm

"During this process you may be tempted to put milk or juice in his bottle
to help him go to sleep, but don't do it. If he falls asleep while feeding,
the milk or juice will pool around his teeth, and this can cause his
incoming teeth to decay--a condition known as nursing-bottle syndrome. To
make matters worse, drinking while lying flat on his back can also
contribute to middle-ear infections, since the liquid may actually flow
through the eustachian tube into the middle ear.

There's still one more disadvantage to prolonged bottle feeding: The bottle
can become a security object, particularly if your baby keeps it beyond
about age one. To avoid this, don't let him carry or drink from a bottle
while playing. Restrict the use of a bottle to feedings when he's sitting
down or being held. At all other times, give him a cup. If you never allow
him to take the bottle with him, he won't realize that bringing it along is
even an option. Don't relent once this decision has been made, or it could
prompt him to demand a bottle again long after he has "officially" been
weaned. "

And what about this is not detrimental?

Old July 9th 03, 12:40 AM
Rosalie B.

wrote:

(I must say that I had one child that only took a bottle for two months, one
for four, and one for three).

Boy yout children sure weaned early. I can't imagine a child of two
months on neither breast or bottle...

My children were breast fed though they did take bottles for juice
on occasion.. Neither went to a cup so early though - about 6 months
was the beginning of sippy cups. And they weaned to regular cups
by around 2. But my dd was still bfing at bedtime until she was
2 1/2 years old. My son weaned at 13 months when he began walking.

We didn't have sippy cups either. None of mine ever had a bottle for
anything after the first one rejected water bottles vigorously - I
never tried it again. OTOH I did start them on a regular cup at about
6 months IIRC. They were drinking from a small cup at the table by 8
months. child one self weaned except at bedtime by 8 months so I know
she must have been drinking from a cup then. She weaned totally when
she started walking at about a year. I went off on a trip when #2 was
8 months. That's why I think they were drinking from cups by then.
#3 was bf at night until 15 months, and #4 wasn't completely weaned
until age 3. (from bf - as I said - no bottle - bottles weren't as
easy in those days either). They did learn to drink from a straw
sometime before a year.

Given that people don't mind now (most people) having a child bf until
fairly old, I don't see why there should be a need to wean from a
bottle either as long as the child doesn't go to sleep with it in the
mouth.

Doctors are human and have prejudices just like other people, so I
would theorize that some of them have the same dislike of babies older
than a year with a bottle or pacifier as have been stated here, and
because of that might recommend that the baby be weaned or not have a
pacifier after a year whether or not that was really medically
indicated.

My personal take on that is that it is more emotional than anything,
and thus there is real reason to do it if you don't want to.

grandma Rosalie