Reason for weaning from bottle at 1 yo?

Old July 9th 03, 12:52 AM
toto

Default Reason for weaning from bottle at 1 yo?

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:25:41 -0400, "dejablues"
wrote:

That meant , time on the bottle AFTER exclusively breastfeeding. I never
could get the hang of pumping, so I had one that breastfed for 10 months,
one for 6, and one for 7. It was actually a fight to get them to TAKE the
bottle after nursing, and giving it up at one year was pretty easy. . I
guess I should have been more clear on that!

That does clear it up.

Mine went directly from breast to cup, though. Never had a bottle
with formula or milk in it. Juice occasionally with my son and not
much with dd since she didn't like bottles much.

Granddaughter won't take one at all and she's been offered one
since she was having trouble nursing at one point. She simply
would NOT suck on a bottle nipple at all.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 9th 03, 12:53 AM
dejablues

IMO, bottles are a *sometimes* necessary evil, to be endured rather than
embraced.
I guess I'm somewhat prejudiced having remembered my mom dealing with my
two youngest brothers (preemie twins in 1968, cloth diapers too!) and my
very anti-breast-feeding sis-in-law ("I never felt the urge!" sigh) who
had each kid on the bottle til they were 4 years old.
I agree with you Rosalie about the emotionality of the issue. Parents often
make a great deal more of it than the babies do.

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes toto wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:20:09 -0400, "dejablues"
wrote:

(I must say that I had one child that only took a bottle for two months,

one
for four, and one for three).

Boy yout children sure weaned early. I can't imagine a child of two
months on neither breast or bottle...

My children were breast fed though they did take bottles for juice
on occasion.. Neither went to a cup so early though - about 6 months
was the beginning of sippy cups. And they weaned to regular cups
by around 2. But my dd was still bfing at bedtime until she was
2 1/2 years old. My son weaned at 13 months when he began walking.

We didn't have sippy cups either. None of mine ever had a bottle for
anything after the first one rejected water bottles vigorously - I
never tried it again. OTOH I did start them on a regular cup at about
6 months IIRC. They were drinking from a small cup at the table by 8
months. child one self weaned except at bedtime by 8 months so I know
she must have been drinking from a cup then. She weaned totally when
she started walking at about a year. I went off on a trip when #2 was
8 months. That's why I think they were drinking from cups by then.
#3 was bf at night until 15 months, and #4 wasn't completely weaned
until age 3. (from bf - as I said - no bottle - bottles weren't as
easy in those days either). They did learn to drink from a straw
sometime before a year.

Given that people don't mind now (most people) having a child bf until
fairly old, I don't see why there should be a need to wean from a
bottle either as long as the child doesn't go to sleep with it in the
mouth.

Doctors are human and have prejudices just like other people, so I
would theorize that some of them have the same dislike of babies older
than a year with a bottle or pacifier as have been stated here, and
because of that might recommend that the baby be weaned or not have a
pacifier after a year whether or not that was really medically
indicated.

My personal take on that is that it is more emotional than anything,
and thus there is real reason to do it if you don't want to.

grandma Rosalie

Old July 9th 03, 12:56 AM
toto

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:29:19 -0400, "dejablues"
wrote:

From http://www.aap.org/pubserv/weaning.htm

"During this process you may be tempted to put milk or juice in his bottle
to help him go to sleep, but don't do it. If he falls asleep while feeding,
the milk or juice will pool around his teeth, and this can cause his
incoming teeth to decay--a condition known as nursing-bottle syndrome. To
make matters worse, drinking while lying flat on his back can also
contribute to middle-ear infections, since the liquid may actually flow
through the eustachian tube into the middle ear.

If he isn't lying down with the bottle and he doesn't have milk in it
while wandering around, then this is not going to be a problem.
You don;t have to wean him from the bottle not to do this.. You just
have to keep feeding him yourself and not giving him the bottle to
sleep with.

There's still one more disadvantage to prolonged bottle feeding: The bottle
can become a security object, particularly if your baby keeps it beyond
about age one. To avoid this, don't let him carry or drink from a bottle
while playing. Restrict the use of a bottle to feedings when he's sitting
down or being held. At all other times, give him a cup. If you never allow
him to take the bottle with him, he won't realize that bringing it along is
even an option. Don't relent once this decision has been made, or it could
prompt him to demand a bottle again long after he has "officially" been
weaned. "

And what about this is not detrimental?

Frankly I think it's hogwash. Security objects are not detrimental
in fact they are helpful to babies emotional health. If he does get
attached to a bottle so what.. Let him carry around one with water
or an empty one.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 9th 03, 01:56 AM
kereru

"Truffles" wrote in message
What is the reasoning behind weaning off of bottles to sippy cups by one
year? Are there studies showing detrimental effects from continued use
of bottles?

I have heard they can be bad for the kids teeth in the long run.

It just seems to me one year is a little early to wean off a bottle.
Also, *IMO* a sippy cup is just a glorified bottle that's harder to clean.

True but it's a step in the direction of using a cup. I used on just as a
way to get Hamish used to the idea, he uses a normal cup now.

I'm in no hurry to wean my twins off of bottles. Nipples are easier to
clean than valves. They take their water in sippy cups and milk in

bottles.

This is what we did. I think it was the best of both worlds. Hamish got used
to the cup and learned to use a cup properly but there was no rush to get
rid of the bottle. He gave the bottle up himself at about 18 months.

Judy

Does anyone know?

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old July 9th 03, 02:22 AM
Naomi Pardue

It just seems to me one year is a little early to wean off a bottle.
Also, *IMO* a sippy cup is just a glorified bottle that's harder to clean.

While there are lots of reasons given that have varying amounts of validity
(tooth decay, attachment issues, 'window of opportunity', etc.), my guess would
be that it's really just one of those things that has just always been done.
Back when baby feeding first began to become 'scientific' doctors typically
began recommending weaning (from the breast -- few babies were formula fed at
that point), between 9-12 months, because they'd found that babies nursed
longer than that often became anemic. (Keep in mind that there was no mixed
feeding. A bf baby got only breastmilk, so anemia would be likely by one year.)

Soon after this, formula feeding began to be common, and the 'wean 9-12 months'
rule was simply carried over to formula.
Plus, there was lots of concern about encouraging children to become mature and
independent as soon as possible, and getting babies off the bottle would aid
that.
(And, of course, once a baby switched from formula to cows milk, it made
practical sense to switch him to a cup, since the practice of preparing the
formula and sterlizing the bottles went hand in hand.)

Today, I think different doctors have different attitudes. (Just as with
breastfeeding.) Some will push to get baby off the bottle early. Others figure
that baby will wean when he's ready....

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old July 9th 03, 02:25 AM
dragonlady

In article
,
dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
"dejablues" wrote:

From http://www.aap.org/pubserv/weaning.htm

[...]

My mother was unable to breastfeed (or at least believed she was unable;
since I'm 51 and my youngest sister is 33, it's been a while). But she
absolutly insisted that the BIGGEST advantage to breastfeeding was that
breastfed babies were never propped: they were always in contact with
another human being when they were being fed. So, in our house, any
baby being given a bottle was always also being held. She also never
let the baby hold the bottle without someone else's hand on it, too.
(Added bonus was that Mom had a good excuse to get off her feet -- and
with, at one point, four teenagers and a toddler and a baby, I'm sure
that came in handy.)

While this is different from the APA's position, it is consistant.

Oh -- and she also never put anything but formula in bottles; water and
juice were drunk out of cups or glasses -- and I don't think she ever
owned a sippy cup.

meh

Old July 9th 03, 03:13 AM
Banty

In article ,
dragonlady says...

In article ,
"dejablues" wrote:

From http://www.aap.org/pubserv/weaning.htm

[...]

Well, this is one of those medical things where it's good to know the reasoning,
then intellegently apply it to one's own situation.

I let my son have his bottles until he weaned himself off of them at 18 months.
He had been unintersted in an evening bottle for some time - he hung on to his
*morning* bottle, which he'd always toss somewhere when he was done (he never
did much have a lovey of any sort). There was no temptation for me to leave him
to fall asleep with milk in his mouth.

Similar with the rule not to warm up bottles in the microwave. Once I read up
on it and found that it's not a matter of the milk deteriorating or anything
like that, but rather a matter of concern over hot spots in unmixed milk, I went
ahead and heated his bottles up in the microwave. Because I know, with just me
in the house, with a firm habit of shaking the bottle after microwaving, it
wouldn't be a problem.

Banty

Old July 9th 03, 04:31 AM
Truffles

Ruth Shear wrote:

Truffles wrote:

I'm trying to teach them to drink from an open cup. Right now they sit
on a towel and drink from the cup, but half the time they pour out the
water to see what happens. LOL! ;-)

Us too. Just make sure you clean up ALL the spills. DS has had several
nasty spills by stepping in the smallest drop or two of water on the
floor which send his feet flying up and he falls backwards landing on
the back of his head first before the rest of his body lands. The last
time this happened we spent a few hours in hospital getting a CAT scan
to rule out concussion (because he hit his head the same day that he
caught a rotavirus so his vomiting was a coincidence).

Alas, we have carpet in our house. :-(

But, thanks for the warning. It might not be very pertinent to us but
I'm sure it is for others.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old July 9th 03, 07:27 AM
H Schinske

Dorothy wrote:

Frankly I think it's hogwash. Security objects are not detrimental
in fact they are helpful to babies emotional health. If he does get
attached to a bottle so what.. Let him carry around one with water
or an empty one.

In fact a different page on the AAP site quoted says exactly this, though not
about bottles as such: "Despite myths to the contrary, transitional objects are
not a sign of weakness or insecurity, and there's no reason to keep your child
from using one. In fact, a transitional object can be so helpful that you may
want to help him choose one and build it into his nighttime ritual."
http://www.aap.org/pubserv/transobj.htm

I found the juxtaposition pretty funny. :-)

--Helen, a Linus fan from way back
Old July 9th 03, 02:10 PM
Tai

Truffles wrote:
What is the reasoning behind weaning off of bottles to sippy cups by
one year? Are there studies showing detrimental effects from
continued use
of bottles?

It just seems to me one year is a little early to wean off a bottle.
Also, *IMO* a sippy cup is just a glorified bottle that's harder to
clean.

I'm in no hurry to wean my twins off of bottles. Nipples are easier to
clean than valves. They take their water in sippy cups and milk in
bottles.

Does anyone know?

I'm not sure why there's such a rush to get rid of bottles after 12 months.
My feeling was always that I would at least comfort breastfeed a toddler
into his third year if he wanted it. So it seemed natural to continue bottle
feeding that long for the same reasons. I was able to bf my eldest child
until he weaned himself at around 18 months but my daughter was bottlefed
from 3 - 4 months until 2ish. I think she gave it up when she dropped her
daytime nap and she was then ready to let it go. My youngest is almost 30
months and he has a bottle of cow's milk when going to bed and sometimes
when he's ill or upset.

I am reluctant to stop it just yet just because it is so successful as a
calming agent. Another reason is that he is one of those children who isn't
very interested in food and exists on fruit, yoghurt and vegemite toast.
However, he's starting to drop his daytime nap so I don't think his bottle
will last much longer. He can drink out of a normal cup and bottles are
always given from someone's arms and never left in his cot. None of my
children have had trouble with their teeth or speech, and, though none were
early talkers, the older two had no problems and speak well (13 and 11) and
the youngest is progressing normally.

I think you should do whatever you feel is good for your babies and what
makes your life easiest. Especially with twins!

BTW I've always found straw cups better than sippy cups. When they tip them
over you only get a small amount of spillage from whatever's in the straw at
the time and I found my children could suck on a straw far more effectively
and earlier than they could on a valved sippy cup.

Tai