Reason for weaning from bottle at 1 yo?

Old July 9th 03, 02:44 PM
Sue

Default Reason for weaning from bottle at 1 yo?

I weaned two of my children off of the bottle at a year and my oldest off of
the bottle at 15 months. The reason? Well mostly because that's what the
docs said and the baby books AND I wanted them off because if you wait until
a little later when they are toddlers, then it becomes much harder. None of
my kids minded having the bottle taken away at that point. They were
drinking out of sippy cups since six months. My oldest was the only one that
had a hard time and she was 15 months. So the next two, I got them off of it
sooner so I didn't want to miss my window of opportunity.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Truffles wrote in message
What is the reasoning behind weaning off of bottles to sippy cups by one
year? Are there studies showing detrimental effects from continued use
of bottles?

It just seems to me one year is a little early to wean off a bottle.
Also, *IMO* a sippy cup is just a glorified bottle that's harder to clean.

I'm in no hurry to wean my twins off of bottles. Nipples are easier to
clean than valves. They take their water in sippy cups and milk in

bottles.

Does anyone know?

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old July 9th 03, 04:33 PM
Banty

In article , Truffles says...

Sue wrote:
dejablues wrote:
Because, like toilet-training, there is a window of opportunity in
which a child is more amenable to change.

Truffles wrote in message
????? I don't understand the connection?

What don't you get? You don't understand the window of opportunity?

If you don't understand, then there are certain ages and stages that
children go through that they are more willing to have something changed.
Like introducing solids, weaning from the breast, potty training,
introducing a sippy cup. There are certain times in babies when something
can be changed and it is much easier to do rather than waiting later.

I've never potty trained a child before. I was under the assumption it
wasn't about windows of opportunity but about the child being ready for
the change. That is why I couldn't see the connection between potty
training and taking away a bottle.

Same here. The potty training *and* the bottle weaning can be child-directed,
unless there is a specifc issue with the bottle feeding.

There may be a window of opportunity for early potty-training when 2 year olds
are eager enough to please parents to overcome other limitations (and advocates
that all potty training should happen at that point), but the bottle weaning
recommendataion as I understand it is based on needs for formula vs. teeth
appearing, etc., not a trainable "window of opporunity" concern.

Banty

Old July 9th 03, 04:50 PM
Truffles

Sue wrote:

Oh gotcha, lol. Well imo, everything has a window of opportunity to it, even
potty training. If the child is ready to be potty trained and the
opportunity is missed, then it gets harder. Potty training is harder window
because lots of 2 year olds start showing an interest in sitting on the
potty and parents mistaken it for that they are ready, but usually they are
not ready until they can make the connection of having to go and getting to
the potty on time. Potty training probably wasn't a good example.

Yes. I have heard of that interest misconception. Katerina is
interested when I use the washroom but I know she is far from ready
because she doesn't get the "connection".

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old July 9th 03, 06:17 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Banty wrote:

In article , Truffles says...

Truffles wrote in message
[...]

I'm not so sure that there isn't a "widow of opportunity" for weaning,
too.

When my twins were between 1 and 1-1/2, they both went through phases
where they seemed basically uninterested in nursing, except at bedtime.
I think it would have been easy to wean them at that point -- except
they didn't both go through that phase at the same time, and, for each
of them, seeing the other nurse seemed to trigger a reminder of some
sort that maybe THEY wanted to nurse, too.

Of course, this is purely anecdotal, but I did know quite a number of
nursing moms who weaned during that period pretty painlessly; if they
didn't, it tended to wait until the babies were over about 2-1/2.

meh

Old July 9th 03, 11:04 PM
==Daye==

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 06:49:40 -0700, "Sue"
wrote:

I didn't have any problems cleaning the sippy cups. Put them in the
dishwasher and your done.

You are assuming that *everyone* has a dishwasher. Not everyone
does... me included.

--
==Daye==
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Old July 10th 03, 12:42 PM
Banty

In article , "Sue" says...

==Daye== wrote in message
You are assuming that *everyone* has a dishwasher. Not everyone
does... me included.
==Daye==

Yeah, what's funny about that is I don't have a dishwasher either. I figured
I was the only one living in the dark ages ;o)

I rented a cabin in Wisconsin for a week for vacation. Actually, it was one of
their apartment units. It had a nice sunny eat-in kitchen with a stove, full
size refrigerator, double sink, large microwave, Formica counter, and tons of
cabinet space.

The owner at one point made a small apology for the "outdated kitchen". I think
I just frowned in puzzlement. It was some time before it occurred to me that
the only thing tht might ordinarily be in a kitchen that wasn't there was a
dishwasher.

I don't have a dishwasher at home either!

Banty

Old July 10th 03, 01:08 PM
Naomi Pardue

Yeah, what's funny about that is I don't have a dishwasher either. I figured
I was the only one living in the dark ages ;o)
--

We don't have one either.

Anyone else absolultely HATE that commercial for, I think, Chinette paper
plates where the gist of it is that the act of actually scraping a few plates
and putting them in the dishwasher is SOOO time consuming and tiring that if
you are really a loving and caring mother, you will use paper plates instead so
you can spend more quality time with your family? (Presumably the family has
also eaten take-out, since if they had actually cooked a meal, there would
STILL be pots to put in the dishwasher....)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Old July 10th 03, 04:55 PM
Truffles

wrote:

I didn't have any problems cleaning the sippy cups. Put them in the
dishwasher and your done.

You are assuming that *everyone* has a dishwasher. Not everyone
does... me included.

Actually, I do have a dishwasher but I don't like to put the bottles,
rings, and nipples in it. I find the bottles don't work as well after
they've been in there. I also found the nipples deteriorate quicker.

As for sippy cups in the dishwasher, maybe it's the type I have but I
find they just don't get as clean as if I hand wash them. And with all
the nooks and crannies of the valves and lids to the sippy cups, I find
rinse water pooled in them. Yuck.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004