Video games

Old November 2nd 06, 02:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Marie

Default Video games

"Sue" wrote in message
newsOidncBiRomef9TYnZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
Kids don't really enjoy adult conversation and I don't see
anything wrong with the kids playing the video game.

Maybe your kids don't enjoy adult conversation but most kids I know do!
On the other hand, I know an adult man who brings his gameboy to people's
homes and sits playing it instead of interacting with people.
Marie

Old November 2nd 06, 02:20 PM posted to misc.kids
bizby40

"Marie" wrote in message
"Sue" wrote in message
newsOidncBiRomef9TYnZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
Kids don't really enjoy adult conversation and I don't see
anything wrong with the kids playing the video game.

Maybe your kids don't enjoy adult conversation but most kids I know
do!
On the other hand, I know an adult man who brings his gameboy to
people's homes and sits playing it instead of interacting with
people.

But these kids must not have, or else they wouldn't have been playing
the video game. The way I see it, if my kids have friends over, I
expect them to play together with little interaction with me. If I
happen to be in the same room for some reason, I don't feel that I
need to get up and leave, but neither do I feel like I have to join
in. By the same token, if I have a friend over, the two of us will
sit and talk, and as long as the kids aren't actively bugging us, I
don't see that my friend's visit should really have an impact on them.

Bizby

Old November 2nd 06, 02:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"Marie" wrote in message
Maybe your kids don't enjoy adult conversation but most kids I know do!
On the other hand, I know an adult man who brings his gameboy to people's

homes and sits playing it instead of interacting with people.
Marie

My kids do to a point. But, are you expecting the kids to participate in all
adult conversation the whole time? Some of it can be boring for kids or not
appropriate. DD1 is more of the kid to hang with the adults, but my two
younger kids don't really care. I would be a little disheartened to have the
kids hang out with me the whole time I was talking with the adults, maybe
you like that, but I don't. The kids also like to hang out with other kids
and play and have fun. Maybe yours doesn't?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 2nd 06, 02:45 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Marie says...

"Sue" wrote in message
newsOidncBiRomef9TYnZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d@wideopenwes t.com...
Kids don't really enjoy adult conversation and I don't see
anything wrong with the kids playing the video game.

Maybe your kids don't enjoy adult conversation but most kids I know do!
On the other hand, I know an adult man who brings his gameboy to people's
homes and sits playing it instead of interacting with people.
Marie

A "drag-along" hubby? Marriage partners' needs for socializing can differ, too.

Banty

Old November 2nd 06, 03:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"Banty" wrote in message
A "drag-along" hubby? Marriage partners' needs for socializing can

differ, too.
Banty

Yep, my cousin's husband is terribly shy. He comes to gatherings and sits in
a chair away from everyone. He is much better now that he has been in the
family for a while now, but he didn't feel comfortable with talking with
others at first.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 2nd 06, 03:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Banty wrote:

In article , Marie says...

"Sue" wrote in message
newsOidncBiRomef9TYnZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d@wideopenwe st.com...
Kids don't really enjoy adult conversation and I don't see
anything wrong with the kids playing the video game.

Maybe your kids don't enjoy adult conversation but most kids I know do!
On the other hand, I know an adult man who brings his gameboy to people's
homes and sits playing it instead of interacting with people.
Marie

A "drag-along" hubby? Marriage partners' needs for socializing can differ, too.

Banty

When I was a child we didn't have video games. We did have books. I
would read if whatever it was we were doing was boring. But if
relatives were visiting, I wasn't allowed to read - bored or not. My
mom considered that it would be rude. I mostly daydreamed unless I
was actively involved in the conversation. I wasn't allowed to read
at the dinner table either.

OTOH, if I was in the car, I was allowed to read and fortunately I had
little problem with motion sickness while doing it. I see nothing
wrong with using a Gameboy or something like that while waiting in
line, or even when there are people visiting (like Bizby stated) if
they aren't grandparents or someone who expects the children to be
involved in the visit.

There has been discussion somewhere about whether it is rude for
someone to do various kinds of needlework when visiting. IMHO it
depends on the person and the needlework. A college friend of mine
could do argyle socks in the dark (we had lights out at 10 pm and she
wasn't ready to go to bed yet), so obviously she didn't have to pay a
lot of attention to her knitting, but a beginner might not be able to
knit/crochet/sew and still maintain a polite and interested demeanor.

There was also a discussion recently - maybe even here - about
whether, when some people wanted to watch a TV program, would it be
rude for a person who was not interested in the program to read or do
needlework, or I suppose play games on a computer. My own take on
that is that a football game or some other program doesn't require
conversation, and if the person isn't interested in watching, it is
rude to require them not to do anything else but watch.

Old November 2nd 06, 04:28 PM posted to misc.kids
Marie

"bizby40" wrote in message
But these kids must not have, or else they wouldn't have been playing the
video game. The way I see it, if my kids have friends over, I expect them
to play together with little interaction with me. If I happen to be in
the same room for some reason, I don't feel that I need to get up and
leave, but neither do I feel like I have to join in. By the same token,
if I have a friend over, the two of us will sit and talk, and as long as
the kids aren't actively bugging us, I don't see that my friend's visit
should really have an impact on them.

Well it seems like hte OP was talking about Family Functions, not having
friends over.
Marie

Old November 2nd 06, 04:30 PM posted to misc.kids
Marie

"Sue" wrote in message
My kids do to a point. But, are you expecting the kids to participate in
all
adult conversation the whole time? Some of it can be boring for kids or
not
appropriate. DD1 is more of the kid to hang with the adults, but my two
younger kids don't really care. I would be a little disheartened to have
the
kids hang out with me the whole time I was talking with the adults, maybe
you like that, but I don't. The kids also like to hang out with other kids
and play and have fun. Maybe yours doesn't?

If there are kids involved, sure they will go play. But if there are adults
they will have conversations with the adults. And in a family get-together,
the family does things together, not lay around playing video games. My
children happen to enjoy their families. They both play with their cousins,
AND talk to their grandparents, aunts and uncles.
Marie

Old November 2nd 06, 04:31 PM posted to misc.kids
Marie

"Banty" wrote in message
A "drag-along" hubby? Marriage partners' needs for socializing can
differ, too.

Yeah, he strongly resembles the stereotypical computer geek. The wife is
VERY outgoing, they are complete opposites.
Marie

Old November 2nd 06, 04:50 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"Marie" wrote in message
If there are kids involved, sure they will go play. But if there are

adults
they will have conversations with the adults. And in a family

get-together,
the family does things together, not lay around playing video games. My
children happen to enjoy their families. They both play with their

cousins,
AND talk to their grandparents, aunts and unclesotal hip arthroplasty

Mine too. I maintain that it is not rude for a kid to leave the adults and
go play with the others and if it involves a video game, so be it. The kid
should not be expected to remain with the adults the entire visit, unless
that was what the visit was for.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)