photo developing

Old November 27th 06, 07:26 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

Default photo developing

can anyone suggest the most cost efficient ways of getting photos developed
and getting prints of digital ones?

seems like walmart.com is quite good for the digital ones, I'm patient
enough to wait for home delivery and we don't live close to a walmart, are
there any other good ones? ease of use of the online facilities would be a
big plus.

For film, looks like costco might be good, but costco isn't convenient
either, so is there any that you mail the films off to? (I used to do that
in the UK and it worked out cheaper).

Cheers

Anne

Old November 27th 06, 08:01 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Anne Rogers wrote:
can anyone suggest the most cost efficient ways of getting photos developed
and getting prints of digital ones?

seems like walmart.com is quite good for the digital ones, I'm patient
enough to wait for home delivery and we don't live close to a walmart, are
there any other good ones? ease of use of the online facilities would be a
big plus.

For film, looks like costco might be good, but costco isn't convenient
either, so is there any that you mail the films off to? (I used to do that
in the UK and it worked out cheaper).

Cheers

Anne

We take lot of pictures on the film. We haven't converted to digital
camera yet. We always develop them at Sam's Club (owned by Walmart but
far better quality). Sam's is a warehouse club like CostCo. May or may
not be available where you live. We had bad experience with CostCo
photo development in our area. Also, even in Sam's, the one hour photo
is far superior to the 3 day. One hour costs about twice as much as 3
day development.

The point is, even with a chain, some locations are better than the
others depending on the experience of the photo lab technician. May be
I'm more picky than others when it comes to picture quality.

If you print lot of pictures from your digital camera, you might want
to invest in a good quality printer.

Old November 28th 06, 12:19 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
can anyone suggest the most cost efficient ways of getting photos
developed and getting prints of digital ones?

seems like walmart.com is quite good for the digital ones, I'm patient
enough to wait for home delivery and we don't live close to a walmart, are
there any other good ones? ease of use of the online facilities would be a
big plus.

For film, looks like costco might be good, but costco isn't convenient
either, so is there any that you mail the films off to? (I used to do that
in the UK and it worked out cheaper).

Cheers

Anne

You can go photosite.com or photos.yahoo.com or many others and upload your
photos there. Once they are there, you can get them printed for less than a
quarter for 4x6 shots.

With the photos.yahoo.com and at riteaid.com, you can upload photos and get
the prints in a store (at photos.yahoo.com, you go to Target, I hope you can
figure out where you would go for riteaid.com).

Anyway, there are other online ways to upload and get photos.

The cost of printing photos at home is usually higher than getting photos at
a store. I think it averages $0.50 for a 4x6 versus less than a quarter for
the stores.

Another option is to get a color laser printer. For a color picture with 60%
coverage, it costs like 30 to 40 cents a page, with the paper. This might be
good enough for most of your photos. Just print the ones that are really
important at a regular photo place; use the color laser for the rest.

Note: The cost per page is from HP's claims on its web page.

Jeff

Old November 28th 06, 12:49 AM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Anne Rogers wrote:
can anyone suggest the most cost efficient ways of getting photos developed
and getting prints of digital ones?

seems like walmart.com is quite good for the digital ones, I'm patient
enough to wait for home delivery and we don't live close to a walmart, are
there any other good ones? ease of use of the online facilities would be a
big plus.

There are a ton of places. I really like the quality of prints from
shutterfly.com. They may not be the cheapest, but I've had alot
of good luck with them. Photoworks.com is good too, I bought
my Christmas cards from them this year. clubphoto.com and
winkflash.com are also ones I've used. Many of these places have
prepaid plans so if you buy a large number of prints ahead of
time the cost per print goes down, then you just use the print
credits as you want to order prints. Also, always google for
coupons (ie: shutterfly coupon) and there are usually deals
(I got 20% off my cards). Winkflash also let's you share
your photos and others can download high resolution copies
of the pictures, which is a nice way to share that doesn't involve
emailing big pictures.

Other places are snapfish.com and ofoto.com but I don't
have personal experience with them. If I need a print fast,
I've used both walgreens and target (through yahoo) to
upload pictures and then go pick them up.

I've heard pretty good things about Sam's club, but don't
know about the quality.

For film, looks like costco might be good, but costco isn't convenient
either, so is there any that you mail the films off to? (I used to do that
in the UK and it worked out cheaper).

I think most of the online places will develop film for you. Here's
shutterfly's pricing:
http://www.shutterfly.com/help/prici..._film.jsp#film

Mary W