Breastfeeding & Adoption?

Old July 21st 06, 02:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jo

Default Breastfeeding & Adoption?

I spoke to my cousin who is going to be adopting. She asked about
breastfeeding and how can she produce milk. There is a lot of
information online, but I was hoping to hear from someone who had
actually done it and how they went about it. How difficult was it?

Jo
Old July 21st 06, 04:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
arachne

Jo wrote:
I spoke to my cousin who is going to be adopting. She asked about
breastfeeding and how can she produce milk. There is a lot of
information online, but I was hoping to hear from someone who had
actually done it and how they went about it. How difficult was it?

Jo

the australian breastfeeding association produces a great booklet called
relactation & adoptive breastfeeding. (see
http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/prod141.htm)

you could also try contacting them via email counselling (see
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/prod...ling.asp#email) to be
put in touch with counsellors or mothers who have been through adoptive
breastfeeding. i know there is at least one counsellor who has
sucessfully breastfed her adopted child.

or if you are in the usa or canada, you could try la leche league -
http://www.lalecheleague.org/

HTH

--
elizabeth (in australia)
mum to DS1 "cheese" (almost 4 yrs) & DS2 "chalk" (almost 10 mths)

"Dog for sale: eats anything and is fond of children" - Classified Ad

"If you're ever in doubt, throw a pepper in the air. If it fails to come
down, you have gone mad, so don't trust in anything." - Gregory Maguire,
"Mirror Mirror"
Old July 21st 06, 09:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

"Jo" wrote in message
I spoke to my cousin who is going to be adopting. She asked about
breastfeeding and how can she produce milk. There is a lot of information
online, but I was hoping to hear from someone who had actually done it and
how they went about it. How difficult was it?

I know Jamie who posts on misc.kids.pregnancy tried it, she stopped fairly
fast though, I think they didn't have enough warning for her to do all the
preparation, but it was sore nipples in the end I think.

Try posting over there and I'm sure she'll tell you what she found out etc.

Anne

Old July 21st 06, 09:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Kim E

This site has message boards:

http://www.fourfriends.com/abrw/

-kim

Old July 22nd 06, 01:35 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Jo wrote:
I spoke to my cousin who is going to be adopting. She asked about
breastfeeding and how can she produce milk. There is a lot of
information online, but I was hoping to hear from someone who had
actually done it and how they went about it. How difficult was it?

http://adoptivebreastfeeding.wordpress.com/ is the blog of someone
who's currently in the process of lactating for her upcoming adoption.
I don't know your cousin's situation, but this woman has already
breastfed once and is therefore relactating, which makes things
automatically easier for her; and she is adopting an older baby, so
she's presumably going to end up EPing rather than nursing. I don't
know how those factors compare to your cousin's case. However, she
might find it an interesting read.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell
Old July 22nd 06, 03:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jo

Sarah Vaughan wrote:
Jo wrote:

I spoke to my cousin who is going to be adopting. She asked about
breastfeeding and how can she produce milk. There is a lot of
information online, but I was hoping to hear from someone who had
actually done it and how they went about it. How difficult was it?

http://adoptivebreastfeeding.wordpress.com/ is the blog of someone
who's currently in the process of lactating for her upcoming adoption. I
don't know your cousin's situation, but this woman has already breastfed
once and is therefore relactating, which makes things automatically
easier for her; and she is adopting an older baby, so she's presumably
going to end up EPing rather than nursing. I don't know how those
factors compare to your cousin's case. However, she might find it an
interesting read.

All the best,

Sarah

Thank you, and thank you everyone for the info. I think I know which
Jamie you mean. As soon as I get a chance, I will pop off an email to her.

Jo
Old July 24th 06, 06:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

"arachne" wrote in message
Jo wrote:
I spoke to my cousin who is going to be adopting. She asked about
breastfeeding and how can she produce milk. There is a lot of
information online, but I was hoping to hear from someone who had
actually done it and how they went about it. How difficult was it?

Jo

the australian breastfeeding association produces a great booklet called
relactation & adoptive breastfeeding. (see
http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/prod141.htm)

There was an article from an adoptive bf Mum in the latest Essence mag too I
think. A very interesting read, not just about the methodology for
stimulation the production of breastmilk, but on the emotional attachments
formed and strengthened by bf.
Amanda

Old July 24th 06, 12:06 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
arachne

FlowerGirl wrote:
"arachne" wrote in message

Jo wrote:

I spoke to my cousin who is going to be adopting. She asked about
breastfeeding and how can she produce milk. There is a lot of
information online, but I was hoping to hear from someone who had
actually done it and how they went about it. How difficult was it?

Jo

the australian breastfeeding association produces a great booklet called
relactation & adoptive breastfeeding. (see
http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/prod141.htm)

There was an article from an adoptive bf Mum in the latest Essence mag too I
think. A very interesting read, not just about the methodology for
stimulation the production of breastmilk, but on the emotional attachments
formed and strengthened by bf.
Amanda

yep. interesting article. i was going to post about it but it's not
available online. good reason to subscribe!