Thimerosal Definite Cause Of Autism

Old February 3rd 07, 04:11 AM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.nursing,talk.politics.medicine
Jan

Default Thimerosal Definite Cause Of Autism

On Feb 2, 9:22 pm, Peter Bowditch wrote:
"8'FED" wrote:
JohnDoe wrote:
JOHN wrote:
"Peter Bowditch" wrote:

who cares what he thinks, MMR obviously caused his sons MMR

You care enough about what he thinks to demand that I show you where
he says it. If you think his opinion is irrelevant, perhaps you should
contact whoever owns whale.to and get Gallup's article removed.

LOL. You used his "alleged" comment about autism not being caused by
mercury but only by MMR, which I asked you to produce,

to make out that is waht we all think
so you don't produce that, only his comment about MMR
time waster

Having trouble with the meaning of the word 'only'? If Gallup claims
that the *only* possible cause of autism is MMR, then he claims, albeit
implicitely, that mercury (read: thimerosal, which is not mercury) does
not cause autism. Like Peter Bowditch said, that is what 'only' means.

Yeah, but in the quotation under discussion, the word "ON" has three
occurences, the word "OUR" has two occurences, but the word
"ONLY" (which lies between the two alphabetically) has no occurences
whatsoever.

I don't like to sound as though I'm defending John in any way (let me
be explicit: neither mercury nor MMR cause or influence the onset of
autism), but in this case I must confess that I don't follow the sense
of Peter's argument.

If the point of contention were over whether I have said: "Being hit
on the head with a plank of wood is the only possible cause for any
headache; nobody ever suffers a headache due to being hit on the head
with an iron bar", then it would not be pertinent to quote me as
saying: "I have established to my satisfaction that my headache was
caused by being hit on the head with a plank of wood".

For the same reason, I don't see the pertinence of the quotation Peter
chose to share.

Adrian.

Sometimes I feel like poking anti-vaccination liars with a sharp
pointy stick for no other reason than they need poking with a sharp
pointy stick.

I keep seeing absolute statements about the cause of autism. The title
of this thread "Thimerosal Definite Cause Of Autism" is an example.
Leave aside for the moment the fact that there is no scientifically
verifiable link between thimerosal and autism

snip

More blatant lies.

http://www.nationalautismassociation...Pediatrics.pdf

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...2/213632.shtml

A new study shows that autism may be linked after all
to the use of mercury in childhood vaccines, despite
government's previous claims to the contrary.

An article in the March 10, 2006, issue of the Journal
of American Physicians and Surgeons shows that since
mercury was removed from childhood vaccines, the
alarming increase in reported rates of autism and
other neurological disorders (NDs) in children not
only stopped, but actually dropped sharply - by as
much as 35 percent.

Using the government's own databases, independent
researchers analyzed reports of childhood NDs,
including autism, before and after removal of
mercury-based preservatives. Authors David A. Geier,
B.A. and Mark R. Geier, M.D., Ph.D. analyze data from
the CDC's Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System
(VAERS) and the California Department of Developmental
Services (CDDS) in "Early Downward Trends in
Neurodevelopmental Disorders Following Removal of
Thimerosal-Containing Vaccines."

The numbers from California show that reported autism
rates hit a high of 800 in May 2003. If that trend had
continued, the reports would have skyrocketed to more
than 1000 by the beginning of 2006. But in fact, the
Geiers report that the number actually went down to
only 620, a real decrease of 22 percent, and a
decrease from the projections of 35 percent.

This analysis directly contradicts 2004
recommendations of the Institute of Medicine which
examined vaccine safety data from the National
Immunization Program (NIP) of the CDC. While not
willing to either rule out or to corroborate a
relationship between mercury and autism, the IOM
soft-pedaled its findings, and decided no more studies
were needed. The authors write: "The IOM stated that
the evidence favored rejection of a causal
relationship between thimerosal and autism, that such
a relationship was not biologically plausible, and
that no further studies should be conducted to
evaluate it."

As more and more vaccines were added to the mandatory
schedule of vaccines for children, the dose of the
mercury-based preservative thimerosal rose, so that
the cumulative dose injected into babies exceeded the
toxic threshold set by many government agencies.
Mercury is known to damage nerve cells in very low
concentrations.

The concern about vaccines may actually be underrated,
as it is generally acknowledged that the voluntary
reporting of such disorders has resulted in vast
underreporting of new cases. For example, the Iowa
state legislature banned thimerosal from all vaccines
administered there after it documented a 700-fold
increase in that state alone. California followed
suit, and 32 states are considering doing so.

Up until about 1989 preschool children got only 3
vaccines (polio, DPT, MMR). By 1999 the CDC
recommended a total of 22 vaccines to be given before
children reach the 1st grade, including Hepatitis B,
which is given to newborns within the first 24 hours
of birth. Many of these vaccines contained mercury. In
the 1990s approximately 40 million children were
injected with mercury-containing vaccines.

The cumulative amount of mercury being given to
children in this number of vaccines would be an amount
187 times the EPA daily exposure limit.

The Geiers conclude that mercury continues to be a
concern, as it is still added to some of the most
commonly-used vaccines, such as those for flu.

Despite its removal from many childhood vaccines, thimerosal is still
routinely added to some formulations of influenza vaccine administered
to U.S. infants, as well as to several other vaccines (e.g. tetanus-
diphtheria and monovalent tetanus) administered to older children and
adults. In 2004, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) of the U.S. National
Academy of Sciences (NAS) retreated from the stated 1999 goal of the
AAP and the PHS to remove thimerosal from U.S. vaccines as soon as
possible...As a result, assessing the safety of TCVs [thimerosal-
containing vaccines] is a matter of significant importance."
Editor's Note: The new study confirms claims made by Dr. Russell
Blaylock in the Blaylock Wellness Report that childhood vaccines that
contain thimerosal, a mercury based preservative, could cause serious
harm to children, including autism. Dr. Blaylock has also warned that
vaccines for adults, such as the flu shot, pose dangers.

Peter Bowditch

Old February 3rd 07, 04:35 AM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.nursing,talk.politics.medicine
Jeff

oups.com...
"8'FED" wrote:
JohnDoe wrote:
JOHN wrote:
"Peter Bowditch" wrote:

[...]

The words that you quoted said "may have been."

That's the best you can do.

The fact of the matter is that mercury has been removed from almost all
vaccines in the US, but there has not been a significant decline in the rate
of autism nor has then been any good evidence linking autism and mercury or
thimerosal.

And link above is to safe minds, which is not an unbiased organization.

You and Peter have a disagreement over the interpretation of the evidence.
Peter happens to correct, IMHO. However, there is no need for anyone to call
anyone else a liar.

Jeff

garbage deleted

Old February 3rd 07, 05:47 AM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.nursing,talk.politics.medicine
Peter Bowditch

"8'FED" wrote:
JohnDoe wrote:
JOHN wrote:
"Peter Bowditch" wrote:

[...]

Like I said, "no scientifically verifiable link between thimerosal and
autism".
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au