door lock

Old July 31st 03, 04:25 AM
toypup

Default door lock

DS lock me out of the house the other day. I had to get a locksmith to let
me in and we found him drinking from the dog dish. Now, he's become an
escape artist. I've found he's quickly learned how to unlock doors (wish he
knew how when he locked me out). I need to keep the doors locked. Anyone
know of a lock I can put on the door that is childproof? I know of the knob
covers, but we have lever type doorknobs, so that doesn't work for us.

Old July 31st 03, 04:51 AM
Leigh Menconi

We use a doorknob that doesn't have a lock but there's a keyed deadbolt
above it that even my 8yo has trouble with sometimes. Just keep the key out
of reach. This also has the advantage of not automatically locking when you
close the door so it's harder to lock yourself out.

Leigh in raLeigh

Old July 31st 03, 05:26 AM
toypup

"Leigh Menconi" wrote in message
nk.net...
We use a doorknob that doesn't have a lock but there's a keyed deadbolt
above it that even my 8yo has trouble with sometimes. Just keep the key

out
of reach. This also has the advantage of not automatically locking when

you
close the door so it's harder to lock yourself out.

I've seen those, but it scares me that in an emergency, I would panic and
not find the key or forget where it normally is.

Old July 31st 03, 05:36 AM
Denise

"toypup" wrote in message
DS lock me out of the house the other day. I had to get a locksmith to

let
me in and we found him drinking from the dog dish. Now, he's become an
escape artist. I've found he's quickly learned how to unlock doors (wish

he
knew how when he locked me out). I need to keep the doors locked. Anyone
know of a lock I can put on the door that is childproof? I know of the

knob
covers, but we have lever type doorknobs, so that doesn't work for us.

could you install a hook and eye at the top of the door, out of reach?

Old July 31st 03, 06:29 AM
toto

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 03:25:22 GMT, "toypup" wrote:

DS lock me out of the house the other day. I had to get a locksmith to let
me in and we found him drinking from the dog dish. Now, he's become an
escape artist. I've found he's quickly learned how to unlock doors (wish he
knew how when he locked me out). I need to keep the doors locked. Anyone
know of a lock I can put on the door that is childproof? I know of the knob
covers, but we have lever type doorknobs, so that doesn't work for us.

Get a hook and eye and put up high where he can't reach it.

That would be cheap and probably work unless he is a climber and
pushes chairs over or something like that.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 31st 03, 07:11 AM
just me

"toto" wrote in message
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 03:25:22 GMT, "toypup" wrote:

DS lock me out of the house the other day. I had to get a locksmith to

let
me in and we found him drinking from the dog dish. Now, he's become an
escape artist. I've found he's quickly learned how to unlock doors (wish

he
knew how when he locked me out). I need to keep the doors locked.

Anyone
know of a lock I can put on the door that is childproof? I know of the

knob
covers, but we have lever type doorknobs, so that doesn't work for us.

Get a hook and eye and put up high where he can't reach it.

and you can get some hook/eyes where the hook actually has this spring
arrangement that closes around the eye so you don't just lift the hook to
open the lock, you have to push back the spring. That would be harder for
the average toddler to handle if they did manage to reach it.

-Aula.

---

Old July 31st 03, 07:55 AM
Cindy Kandolf

"toypup" writes:
| DS lock me out of the house the other day. I had to get a locksmith to let
| me in and we found him drinking from the dog dish. Now, he's become an
| escape artist. I've found he's quickly learned how to unlock doors (wish he
| knew how when he locked me out). I need to keep the doors locked. Anyone
| know of a lock I can put on the door that is childproof? I know of the knob
| covers, but we have lever type doorknobs, so that doesn't work for us.

We live along a very busy road, so we didn't want our kids to manage
to escape even once. The front door is not far from the road. We
have a lock on that door that must be opened by a key from either
side. A key is always stored near the door - the nine-year-old knows
where it is and can reach it, the three-year-old can't, at least not
without a lot of time and effort. (And obviously babysitters,
overnight guests etc. are told about this and shown the key.)

The back door can be opened without a key from the inside. However,
our yard is fenced in, and the only gate closes with a hook-and-eye
that the three-year-old can't even see, let alone reach.

So far he's only made his escape once, when we had houseguests and the
door was left open while we were carrying their luggage in %-}

I think your only practical options are hooks-and-eyes or key-only
locks. I've heard of parents using motion detectors or alarms on the
door, but the problem is, they only let you know that the child has
opened the door and is in the process of making an escape. Depending
on how quick they are and what hazards exist outside (Robby could be
in the street and get hit by a car before I could run down the
stairs), that could be too little warning. Plus of course they cost a
lot more than the other options.

- Cindy Kandolf, mamma to Kenneth (9) and Robby (3)
****** Bærum, Norway
Bilingual Families Web Page:
http://www.nethelp.no/cindy/biling-fam.html

Old July 31st 03, 12:03 PM
Kender

We just put a finishing nail facing up on the top of the door and put the
key on that. That way you don't mess up the wood around the door that you
can see. However, the other day DS got a yard stick, knocked the key off the
nail and I found him trying to open the door anyway!
Good luck.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

Old July 31st 03, 07:37 PM
Welches

toypup wrote in message
DS lock me out of the house the other day. I had to get a locksmith to

let
me in and we found him drinking from the dog dish. Now, he's become an
escape artist. I've found he's quickly learned how to unlock doors (wish

he
knew how when he locked me out). I need to keep the doors locked. Anyone
know of a lock I can put on the door that is childproof? I know of the

knob
covers, but we have lever type doorknobs, so that doesn't work for us.

We've put a chain right at the top of the door where dd couldn't reach even
with a chair. It can be fitted with a padlock if she did manage to, but I
don't think she will for many years. Cost us about £5 from B & Q.
dd locked herself in a toilet when we were out the other day. Scared me for
a few minutes until i managed to unlock it from the outside. Luckily it
scared her too and she hasn't gone in one alone since. Time to disable the
toilet locks at home I think....
Debbie

Old August 1st 03, 06:48 AM
Denise

"JoAnna" wrote in message
t...

"Denise" wrote in message

"toypup" wrote in message
DS lock me out of the house the other day. I had to get a locksmith

let
me in and we found him drinking from the dog dish. Now, he's become

an
escape artist. I've found he's quickly learned how to unlock doors

(wish
he
knew how when he locked me out). I need to keep the doors locked.

Anyone
know of a lock I can put on the door that is childproof? I know of

the
knob
covers, but we have lever type doorknobs, so that doesn't work for us.

could you install a hook and eye at the top of the door, out of reach?

that type can just pull out of the wall if you yank the door hard enough.

have a deadbolt that is just too hard for a kiddie to turn, it is only

keyed
on the outside. maybe you can find one like that?

I don't know too many toddlers that can pull a properly installed hook and
eye from a door. There's always those security locks that are top of
apartment doors, too. The kind that have the slidey-thing (yeah, I'm
technical ) My children all mastered deadbolts at a young age. Damn
mechanically inclined children!