How can I improve my 3rd grade kid Math and Spelling skills (any web sites)

Old February 10th 04, 11:08 PM
Santa

Default How can I improve my 3rd grade kid Math and Spelling skills (any web sites)

My kid is poor in Math and spelling, Is there anywhere I can some
questions, which I can print and give those questions for my kid to
improve Maths and Spelling. Appreciated for any links or some info.

Old February 11th 04, 05:38 AM
Elizabeth Gardner

In article ,
(Santa) wrote:

My kid is poor in Math and spelling, Is there anywhere I can some
questions, which I can print and give those questions for my kid to
improve Maths and Spelling. Appreciated for any links or some info.

Try these

www.superkids.com
school.discovery.com

Old February 11th 04, 05:40 AM
Kevin Karplus

In article , Santa wrote:
My kid is poor in Math and spelling, Is there anywhere I can some
questions, which I can print and give those questions for my kid to
improve Maths and Spelling. Appreciated for any links or some info.

I can't help with spelling, but I've been collecting a few math
education sites at
http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus/abe...education.html

One of the most useful for you would be
http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/math/
which is a good, free worksheet creator for addition, subtraction,
multiplication, division, greater than/less than, and rounding.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Affiliations for identification only.

Old February 11th 04, 11:39 PM
Jeff

"Santa" wrote in message
m...

My kid is poor in Math and spelling, Is there anywhere I can some
questions, which I can print and give those questions for my kid to
improve Maths and Spelling. Appreciated for any links or some info.

I don't think technology is the only answer. 3x5" cards with questions
(3+5=) and answers on the other is one way to go. It will let you spend
quality time with your kid, too.

Jeff

Old February 12th 04, 01:12 AM
H Schinske

Jeff ) wrote:

I don't think technology is the only answer. 3x5" cards with questions
(3+5=) and answers on the other is one way to go. It will let you spend
quality time with your kid, too.

It would be even better to show math patterns with things like rows of beans,
so that you get a visual sense of things like 3 + 5 adding up to the same thing
as 2 + 6, that kind of stuff. Using math in every day ways, like shopping and
cooking, is helpful too. Kids need to see you doing this kind of thing to think
of it as normal and what everyone should know, rather than just "school stuff"
that is being forced on them. Same with reading.

--Helen

Old February 12th 04, 01:13 AM
Sandi Jones

If you go to a teacher supply hose they have these really great flash
cards, they cost more, but I will explain WHY they are cool. They are
triangles with the facts written on them, rather than the standard
rectangles. What difference does this make, you may ask? Well, the WHOLE
problem is right there on the card. Here's two sample cards for
demonstration.

4+4
8

2+3
5

On the first card, you can hold your hand over the bottom, and the
problem is 4+4=?
If you hold your hand over a corner, the problem is 4+?=8
This enables you to review the same facts with the same cards from
different directions.

The same applies with the other card
2+3=?
2+?=5
?+3=5

They are heavy card stock, with a good assortment of problems per
package. If you cannot find them in your area, I'll search online, i
don't recall the name. If you need me to look, I'll check some of my
catalogs or local stores to at least get you the name to help you find
these great cards. Actually, you could even make your own with poster
board and a broad marker, but sometimes we don't get around to making
these things...

Sandi Jones

Old February 12th 04, 04:52 AM
Kevin Karplus

In article , Sandi Jones wrote:
They are heavy card stock, with a good assortment of problems per
package. If you cannot find them in your area, I'll search online, i
don't recall the name. If you need me to look, I'll check some of my
catalogs or local stores to at least get you the name to help you find
these great cards. Actually, you could even make your own with poster
board and a broad marker, but sometimes we don't get around to making
these things...

I'm not a big fan of flash cards, but you might want to check out the
math-n-stuff store in Seattle (they're on the web, if you aren't in
Seattle) for a good collection of math educational material.

Old February 12th 04, 07:09 PM
Beth Gallagher

Have you spoken to his/her teacher? Teachers get a bad rap, but some of them
are actually experts in their field, and your child's teacher presumably has
noticed his/her troubles and may have some ideas on the best approach to
take with your particular child. Different kids learn differently -- some
benefit from visual aids, others from aural input, etc.

m...