For those who have fed EBM exclusively...

Old January 3rd 06, 12:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default For those who have fed EBM exclusively...

I was wondering how much and how often you usually pump? I am doing an
every 4 hr routine round the clock, and pump about 6-8 oz per side (for a
grand total of about 72-96oz per day). Emily is 3 wks old, and generally is
eating 16 oz per 24 hrs. So I am freezing at least 42oz per day. I now
have over 100 6 oz bags of frozen milk. Should I cut back on my pumping
frequency? Should I cut back on how much I pump from each breast at each
pumping? Or do I keep pumping away storing all my extra milk for future
use?

Betsy

Old January 3rd 06, 01:03 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
I was wondering how much and how often you usually pump?

In the first few weeks, about every three or four hours and towards the end,
twice a day.

As far as amounts, I was doing...thirty something ounces a day, IIRC.

Jess

Old January 3rd 06, 01:42 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

My wife goes every 4 hours. Less at night. Once before bed (9pm) and
once when she gets up with DD (around 6am).

She gets 6-8oz per size. We freeze a lot of it. Then start rotating
the month old frozen in and freeze more.

DD eats 6-8oz every 3-4 hours, except at night where she sleeps normally
from 6-7pm to 6-7am. She is 11.5 weeks old.

You can never have too much.

Old January 3rd 06, 02:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
Kind of what I was thinking too... But I was wondering with the quantity
being so much higher than what an exclusively bf baby would eat, do we
require different nutrition?

No. Just healthy.

Higher calories?

'bout 500 extra, tops.

More protein or calcium?

A bit of extra calcium couldn't hurt.

Is the quality of bm at all compromised when you pump so much? Or is it
nutritionally the same no matter what? How many calories are in an ounce
of bm anyways?

It's the same, and about 110, IIRC.

Jess

Old January 3rd 06, 02:45 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Legbuh" wrote in message
. ..
My wife goes every 4 hours. Less at night. Once before bed (9pm) and
once when she gets up with DD (around 6am).

She gets 6-8oz per size. We freeze a lot of it. Then start rotating the
month old frozen in and freeze more.

DD eats 6-8oz every 3-4 hours, except at night where she sleeps normally
from 6-7pm to 6-7am. She is 11.5 weeks old.

You can never have too much.

Kind of what I was thinking too... But I was wondering with the quantity
being so much higher than what an exclusively bf baby would eat, do we
require different nutrition? Higher calories? More protein or calcium? I
am so thirsty all the time, I am pushing my fluid intake throughout the day,
and even drink at night. Is the quality of bm at all compromised when you

Old January 3rd 06, 04:02 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I don't know how many calories are in one ounce, but 110 seems way to high
of an estimate. Teh recommendation for a 1 year old is about 900 - 1000
calories per day, so if you add in the solids and the (about) 4 breastfeeds
my 14 month old is getting now, that would be way more than 1000 calories at
110 cals per ounce. (assuming 4 ounces per feeding session but I'm sure she
is taking more than that)

Old January 3rd 06, 04:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Stormlady" wrote in message
I don't know how many calories are in one ounce, but 110 seems way to high
of an estimate. Teh recommendation for a 1 year old is about 900 - 1000
calories per day, so if you add in the solids and the (about) 4 breastfeeds
my 14 month old is getting now, that would be way more than 1000 calories
at 110 cals per ounce. (assuming 4 ounces per feeding session but I'm sure
she is taking more than that)

I'm sorry, I'm a dope these days. It might be 110-ish calories for an eight
ounce bottle. Someone around here has a link for a calorie thingamajiggy; my
shortcut to it is on a laptop on the opposite end of town.

Jess

Old January 3rd 06, 04:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
There is no way that there is 110 calories in an ounce - maybe in a cup?
If 110 was correct, I'd be putting out over 8000 calories per day in
breast milk.

Someone else just pointed that out to me, and it might be 110-ish calories
for an eight ounce bottle. I'm pretty dopey these days.

Jess

Old January 3rd 06, 05:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

oregonchick wrote:
How many
calories are in an ounce of bm anyways?

20 (on average, some variability from woman to woman and session to
session)

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 2 and 1/2