POLL: Question about upper elementary math

Old October 16th 03, 06:01 AM
chiam margalit

Default POLL: Question about upper elementary math

Could you please answer the following questions IF you have a child
who has entered 4th grade. It's OK for your child to be older, but I
only need information regarding 4th grade math for a client of mine.
I need responses from *every* US state as well as from overseas. I'm
looking for a wide dispersal of respondants, so if you have friends
with kids in this age group, please don't hesitate to forward this.
TIA!

What State/Province/Country do you live in?

What grade is your child(ren) currently in?

Is your child in public or private school? (Please NO homeschooling!)

Is your child in a gifted or Resource Room program?

What math Texts does your child use?

Has your child been introduced to the Stem and Leaf Plot at school?

During what grade?

Have you as a parent ever heard of a stem and leaf plot?

From where did you learn about this? At what age?

Can your child create his/her own stem and leaf plot?

Could you explain a stem and leaf plot without the text to a friend or
neighbor?

Does your school use Connected Math?

Thanks! Once I get results, I'll explain why I needed them. Right now
I can't taint the data.

Marjorie
Old October 16th 03, 10:06 AM
Sue

chiam margalit wrote in message

What State/Province/Country do you live in?

US

What grade is your child(ren) currently in?

5th, 3rd and 1st

Is your child in public or private school? (Please NO homeschooling!)

Public school

Is your child in a gifted or Resource Room program?

DD1 is a resource room child (5th grade, has been since 3rd grade)

What math Texts does your child use?

Hardcourt Series

Has your child been introduced to the Stem and Leaf Plot at school?

Not to my knowledge.

During what grade?

I don't think I have seen anything come through that remotely resembles Stem
and Leaf Plot.

Have you as a parent ever heard of a stem and leaf plot?

No.

From where did you learn about this? At what age?

N/A

Can your child create his/her own stem and leaf plot?

N/A

Could you explain a stem and leaf plot without the text to a friend or
neighbor?

No.

Does your school use Connected Math?

Yes.

Thanks! Once I get results, I'll explain why I needed them. Right now
I can't taint the data.

Very interesting. I can't wait until we see the results.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 16th 03, 05:06 PM
Sue

Ack, sorry Marjorie, I am from Michigan.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 16th 03, 05:54 PM
H Schinske

Could you please answer the following questions IF you have a child
who has entered 4th grade.

Answered via email, hope that's okay.

--Helen
Old October 16th 03, 07:15 PM
Marijke

Default Question about upper elementary math

What State/Province/Country do you live in?

Quebec, Canada

What grade is your child(ren) currently in?

7, 9 and 11

Is your child in public or private school? (Please NO homeschooling!)

Public for grade 4, in private school from grade 7 on.

Is your child in a gifted or Resource Room program?

no

What math Texts does your child use?

It changes from year to year as the Quebec government keeps changing it's
requirements.

Has your child been introduced to the Stem and Leaf Plot at school?

no

During what grade?

n/a

Have you as a parent ever heard of a stem and leaf plot?

never heard of it. What is it?

From where did you learn about this? At what age?

n/a

Can your child create his/her own stem and leaf plot?

n/a

Could you explain a stem and leaf plot without the text to a friend or
neighbor?

n/a

Does your school use Connected Math?

never heard of it

Marijke, in Montreal

Old October 16th 03, 09:02 PM
Donna Metler

Stem and leaf plots are started in grade 4 here
(Everyday Math, AKA Chicago Math). They aren't assessed until 6th grade, and
based on the state test results, most of the kids don't have them yet even
then.

Old October 16th 03, 09:28 PM
Iuil

"chiam margalit" wrote
Could you please answer the following questions IF you have a child
who has entered 4th grade. It's OK for your child to be older, but I
only need information regarding 4th grade math for a client of mine.
I need responses from *every* US state as well as from overseas. I'm
looking for a wide dispersal of respondants, so if you have friends
with kids in this age group, please don't hesitate to forward this.
TIA!

I don't know if my answers will help you or not but I teach Maths so I
thought I'd answer anyway. Feel free to disregard my answers if you wish.

What State/Province/Country do you live in?

Republic of Ireland

What grade is your child(ren) currently in?

I teach Maths at Jr High and High School level (12-18 year olds).

Is your child in public or private school? (Please NO homeschooling!)

What math Texts does your child use?

We have a standard syllabus that all schools follow regardless of status.
All the textbooks cover the same material, though they might differ slightly
in approach.

Has your child been introduced to the Stem and Leaf Plot at school?

During what grade?

I've never heard of a Stem and Leaf Plot until I googled it. I have a
degree in Maths as well as my pedagogical training.

Have you as a parent ever heard of a stem and leaf plot?

From where did you learn about this? At what age?

math.about.com via Google. I was 32 last birthday :-).

Can your child create his/her own stem and leaf plot?

I would expect a 12-14 year old to able to do so. An able 10 year old
should have very little difficulty with it, I would be concerned if a 15
year old or older couldn't.

Could you explain a stem and leaf plot without the text to a friend or
neighbor?

I could now :-). Assuming I was allowed to create diagrams myself.

Does your school use Connected Math?

Never heard of it before now. But Google is my friend :-).

Jean

Old October 16th 03, 10:50 PM
Penny Gaines

chiam margalit wrote in :

Could you please answer the following questions IF you have a child
who has entered 4th grade. It's OK for your child to be older, but I
only need information regarding 4th grade math for a client of mine.
I need responses from every US state as well as from overseas. I'm
looking for a wide dispersal of respondants, so if you have friends
with kids in this age group, please don't hesitate to forward this.

[snip]

Grade 4 is 9 to 10 yos isn't it? If so, I'll check with the 9yo
tomorrow.

--

Penny Gaines
Old October 17th 03, 04:20 AM
Tai

chiam margalit wrote:
Could you please answer the following questions IF you have a child
who has entered 4th grade. It's OK for your child to be older, but I
only need information regarding 4th grade math for a client of mine.
I need responses from *every* US state as well as from overseas. I'm
looking for a wide dispersal of respondants, so if you have friends
with kids in this age group, please don't hesitate to forward this.
TIA!

What State/Province/Country do you live in?

Australia

What grade is your child(ren) currently in?

6 and 7

Is your child in public or private school? (Please NO homeschooling!)

public

Is your child in a gifted or Resource Room program?

Neither are gifted but both have been in maths extension programs for two
and three years and do well in competitions

What math Texts does your child use?

Grade 6 - no idea, many assorted sheets from the teacher's folders.
Grade 7 - Heinemann's "Outcomes emaths grade 7 CSF II edition"

Has your child been introduced to the Stem and Leaf Plot at school?

Neither have

During what grade?

Have you as a parent ever heard of a stem and leaf plot?

Yes

From where did you learn about this? At what age?

In the deepest mists of the past. I think it may have been after I left
university - I don't recall learning about it in Statistics 101 but I
wouldn't like to swear to that. I hadn't thought it about for years, either.

Can your child create his/her own stem and leaf plot?

I explained it to each of them last night as part of asking whether they
knew what they were. After ten minutes they could both do simple plots but
would need more teaching to break the stem down further when data frequency
is 'clumped'. And then there are scatter plots to mention, as well. They
both enjoyed even that brief exposure to the concept. (Thanks for that!)

Could you explain a stem and leaf plot without the text to a friend or
neighbor?

An overview, certainly, but, as I said, it's been a while! For example I
just remembered you have to decide what to do with outliers.

Does your school use Connected Math?

I don't know what that is.

Tai