"11.9"w update

Old February 17th 05, 11:22 PM
Emily

Default "11.9"w update

Hi folks,

Just got back from an u/s appointment -- part of the
"integrated scan" which is the current version of the
triple-screen/quad-screen etc. It involves and u/s
between 10 and 12.5 weeks, a blood draw on the same day,
and the usual quad screen around 15 weeks. Together, it's
a better screening for DS and NTDs (and whatever the other
two are, I guess) than just the quad screen alone.

When I last saw my OB, she suggested that I schedule an
u/s to have a good look at the placenta (to be reassured
that it looks fine, seemed to be the only reason). I
mentioned that I had this u/s scheduled, and she said I
should just ask them to look then. Well, that didn't work.
I described my history to the ultrasound tech and asked if
she could look at the placenta too. She said no -- that
I should come back for that (made it sound like at the
same time as the anatomy scan). I was a little disappointed,
but didn't push too hard, since the only reason my OB had
mentioned for it was "for reassurance". I did ask if
the fluid level looked normal, and she said yes.

Not a very empathetic u/s tech, though. At one point, I
said "I see fingers!" (which I clearly did, at the end of
the bit she was calling the arm, so I'm not crazy) and she
said something like "It's a little early to be seeing much
of anything interesting. When you come back at 16 or 18 weeks,
we'll look at the head and the heart. The big ticket items."
Sort of like she was half heartedly apologizing for it not
being a very "interesting" u/s, instead of relating to the
fact that I was enjoying seeing the baby.

Anyway, she went off to fill out the paperwork and then
came back to tell us that they got the measurements they
needed (no results from this until the 15w blood test results
are in too), and that the baby is measuring fine for dates --
11.9 weeks, where I'm 12w today by LMP. According to the
earlier scans my OB did, I should be 12w on Monday, with an
EDD of 9/5. This scan would have an EDD of 9/1, but I'm
hoping my OB sticks with 9/5 because a) I like being due on
Labor Day and b) that gives me 4 more days before any induction
pressure sets in...

Anyway, the good news is that the baby is clearly growing
(5.1cm), and wiggling around in there, and practicing being
head-down, and had a heartrate of 166. I've been pretty tired
the past couple of days. Looking forward to that 2nd trimester
energy kick.

Emily
--
DS 5/02
EDD Labor Day 9/5/05
Old February 17th 05, 11:27 PM
bookers

"Emily" wrote in message
[...]

------------------------

I had the same kind of experience with my scan at that stage, the guy was
a complete weirdo.
I was getting excited about seeing my baby and he said you will be able to
see more at your next scan cant see anything at this stage, but I could make
out heaps of things.

I made sure I didnt go through him for my next scan, I had a nice lady who
was pointing to all the different parts and saying things like oh theres a
foot and gosh your a good mover and really reassuring things.

Old February 18th 05, 03:18 PM
Sue

"Emily" wrote in message
Not a very empathetic u/s tech, though.

The problem with u/s techs (and I went through schooling to be one) is that
they are not supposed to tell you anything about the ultrasound. Some breech
their training and are very informative and some stick to the rules. The
ones that stick to the rules may be upsetting for the new parents, but in
essence they could loose their jobs if they give out any information that
could be wrong. I don't think it's fair to not request a certain tech
because they don't divulge information, but unless they are total screw ups
(which there are, no question) they *are* just doing their job. And
sometimes ultrasound techs forget just how much fun seeing a baby is on the
screen and are unimpressed unless something is out of the ordinary, they
usually don't get too excited about normal things on the screen.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 18th 05, 03:21 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:22:32 -0800, Emily wrote:

Not a very empathetic u/s tech, though.

Bummer! I hate when that happens. I'm so glad that I get my u/s in the
hospital from dedicated OB/GYN techs. It is so much more fun than going to
the u/s lab and have someone say "oh" and "ah" and nothing else...

At least everything looks good!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old February 18th 05, 04:07 PM
Emily

Sue wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message

Not a very empathetic u/s tech, though.

The problem with u/s techs (and I went through schooling to be one) is that
they are not supposed to tell you anything about the ultrasound. Some breech
their training and are very informative and some stick to the rules. The
ones that stick to the rules may be upsetting for the new parents, but in
essence they could loose their jobs if they give out any information that
could be wrong. I don't think it's fair to not request a certain tech
because they don't divulge information, but unless they are total screw ups
(which there are, no question) they *are* just doing their job. And
sometimes ultrasound techs forget just how much fun seeing a baby is on the
screen and are unimpressed unless something is out of the ordinary, they
usually don't get too excited about normal things on the screen.

Interesting point, Sue. I hadn't realized that about u/s tech
training. Still, I think it should fall under "bedside manner"
or whatever to keep connected with how parents feel about seeing
their babies.

I wasn't planning on making any particular requests about who to
have at the next u/s --- there's some info coming there (amniotic fluid
levels) that I know they measure that I'll want to know. If the
tech can't tell me, the radiologist surely will.

Emily
Old February 18th 05, 06:12 PM
Lucy

"Emily" wrote in message
Not a very empathetic u/s tech, though.

Sorry to hear that. I actually had the opposite experience with my nuchal
translucency ultrasound. Since it was done in the perinatology department,
they seemed to have much more time to spend with me.

With my first pregnancy, I just had one ultrasound at 20 weeks and it was
done in the radiology department. There they were very much wanting me in
and out because I guess they have a lot more scheduled and not so much time
to spend with each patient.

I'm with you though - it is very exciting to see the baby and at 12 weeks,
it does look like a baby. )

Lucy

Baby stopping breathing update and question UPDATE T68b Pregnancy 1 February 8th 05 10:25 AM
16 week update Jamie Clark Pregnancy 4 December 10th 04 12:03 AM
Update Jamie Clark Pregnancy 4 October 1st 04 06:37 AM
Update: Problems with 14yr old sister... Daniel Foster Parents 5 March 25th 04 02:44 PM
Use critical update Alex Nemeth Single Parents 0 October 2nd 03 03:42 AM