A success story...thank you all!

Old December 13th 03, 04:33 PM
Kathy

Default A success story...thank you all!

In light of the recent posts concerning someone giving up BF'ing, I
thought it would be a good time to let you all know that thanks to you I
have been exclusively BF'ing my daughter for almost 13 weeks. I believe
that for every person that comes here and eventually quits, many many
more get the support they need and go on to be a success at BF'ing.

I am not pulling your collective legs when I say that without this board
and all of the help I've received here, I never would've made it. That
and the neverending support of my DH made all the difference. Even
though for the time being I stay at home, DH still worked all day and
then came home and did dishes, cooked, cleaned, changed diapers and
basically did anything that would make my life easier. To him this
isn't a hardship or a duty...he would have it no other way. Now at 3+
months I am able to do more...keep the house, put dinner on the table
most nights, etc...and he still comes home and is ready to do anything
and everything to help. I'm lucky to have him.
No one in either my or my DH's family has ever BF'ed as far back as we
can remember. Luckily our immediate family on both sides have been
supportive enough...none have ever really said anything negative or
encouraged me to quit...though I do think that some would've liked to
see me quit, and some thought I was crazy for "putting myself through
this" when I could've just "gone the easy way" and given formula. I'm
not sure that any of them really see at this point that breastmilk is
better than formula...but actually I don't care, because I know it is.

The beginning was tough...actually I'd say the first full 2 months were
hell. I wasn't sure of what I was doing...books and doctors gave me
conflicting advice...family and friends didn't understand. But we stuck
it out. I came here as often as I could and read and posted
questions...I got so much help and support here and I am truly thankful
to each and every person who took the time to answer me.

Just really wanted to thank everyone and let you know that thanks to you
all my daughter has gotten the best start I could give her. I'm looking
forward to keeping at it over the next months, and I'm really looking
forward to running across a friend or family member who is considering
BF'ing...I can be the ONE person they know who has done it and hopefully
through my experience and support we can make it two, then three and so
on...

Thanks all,
Kathy

Old December 13th 03, 07:54 PM
Leslie

This is so nice to hear! :-)

Leslie
Old December 15th 03, 02:14 AM
Cathy

Kathy wrote:
In light of the recent posts concerning someone giving up BF'ing, I
thought it would be a good time to let you all know that thanks to
you I have been exclusively BF'ing my daughter for almost 13 weeks.
I believe that for every person that comes here and eventually quits,
many many more get the support they need and go on to be a success at
BF'ing.

Good on you! And yep, I am in the same category - had probs early on, and
ongoing. Actually considered quitting at 7 months, but we're still going
strong at 11 months 1 week, thanks in a large part to this newsgroup.

Cathy