reimbursing welfare

Old May 21st 04, 01:07 AM
Werebat

Default reimbursing welfare

Bob Whiteside wrote:

"ada & maude" wrote in message
om..
If a court has required a father to pay child support and the mother
(never married to the child's father) goes on welfare - does the
father have to pay the state back for welfare benefits?

The father's CS payments go to the state to offset the amount of welfare
benefits paid by the state. The father does not have to pay 100% of the
welfare benefits, just the CS order amount.

However CSE *will* tirelessly hound the father by pulling him into court
over and over again in an effort to raise the CS obligation to the
maximum penalty allowed by law.

If the father's CS order
exceeds the amount of welfare benefits paid by the state, the excess is
passed through to the mother.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

In my state they just keep the excess.

- Ron ^*^
Old May 23rd 04, 01:19 PM
Werebat

Bob Whiteside wrote:

"Werebat" wrote in message ..
Bob Whiteside wrote:

"ada & maude" wrote in message
om.
If a court has required a father to pay child support and the mother
(never married to the child's father) goes on welfare - does the
father have to pay the state back for welfare benefits?

The father's CS payments go to the state to offset the amount of welfare
benefits paid by the state. The father does not have to pay 100% of the
welfare benefits, just the CS order amount.

However CSE *will* tirelessly hound the father by pulling him into court
over and over again in an effort to raise the CS obligation to the
maximum penalty allowed by law.

Yep. Every 2-3 years based on the timeframe established for revisiting CS
orders to ensure compliance with CS guidelines.

If the father's CS order
exceeds the amount of welfare benefits paid by the state, the excess is
passed through to the mother.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

In my state they just keep the excess.

That would be a violation of federal law in 42 U.S.C. Chapter 657 (a)(1)(B)
except as noted below.

CSE's lawyer told us they would keep the excess, so it would make the
most sense for her to just get off welfare.

No, we didn't tape him saying this, and no, we didn't get him to sign to
it in front of a notary public. They're slippery little eels, aren't
they? I'd guess morays, except that I don't want to insult the morays.

Your comment suggests you started with an arrearage owed to the state for
public benefits, or the state was assigned an existing arrearage when your
ex went on public assistance.

Hm. By the time this went to court, my ex had been committing welfare
fraud for exactly one year.

Then again when I brought this fact up to my case worker he told me not
to worry about it, that they weren't concerned with the money (!)

I got copies of all the cancelled checks I sent her for that year and
sent them along to the welfare fraud unit... Got notification that they
had been received... and not a word since. My ex insists they have not
contacted her about it either.

The pecking order for public assistance reimbursement is Federal government
first for their 62% share of benefits furnished, state government second
for their 38% share of benefits furnished, and the family third with any
excess. The caveat is when an arrearage for public benefits exists, the CS
paid in excess of current benefits is kept and distributed based on the
62/38% splits until the previously paid benefits are reimbursed.

Now that's interesting.

- Ron ^*^