sore breast, what is it?

Old December 14th 03, 03:23 AM
K.B.

Default sore breast, what is it?

My 7 month old only eats from one side. Tonight I started getting this pain
in my breast. Not the nipple area. There seems to be a lump and it is so
tender. It sort of feels like when it's engorged but I'm not engorged. What
is this and what should I do. Since this is the only breast he will eat from
I have to keep it in tip top shape. It hurts to just hold the baby on that
side.
Kris

Old December 14th 03, 03:58 AM
badgirl

"K.B." wrote in message
hlink.net...
My 7 month old only eats from one side. Tonight I started getting this

pain
in my breast. Not the nipple area. There seems to be a lump and it is so
tender. It sort of feels like when it's engorged but I'm not engorged.

What
is this and what should I do. Since this is the only breast he will eat

from
I have to keep it in tip top shape. It hurts to just hold the baby on that
side.
Kris

Sounds like a plugged duct. Hot showers, warm compression/massage toward the
nipple from behind the lump, drink lots of fluids and NURSE from that side.
I can't remember which part of the baby's mouth needs to *point* toward the
lump I think the nose but it could be the chin (I'm so much help LOL someone
chime in here please) Anyway, as long as you keep at it, it SHOULD resolve
itself in a day or two, you'll notice the tenderness seem to dissappear
almost immediately as soon as it passes.
Anyone else want to add anything? Please?

Jen

Old December 14th 03, 04:04 AM
Dawn Lawson

badgirl wrote:

"K.B." wrote in message
hlink.net...

My 7 month old only eats from one side. Tonight I started getting this

pain

in my breast. Not the nipple area. There seems to be a lump and it is so
tender. It sort of feels like when it's engorged but I'm not engorged.

What

is this and what should I do. Since this is the only breast he will eat

from

I have to keep it in tip top shape. It hurts to just hold the baby on that
side.
Kris

Sounds like a plugged duct. Hot showers, warm compression/massage toward the
nipple from behind the lump, drink lots of fluids and NURSE from that side.
I can't remember which part of the baby's mouth needs to *point* toward the
lump I think the nose but it could be the chin

Chin. Can make for interesting nursing positions.

Old December 14th 03, 05:20 AM
Irrational Number

K.B. wrote:
My 7 month old only eats from one side. Tonight I started getting this pain
in my breast. Not the nipple area. There seems to be a lump and it is so
tender. It sort of feels like when it's engorged but I'm not engorged. What
is this and what should I do.

From the tender spot on down to the nipple, do you
see the corresponding "hole" being clogged up? Are
there any white spots on your nipple? If so, you
need to do anything you can do to unclog it... I
pumped extra, expressed in a HOT shower (I like
my showers lukewarm and I almost passed out from
staying in there so long, trying to get the plug
out!), nursed extra (that's hard if he's not hungry),
tried to pull out the plug with my nails (not
advised!)...

Good luck!

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old December 14th 03, 01:51 PM
K.B.

The only thing I see on my nipple is a little calloused looking spot. I'm in
more pain today than yesterday. I woke up alot last night because it hurt. I
can't have anything against that side. What kind of Dr. do you call about
this. Family Dr. or Gyno?
Kris
"Irrational Number" wrote in message
K.B. wrote:
My 7 month old only eats from one side. Tonight I started getting this

pain
in my breast. Not the nipple area. There seems to be a lump and it is so
tender. It sort of feels like when it's engorged but I'm not engorged.

What
is this and what should I do.

From the tender spot on down to the nipple, do you

Old December 14th 03, 03:24 PM
badgirl

"K.B." wrote in message
ink.net...
The only thing I see on my nipple is a little calloused looking spot. I'm

in
more pain today than yesterday. I woke up alot last night because it hurt.

can't have anything against that side. What kind of Dr. do you call about
this. Family Dr. or Gyno?
Kris

Neither, call an LC. A doctor won't know what to do with it and will likely
tell you to stop nursing on that side which can be dangerous advice. Call
the LC becasuse if you DO need medical treatment for it she can advise the
doctor as to what he can do for you. CALL TODAY, as in NOW before it gets
infected and you end up with mastitis. And for Goddess sake do NOT go to the
emergency room unless the LC suggests it and can speak to the doctors there.
I'm saying that wrong,
Get medical treatment, but see the LC first so she can advise the doctors as
to what to do about it.

Jen