red food colouring

Old August 14th 03, 12:32 PM
Chookie

Default red food colouring

In article ,
"elizabeth emerald" wrote:

does anyone know anything about this? is cochineal indeed natural?

Natural as squashed bugs!

are all food colours bad? should i just pick another colour?

You could ice the cake white and decorate it with red jelly babies, red snakes
or red jellybeans to cut down on the amount of colouring everyone eats. Hmm,
maybe snakes or red jubes would be less of a choking hazard than the others.

Another thought: a red frill around the cake, like the kind people put around
Christmas cakes. That way nobody has to eat it.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old August 14th 03, 01:26 PM
llama mama

"iphigenia" wrote in
:

elizabeth emerald wrote:
. i have heard bad things about red food colouring. and i have
also heard that there is no problem with food colouring.

Allergies aside, I've heard (but have not looked for evidence to back
it up) that red dyes can exacerbate hyperactivity, particularly in
boys.

That said, Gabe had an Elmo cake for his 2nd birthday. Usually I avoid
dyed foods (like the colored goldfish) but Ilet him have a small piece
of cake for a treat.

the colored goldfish aren't dyed though... that is, they aren't colored
with foodcoloring, which is why they have limited colors. they use
cochineal, beet & annatto. arguably they could be allergens, but so can
almost anything.

lee
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital
Old August 14th 03, 03:13 PM
iphigenia

llama mama wrote:

the colored goldfish aren't dyed though... that is, they aren't
colored with foodcoloring, which is why they have limited colors.

They aren't? Oh, that's good to know. Thanks! I hadn't read any labels, I
just looked at them and thought they'd be artificially dyed.

(This, of course, from the woman who lives on raspberry ice Crystal
Light...but I could use a little hyperactivity *yawn*)

they use cochineal, beet & annatto. arguably they could be
allergens, but so can almost anything.

At this point I'm not too worried about allergies - DS is 25 months, so the
only thing he can't have yet is peanuts. He hasn't had a reaction to
ANYTHING yet - yay!

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old August 14th 03, 03:57 PM
Joni Rathbun

elizabeth emerald wrote in message
that's exactly what i don't want to happen. DS is a super-active boy. i
don't need any sugar or food colouring to help!

I thought the myth of sugar causing hyperactivity had been
disspelled.

Old August 14th 03, 04:14 PM
llama mama

"iphigenia" wrote in
:

llama mama wrote:

the colored goldfish aren't dyed though... that is, they aren't
colored with foodcoloring, which is why they have limited colors.

They aren't? Oh, that's good to know. Thanks! I hadn't read any
labels, I just looked at them and thought they'd be artificially dyed.

i guess Pepperidge Farm realizes that Goldfish are a toddler snack. when
they first came out they had a blurb on the package about using natural
colors only, but i don't know if that's still there. Boo goes through
phases where he won't eat the purple or red ones (i have to write all his
sensory issues down before the next eval!)

(This, of course, from the woman who lives on raspberry ice Crystal
Light...but I could use a little hyperactivity *yawn*)

i can't deal with artificial sweeteners, so i haven't looked at Crystal
light... i just assumed it was since it's so low cal.

they use cochineal, beet & annatto. arguably they could be
allergens, but so can almost anything.

At this point I'm not too worried about allergies - DS is 25 months,
so the only thing he can't have yet is peanuts. He hasn't had a
reaction to ANYTHING yet - yay!

Boo got into peanut sauce when he was just over a year old... no
problems, although i would rather have waited. he did get a red rashy
kind of thing on his face after eating cashews, so i keep those & mangoes
away from him for now. i'll reintroduce them when he's 4 maybe (he just
turned 3). he's prone to rashes. disposable diapers (need bigger AIOs
again), polyester in clothes, some clothes tags, laundry detergent,
bubble bath, heat... he's spotty a lot.
lee
Old August 14th 03, 05:42 PM
Sue

elizabeth emerald wrote in message
that's exactly what i don't want to happen. DS is a super-active boy. i
don't need any sugar or food colouring to help!

Then you probably don't want to give him any cake either. However, not all
children are effected by food coloring.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old August 14th 03, 07:33 PM
HollyLewis

I thought the myth of sugar causing hyperactivity had been
disspelled.

It's been disproven, but not disspelled -- lots of people continue to believe
it. :-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs