Children's preferences

Old August 14th 06, 12:01 PM posted to alt.child-support
TNK

Default Children's preferences

I have a case in California where I am seeking custody of my three children
ages 15 (female), 13 (male) and 11 (female). Went through the process of
having an attorney/mediator assigned in court, both parents agreeing on the
person to be assigned. The children went through the interview process in
June 2006. Then spent the summer with me from the last week of June 2006
through the first week in August 2006. Another interview of the children
took place in the first week of August 2006. The court date for review was
August 10 2006. The guardian ad litem wrote a report and basically stated
all three children are mature enough and have a strong desire to live with
me (father). The mother did agree the oldest could make the change, but did
not agree with the other two. The mother did not file a response, as
pointed out by the judge on August 10. The judge also stated he could just
default the matter. The judge asked the mother if she would be open to a
temporary change, for six months or so, and the mother said no. The mother
did not have an attorney. The judge stated persons representing themselves
are held accountable just as much as those represented by attorney. The
judge did find both parents to be fit, at least there is not an attempt to
discredit one parent or the other, and could not make a ruling based on the
children's preferences alone. The judge will allow more time for the mother
to attain an attorney and the matter will be continued and status checked on
August 30 2006.

The mother lives in California, and I live in Pennsylvania. I have been in
Pennsylvania for about ten years, and have regularly visited the children
for the weeks of their birthdays, and have had them for the last three
summers. I am in constant contact with the children by phone, email,
teleconferencing, etc., at a minimum of every other day. The summer visits
came about after long negotiations with the mother. The mother keeps
claiming it is her kindness and desire for the kids to have time with their
father the she allows the summer visits.

Both parents are in another relationship, mother is officially engaged to be
married, without a date set. Part of the children's preference is the
significant other involved. They all really like and get along very well
with mine, and do not like her's at all.

There's more, but I'll wait for the bombardment of comments and questions...

TNK

Old August 14th 06, 02:28 PM posted to alt.child-support
Tiffany

"TNK" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Are you just venting your story or do you have questions about child
support?

Old August 15th 06, 12:51 AM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

TNK wrote:
[...]

Why do you live so far from your kids?

Old August 15th 06, 01:24 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

wrote in message
ps.com...

TNK wrote:
[...]

That's an interesting question and TNK can answer for himself.

What I found was as a father I was confronted with two choices: 1.) Putting
my career on hold to be available as a parent to my children, or 2.) Go
with career advancement moves that could take me anywhere away from the
children.

I chose #1 and have never regretted it. Some fathers select #2. Each case
if different but the decisions fathers make boil down to a choice between
one of those two.

Of course, some fathers have to deal with the mother moving the children
away from them. I am just responding from the father's moving perspective.

Old August 15th 06, 02:15 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...

TNK wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention one important factor. By deciding to place my career on
hold I ended up 2 CS modifications being based on imputed incomes. A
company I worked for filed bankruptcy and closed. By staying in the same
area as my children I could not replicate my prior earnings. If I had moved
away I could have found a job at the level or just below I had been at. It
took me nearly 6 years to get my earnings back up to stop the imputed income
game. Fathers who cannot afford the extra CS obligation created by imputed
incomes are forced to move away from their children to keep their earnings
at the expected levels since the courts don't recognize parenting as being
more important than money.

Old August 15th 06, 04:46 AM posted to alt.child-support
Chris

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...

TNK wrote:
[...]

1 Timothy 6:10 describes these folks to a tee!