"Up in the laundry"

Old June 10th 04, 06:23 PM
Tori M.

Default "Up in the laundry"

I guess it depends on your situation and priorities. 80% of our
clothing is dried on the washing line rather than in the dryer (it
smells nicer, gets fewer creases, and saves money).

It is kinda funny but I have never liked the smell of lined dried clothing.
I much prefer the smell of drier sheets to the air smell of outside. Maybe
I am just weird.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 10th 04, 07:32 PM
Elitsirk

(Leslie) wrote in message ...
Funny you should post this because I was just saying yesterday that I wish we
could have a laundry room upstairs.

In our last home, it was down in the cold, wet, unfinished basement. In this
house it is right off the kitchen, which is wonderful for being able to do
laundry and other things at the same time, but all the bedrooms and all the
dirty clothes are upstairs, so that can be a pain.

Really, though, after four years in college and then seven years in apartments,
even after eight years it's a thrill to me to have a laundry room at all!

Leslie

We have a laundry room off the kitchen. When we built our house 3
years ago, we had choices of floor plans that had laundry rooms
upstairs with the bedrooms. I am SOOOO glad we didn't get one of
those.

The first time we turned on our (brand new) washer, it poured water
*everywhere*--luckily the laundry room has a vinyl floor and happens
to be located directly over the sump pump in the unfinished section of
the basement. Had it been upstairs, our newly-built house would have
needed ceilings replaced for water damage. Once Maytag got us a washer
that actually held water, we found that our chosen model sounds a bit
like a rocket launch when it hits the spin cycle (it's a front loader,
and the "max extract" extra spin cycle really gets the thing
going)--From our upstairs bedroom we can hear the thing running. I
would really hate to have it on the other side of the wall from our
bedroom or a kid's bedroom.

The only thing I wish our laundry room had was a sink. It's just not
big enough unless we wanted to switch to a stackable washer and dryer
(the whole room's like 6ftx6ft).

--Elit.
#1 due 9/20/2004
Old June 10th 04, 10:10 PM
Jodi

"Circe" wrote in message
Cathy Weeks wrote:
Unadulterated Me wrote in message

We do too, but our laundry is on the middle story which although
isn't ground level it's built along side a small hill(you don't have
basements in NZ houses)

I hate to show my ignorance, but why not?

We don't tend to have them in houses in Southern California, either. And,
like Andrea, I have no idea why not! We just don't!

Because there are no tornadoes in SoCal, but there are earthquakes??

I'm not sure about NZ.

Old June 10th 04, 10:48 PM
Jacqui

PattyMomVA wibbled
Jacqui wrote:

I guess it depends on your situation and priorities. 80% of our
clothing is dried on the washing line rather than in the dryer
(it smells nicer, gets fewer creases, and saves money). Taking a
load of wet washing down a flight of stairs doesn't appeal to me.

Must be nice to have sun-dried, breeze-dried clothing and bedding.
I might use a clothesline if they weren't prohibited here
(community association rules).

That is a shame. That's the thing, all situations are different. I know
that laundry upstairs would make no sense for us, and the underlying
thing for me is also that I damaged my back in a fall downstairs. The
chance of doing that with a load of heavy wet laundry just seems too
high for comfort...

Jac
Old June 10th 04, 11:46 PM
Sophie

Cathy Weeks wrote:
Unadulterated Me wrote in message

We do too, but our laundry is on the middle story which although
isn't ground level it's built along side a small hill(you don't have
basements in NZ houses)

I hate to show my ignorance, but why not?

We don't tend to have them in houses in Southern California, either. And,
like Andrea, I have no idea why not! We just don't!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Or in NC - flooding from hurricanes.

Old June 10th 04, 11:49 PM
Sophie

"Tori M." wrote in message
I guess it depends on your situation and priorities. 80% of our
clothing is dried on the washing line rather than in the dryer (it
smells nicer, gets fewer creases, and saves money).

It is kinda funny but I have never liked the smell of lined dried

clothing.
I much prefer the smell of drier sheets to the air smell of outside.

Maybe
I am just weird.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Clothes dried on a line are crunchy. Give me a dryer anyday.

We have a sort of laundry room. We have a 3 bedroom, ranch base housing
house. In the hallway we have a little nook I guess where the washer and
dryer go, it has shelves and doors that slide across.

I did have one friend (with a MUCH higher ranking husband) who had a 2 story
house with her washer and dryer upstairs. After they got all moved in, she
liked having it all upstairs which is where you put the clothes anyway.
Moving was a pain though.

Old June 11th 04, 04:21 AM
KellieGaines

Cathy Weeks wrote:
Unadulterated Me wrote in message

We do too, but our laundry is on the middle story which although
isn't ground level it's built along side a small hill(you don't have
basements in NZ houses)

I hate to show my ignorance, but why not?

We don't tend to have them in houses in Southern California, either. And,
like Andrea, I have no idea why not! We just don't!

Earthquakes, of course! Well, and the lack of tornados as well, I
suppose.

Like Jamie, in our 2.5 year old house we have a laundry room on the
second floor (where most of the bedrooms and bathrooms are). It's
lovely - just enough room for a W&D, with cabinets above and a huge
linen cabinet on the other side. It was a key feature that we looked
for in a new home (though it wouldn't have detracted us from buying it
anyway because we still love the floorplan).

I like how I can easily throw a load in or fold clothes in the
loft/library or our bedroom at any time, and do not have to lug things
up or down the stairs. The only things that I have to bring up or
send down the stairs are kitchen towels, any towels for the guest
bathroom and when I change the sheets in the guest bedroom (ie, maybe
one load per week or so). The washer is set in a pan, and the entire
room has an additional pan built into the actual frame of the house.
If the washer should flood, those two things should help and if they
don't, well, that's what we have homeowner's insurance for.

kellie (also in SoCal)
EDD #3 in 2 weeks
Old June 11th 04, 05:22 AM
Nikki

Cathy Weeks wrote:
Unadulterated Me wrote in message

We do too, but our laundry is on the middle story which although
isn't ground level it's built along side a small hill(you don't
have basements in NZ houses)

I hate to show my ignorance, but why not?

We don't tend to have them in houses in Southern California, either.
And, like Andrea, I have no idea why not! We just don't!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son
(Julian, 6)

Or in NC - flooding from hurricanes.

I get to go to NC next week :-) I was surprised at no basements there.
Most houses have them in SD. They will get water in them if they don't have
a pump but it isn't a huge deal. I think your ground is softer too, or I
was told that anyway. Radon can be a problem here.

Another odd thing - even modest houses have garages in SD. Not everyone has
them, but most do. Garages seemed to be sort of a rarity in Greensboro,
even the upscale neighborhood.

For the record - my laundry is in the basement of my 2 story house - lots of
stairs. I can't complain because the basement is finished and last year I
was going through a filthy porch to a filthy unfinished basement with
laundry - ick. When I was there, I was just glad I had one though as I was
sick of going to the laundry mat. This house is the first time I've ever
had a garage too, an unattached one. Moving up in the world, lol. Main
floor laundry and attached garage in my next house I guess!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old June 11th 04, 06:17 AM

Cathy Weeks wrote:
Unadulterated Me wrote in message

We do too, but our laundry is on the middle story which although
isn't ground level it's built along side a small hill(you don't have
basements in NZ houses)

I hate to show my ignorance, but why not?

We don't tend to have them in houses in Southern California, either. And,
like Andrea, I have no idea why not! We just don't!

Probably too much caliche in the soil; that's why we don't have them
in Phoenix. It's really expensive to dig holes in that stuff!

--
C, mama to nineteen month old nursling

Laundry tips needed! Jill Pregnancy 11 May 19th 04 08:26 PM
Lazy husband? Sandra General 21 December 22nd 03 08:51 PM
No socks or shoes in the Winter problem P. Tierney General 97 October 24th 03 05:07 PM
Acne meds and laundry woes Iowacookiemom General (moderated) 5 August 7th 03 03:26 AM
Allergic to Laundry Detergents? H Schinske General 0 July 14th 03 07:49 PM