Kids and Nutrition

Old October 11th 05, 10:29 PM
Kevin Karplus

Default Kids and Nutrition

On 2005-10-11,
wrote:
we'll bring experts to your house and show them how to live a healthy
lifestyle.

I love this sentence! But would the experts really learn anything at
my house?

Kevin Karplus
http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE) (Board of Directors, ISCB)
Affiliations for identification only.

Old October 12th 05, 10:33 PM
Louise

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:53:53 EDT, "Dawn"
wrote:

They could watch me make the excellent case that beer is a food group
and chocolate is an essential nutrient with an RDA and everything ;-)

I just found out that popcorn might count as a whole grain. This
seems too good to be true!

Louise

Old October 13th 05, 11:02 AM
Cindy Kandolf

Louise writes:
I just found out that popcorn might count as a whole grain. This
seems too good to be true!

Funny you should mention that. The last jar of popcorn I bought has a
large graphic on the front of the label: "100% WHOLE GRAIN!"

It was a teachable moment for the 11-year-old. "Sometimes what you
see on a label is absolutely true and at the same time absolutely
meaningless. This is one of those times."

- Cindy Kandolf, mamma to Kenneth (11) and Robert (4)
****** Bærum, Norway
Bilingual Families Web Page:
http://www.nethelp.no/cindy/biling-fam.html

Old October 13th 05, 01:30 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Cindy Kandolf wrote:

Louise writes:
I just found out that popcorn might count as a whole grain. This
seems too good to be true!

Funny you should mention that. The last jar of popcorn I bought has a
large graphic on the front of the label: "100% WHOLE GRAIN!"

It was a teachable moment for the 11-year-old. "Sometimes what you
see on a label is absolutely true and at the same time absolutely
meaningless. This is one of those times."

Why is that meaningless? As a whole grain, popcorn is a decent source
of fiber. Nutritionally, it isn't bad. And if you don't add fats, it's
a pretty low calorie snack.

Old October 13th 05, 05:26 PM
Claire Petersky

"Dawn" wrote in message
oups.com...

How about the rest of you, what parts of your healthy lifestyle would
you like to show off to the experts?

LOL. They could watch an 10 year old boy (13 now) decide to become a
vegetarian and thereby teach his parents how to live a healthier
lifestyle.

Rose went vegetarian shortly after Henry, it appears. What the kids have
harped on parents about is in general choosing products that are sustainably
farmed and as nice to animals as possible. It's easy for them to agitate, as
they don't pay the food bill. Nonetheless, if I go to Trader Joe's, I can
get relatively inexpensive free-range meats and eggs, non-hormonally-treated
cows' milk, and organic products.

Another thought is having a vegetable garden. Rose really helped this year
in putting it to bed last weekend. The only thing left is a fall crop of
chard. I can't believe how expensive greens are at the store. They are
always telling us, "get more dark leafy vegetables into your diet", but how
much does it cost to buy collard greens or chard! At the same time, they are
very easy to grow, and at least here, I can have them in the garden
year-round.

For us, it's not just bicycle commuting, but a general emphasis on getting
around Not-By-Car. I try to have a feet first attitude about getting around.
By feet first, I mean the first choice is to walk. Second is bicycle, third
is bus, and finally, if all else fails, you get driven. One of the
advantages of feet first is that you have greater independence. Yes, mom can
take you up to the theatre in the station wagon for rehearsals in 5 minutes,
but if you walk (which takes 20-30), you don't have to be dependent on mom.

Stuff we're less good at: taking vitamins regularly. Eating a low-fat
diet -- Emma loves butter and cream, and I guess I'm right there with her on
that one!

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old October 14th 05, 12:59 AM
Nick Theodorakis

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:02:13 EDT, Cindy Kandolf
wrote:

Didn't I just see you over there --- in RACS?

Louise writes:
I just found out that popcorn might count as a whole grain. This
seems too good to be true!

Funny you should mention that. The last jar of popcorn I bought has a
large graphic on the front of the label: "100% WHOLE GRAIN!"

I'm not sure why that's a surprise.

It was a teachable moment for the 11-year-old. "Sometimes what you
see on a label is absolutely true and at the same time absolutely
meaningless. This is one of those times."

Actually, air-popped popcorn can be a pretty healthy choice for a
snack, as long as you don't put anything on it that makes it taste
good ;-)

http://www.nutritionresource.com/data.cfm?n=19034
http://www.purityfoods.com/nutrition/popcorn.html

Maybe a better example would have been a label on some sugar-heavy
junk food that said "fat-free."

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis