Iron tablets

Old May 1st 07, 12:58 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

Default Iron tablets

Got told yesterday that I needed more iron. Not a total surprise as I got
majorly low with #1-my dr. sister commented that she'd given blood
transfusions to people with better levels than I tested at. I assume that
I'm not that low as I was okay 5 weeks ago, but I can recognise a few
symptoms that I had with #1 as being low.
Basically though I've had a headache and struggling to eat since mid
afternoon yesterday after taking the tablet in the morning. The headache
isn't shifting with paracetamol, but isn't getting worse, and the only thing
I've managed to eat without throwing up is chocolate :-) but I'm drinking
fine.
Both of these are things I get during pregnancy, so it may be just a fluke,
but I was wondering whether anyone else has had these as side effects of
iron before I ask the dr.
Debbie
Ps. Don't suggest I stop taking the iron and try and control it with diet as
it doesn't work with me.

Old May 1st 07, 04:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Irrational Number

Welches wrote:
Basically though I've had a headache and struggling to eat since mid
afternoon yesterday after taking the tablet in the morning.

Probably a coincidence.

Both of these are things I get during pregnancy, so it may be just a fluke,
but I was wondering whether anyone else has had these as side effects of
iron before I ask the dr.

I also had very low levels. What I learned was:
do not eat any dairy one hour before and one hour
after taking the iron tablet. Calcium blocks
absorption of iron. Instead, take iron with a
bunch of vitamin C (e.g., with orange juice).

-- Anita --
Old May 1st 07, 05:05 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

When I had to take iron supplements I got the ones with folic acid in
them. I tolerated those a lot better than the regular iron "bombs" that
would leave me shivering in bed with a bucket and a deathwish.
I second the "loads of vitamin C". Even if it's just some kind of
placebo thing going on, I feel like the iron gets absorbed more quickly.

cu
nicole
Old May 1st 07, 05:19 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

NL wrote:

When I had to take iron supplements I got the ones with folic acid in
them. I tolerated those a lot better than the regular iron "bombs" that
would leave me shivering in bed with a bucket and a deathwish.
I second the "loads of vitamin C". Even if it's just some kind of
placebo thing going on, I feel like the iron gets absorbed more quickly.

There are many different formulations of iron out
there, and some people do much better on some than on others.
If you think you're having side effects from the iron, try
a different form of iron and see if it helps.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 1st 07, 06:12 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_2_]

There is a liquid supplement you can get in the UK, it's called floradix, my
midwife recommended it and felt it was better than the straight forward iron
supplements which tend to have a lot of side effects and also don't have as
much affect on the iron levels as you'd hope.

I have vague recollections that low iron in pregnancy is normal and that
even though the thresholds are lowered, that some people feel even these are
too high and the levels at which you should be concerned are lower still,
but just right now, I've not been able to find anything other than a
mainstream view on the subject.

Finally, found something http://www.radmid.demon.co.uk/anaemia.htm

Things I picked out where some studies point to 9.5-10.5 being optimum for a
women close to birth, but that this would be below the usual threshold,
which I think is 10.5 in pregnancy. Also that mean cell volume is more
important, it seems hemoglobin level is a flag, not a diagnostic of anemia,
one midwife was saying she wouldn't even check this until the levels were
below 8.

You don't actually say what your levels are, personally, if it was above
9.5, I think I'd forget about it, not take the iron tablets, maybe get hold
of the fluorodix, plus check diet, below 9.5, I think I'd go and ask about
other tests, whilst continuing to take the iron tablets, following Anita's
instructions about what to take them with and what not to take them with and
reevaluate once I had results for MCV and also packed cell volume.

Cheers

Anne

Old May 1st 07, 06:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know what my levels are this time. I was 11.5 6 weeks ago, but I
must have fallen from that as my dr. doesn't do anything until below 10.
He's pretty low on intervention. I know last time I got to 6.8 which was
revolting and I really don't want to risk getting that low again. I was
exhausted from just getting out of bed!
I think the calcium is probably the problem. I've been craving various
fluids, mostly cola and milk and I can easily drink 2+ pints of milk a day
so I think I'll try and cut back on that. I can't manage oranges/orange
juice/most other citrus except tinned grapefruit without bringing it back,
and although I can keep down apple juice usually, I feel ill for a good
length of time afterwards.
I think I am anaemic. My skin is pale yellow (I've usually reasonable
colour) and I have a lot of the signs of anaemia, so actually it's a bit of
a relief to have the tablets. Last time it took about 3 days to pick up how
I felt once I'd got the tablets, so I'll certainly give it that long.
I've just managed to eat the first reasonable meal since I started the iron
so I'll see if I'm feeling better tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice:
Debbie

Old May 1st 07, 06:50 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_2_]

I don't know what my levels are this time. I was 11.5 6 weeks ago, but I
must have fallen from that as my dr. doesn't do anything until below 10.

I think you should find out what they are, 11.5 to below 10 would be a big
drop over a short space of time and to me, a fast drop would be a reason to
test other things as well, even if the absolute value is still reasonably
ok.

Anne

5 W tablets chonni Pregnancy 0 April 5th 05 05:03 AM
iron tablets Anne Rogers Pregnancy 4 January 28th 05 08:21 AM
sleeping tablets when pregnant Donna Metler Pregnancy 6 October 21st 04 07:53 PM
Kid Eats 25 MPH Tablets M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 21, 2004 Kids Health 0 May 21st 04 06:03 PM
Iron? Irish Marie Pregnancy 19 July 17th 03 10:15 PM