a bit OT - child trailers

Old January 9th 04, 08:57 PM
HollyLewis

Default a bit OT - child trailers

Andrea's not, but I am, we're thinking about getting a bike seat, I don't
think I trailer would suit our needs.

-----------
Anne Rogers

Well, I don't know why that is, of course, but I encourage you to think long
and hard about it. The bike seats are not *nearly* as safe as the trailers.

Holly
Mom to Camden, almost 3
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old January 9th 04, 09:06 PM
Anne Rogers

Andrea's not, but I am, we're thinking about getting a bike seat, I don't
think I trailer would suit our needs.

Well, I don't know why that is, of course, but I encourage you to think long
and hard about it. The bike seats are not *nearly* as safe as the trailers.

to be frank I wouldn't use it, it's easier to pop ds in the car, than use
a trailer from what I've seen, in my average week, there is only 1 or 2
times I would use a bike with a seat, and the route I would go is almost
entirely off road. I'm quite an experienced cyclist. We are still
considering the options..

Old January 9th 04, 10:43 PM
Andrea

"zeldabee" wrote in message
Bruce and Jeanne was all, like:
nospam wrote:

I am buying a couple of child trailers to fit on mine and dh's
bikes, do you have any experiences with them?

DH and I bought the Burley D'Lite (here in the US) when I was pregnant
with DD. This is similar to the Kiddy Van 101 at
www.twoplustwo.uk.com. When DD was very young, we put her in a baby
carrier and strapped her into the trailer backwards, like you would
in a car.

How do you mean, carrier? Was it just a regular car seat? I've been trying
to find info about doing this, but trailer manufacturers all seem to say
that you have to wait until the child can hold up his/her head while

wearing
a helmet (~1 year). I'd really like to know exactly how you did this...I
don't necessarily think the kid has to have a helmet when riding in a
trailer, especially if he's in a car seat.

I used to do bike touring, back before Sprogly, and I dream of being able

do it again, with baby in tow. I'd like to try it this summer, but Sprogly
won't be a year old until September. I'd love to be able to figure out a
good solution to get me back on my bike...I miss it so.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

If you look at this link, the trailer i'm buying has an optional seat for
babies up to 9 months. (listed in accessories at bottom of page).

http://tinyurl.com/yr3jm

It's a special seat made for the trailer shown here;

http://tinyurl.com/3y7zb

I'm going to buy the 2 seater Cougar CTS.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 6 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

Old January 9th 04, 10:57 PM
Andrea

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
Are you one of the Cambridge posters? If so, try cam.misc or
cam.transport for tips and opinions

Andrea's not, but I am, we're thinking about getting a bike seat, I don't
think I trailer would suit our needs.

-----------
Anne Rogers

I didn't like the idea of a bike seat, especially in wet weather, the
trailer is weatherproof and takes 2 children so long as their weight between
them doesn't exeed 100lbs.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 7 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

Old January 9th 04, 11:24 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

nospam wrote:

I am buying a couple of child trailers to fit on mine and dh's
bikes, do you have any experiences with them?

DH and I bought the Burley D'Lite (here in the US) when I was pregnant
with DD. This is similar to the Kiddy Van 101 at
www.twoplustwo.uk.com. When DD was very young, we put her in a baby
carrier and strapped her into the trailer backwards, like you would
in a car.

How do you mean, carrier? Was it just a regular car seat? I've been trying
to find info about doing this, but trailer manufacturers all seem to say
that you have to wait until the child can hold up his/her head while wearing
a helmet (~1 year). I'd really like to know exactly how you did this...I
don't necessarily think the kid has to have a helmet when riding in a
trailer, especially if he's in a car seat.

We used one of those infant carrier / carseat things (e.g., Graco
Snugride) and put it in the trailer rear-facing as if it were in the car
without its base.

I should say, this is NOT recommended by any company, infant carrier or
trailer.

I used to do bike touring, back before Sprogly, and I dream of being able to
do it again, with baby in tow. I'd like to try it this summer, but Sprogly
won't be a year old until September. I'd love to be able to figure out a
good solution to get me back on my bike...I miss it so.

Yeah, we were the same way. We were avid bicyclists who didn't want to
give it up. We had friends who did the same thing (although they
weren't the most safety conscious people I know). Bicycling got to be
pretty much impossible when DD was potty-training ("Mommy! I have to go
NOWWWW!").

Jeanne

Old January 10th 04, 06:15 AM
Karen

Off road is probably even worse for the seat. I was convinced I wanted a
seat rather than a trailer too, until I actually researched it. Turns
out the research shows that the location of the seat over the rear wheel
makes the baby/child have to absorb much more shock and shaking to the
spine, neck, and head, which can be very hard on their bodies especially
when considering the weight of the helmet. The bike is almost much more
unstable with the seat when you're getting on and off.

-Karen-

Old January 10th 04, 09:40 AM
Andrea

nospam wrote:

[...]

Trailer companies now make their own safe child seats, and they can be used
in the trailer up to 9 months, see them here

http://tinyurl.com/3y7zb

We are buying the Cougar 2 CTS shown on this page

http://tinyurl.com/yr3jm

Yeah, we were the same way. We were avid bicyclists who didn't want to
give it up. We had friends who did the same thing (although they
weren't the most safety conscious people I know). Bicycling got to be
pretty much impossible when DD was potty-training ("Mommy! I have to go
NOWWWW!").

Jeanne

I just want to get fit and have some fun, I didn't think about the potty
training bit!
My son is 2 and still not wanting to be potty trained.
How far did you go with the trailer, was it just short rides or longer
journeys? I want to use it for school runs and some longer fun days out in
the summer.

Old January 10th 04, 01:55 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

nospam wrote:

Trailer companies now make their own safe child seats, and they can be used
in the trailer up to 9 months, see them here

http://tinyurl.com/3y7zb

That's good. This was 5-6 years ago with DD.
I just want to get fit and have some fun, I didn't think about the potty
training bit!

Neither did we

My son is 2 and still not wanting to be potty trained.
How far did you go with the trailer, was it just short rides or longer
journeys? I want to use it for school runs and some longer fun days out in
the summer.

When DD was an baby (or up to potty training age), we went on group
rides of about 25-36 miles on weekends. We also did short 8-10 mile
rides. I would haul the trailer going out and DH would get the trailer
coming back to the starting point.

When she was potty-training and a bit older, we just did very short 3-4
mile rides.

At 4-5, DD wanted to learn how to ride a bike. The rides just last our
little court. We also got the trail-a-bike - with that we could still do
the 3-4 mile rides.

Now, we don't ride at all .

I'm hoping this spring to take the baby and DD out for bike rides again
- just the 3 and 8 mile rides. No 25 miler for now.

The far-off goal is to take a bicycling vacation or do one of the
organized rides (I'm told the Peanut Ride in Virginia is a good one for
families).
Jeanne

Old January 10th 04, 06:22 PM
Anne Rogers

I didn't like the idea of a bike seat, especially in wet weather, the
trailer is weatherproof and takes 2 children so long as their weight between
them doesn't exeed 100lbs.

for various reasons we are likely to not have another chikld til ds is 5,
plus, if its raining I'm a wimp and I would take the car or not go out!

Old January 10th 04, 06:43 PM
Andrea

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

I didn't like the idea of a bike seat, especially in wet weather, the
trailer is weatherproof and takes 2 children so long as their weight

between
them doesn't exeed 100lbs.

for various reasons we are likely to not have another chikld til ds is 5,
plus, if its raining I'm a wimp and I would take the car or not go out!

We don't have a car, by choice. We love to walk it's great for our health,
and we use a taxi once a week for food shopping.