possible seizure in Kamron?

Old January 19th 04, 01:47 PM
Andrea

Default possible seizure in Kamron?

A short time ago Kami was lying in his chair (bouncy on an angle), when he
arched his back (it stayed arched) and his head went to the right looking
up, and his left shoulder jerked about 3-4 times in a pattern. My husband
said his eyes were rolled back, but this was all over very quick and he is
now playing happily.

Should we be concerned?

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 7 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

Old January 19th 04, 02:23 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi, Andrea --

If you have even the FAINTEST worry that Kamron had a seizure, you
should call your doctor promptly. Even in the middle of the night.
Even on the doctor's favorite holiday. Since the moment has passed,
just call your doctor at the next business hours to explain what
happened and bring Kamron in. Your doctor will explain what to do next,
but a full neuro scan is entirely likely. You should also keep a close
watch on Kamron to see if it happens again.

In the meantime, Kamron should go in to see how his fluids and
electrolytes are doing. If they are off, it could explain both the
seizure (if it was one) and the constipation.

I, by the way, would take him completely off solids until his bowels are
back in order. Give him a few days for the bowels to heal, then
introduce solids again ... slowly, as though for the first time. Be
sure the solids include plenty of fiber.

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old January 19th 04, 02:37 PM
Leslie

Should we be concerned?

I would be, if I were you. Call the doctor. What can it hurt to be sure?

Leslie
Old January 19th 04, 02:45 PM
Andrea

"Leslie" wrote in message

Should we be concerned?

I would be, if I were you. Call the doctor. What can it hurt to be sure?

Leslie

Yes you're right. I am taking him to the DR.

I had a look on the net and infantile spasm seems very close to what Kami
did.

I hope I'm wrong. My daughter has partial seizures.

Old January 19th 04, 02:47 PM
Leslie

Hope you're wrong too. I'll say a prayer for him right now. Please let us
know.

Leslie
Old January 19th 04, 02:47 PM
Andrea

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the advice Beth. I am taking him to the Dr. I hate my docs, they
don't hesitate to have a go at you if they think you're wasting their
precious time!

Will keep you posted.

Old January 19th 04, 04:47 PM
Shannon and Joe

Even a suspected seizure should be taken extremely seriously. Call your Dr.
Won't it be nice to find out it was nothing!

In the meantime, I'll say a prayer for you that it was something benign.

-Shannon

Old January 19th 04, 07:27 PM
New York Jen

"Richard" wrote in message
Andrea wrote:
: [ . . . ] I hate my docs, they don't hesitate to have a go at you if

they
: think you're wasting their precious time!

Andrea, it's time to find new doctors.

Richard
Micaela's dad

My thoughts exactly Richard...you should never be made to feel that way.

Our pediatricians always say if we have ANY doubt, to call them. I've been
apologetic when we got there and Laszlo was totally fine, and they always
reassured me that I did the right thing by bringing him in to be checked
out.

Old January 19th 04, 09:00 PM
Jacqui

New York Jen wibbled
Richard wrote
Andrea wrote:
: [ . . . ] I hate my docs, they don't hesitate to have a go at
: you if

they
: think you're wasting their precious time!

Andrea, it's time to find new doctors.

My thoughts exactly Richard...you should never be made to feel
that way.

It's one of the downsides of not paying directly for your medical care.
There's no sense of customer care because it doesn't really matter to
them if you leave (someone else will take your place so their income is
unlikely to drop). If you live in a place where there isn't much
alternative, GPs can tend to be rather high-handed and "you accept my
opinion because you have no alternative" about things.

Andrea does have the right to choose an alternative GP or surgery -
whether one is available and will take her is another matter entirely.

Jac
Old January 19th 04, 09:14 PM
Ducky Lawyer

Jacqui wrote:

It's one of the downsides of not paying directly for your medical care.

REally? (I'm serious - see below)

There's no sense of customer care because it doesn't really matter to
them if you leave (someone else will take your place so their income is
unlikely to drop). If you live in a place where there isn't much
alternative, GPs can tend to be rather high-handed and "you accept my
opinion because you have no alternative" about things.

I mean, we have a publicly funded medical system and I haven't run
into this attitude. I think it may be a scapegoat for those who don't
support public healthcare, to say XYZ problem is *because* we have
public care, rather than addressing the problem. Unfortunately my
extended family has had a lot of experience with doctors and hospitals
and the medical system here, and I'd say that the arrogance factor is
separate from the issue of funding/payment. Just IMO/E of course.

Andrea does have the right to choose an alternative GP or surgery -
whether one is available and will take her is another matter entirely.

Now that is something entirely familiar to me! We continue to have a
shortage of doctors in Ontario, including family doctors. Our own
family lucked out WTR docs (family physicians/GPs) for the girls, but
the standard line we heard was, "I'm not taking any new patients right
now". This has been a standard line since, oh, atleast the mid 90s if
not earlier.

-Barbara