repost: egg allergies (possibly OT)

Old March 12th 04, 03:26 AM
Barbara Warner

Default repost: egg allergies (possibly OT)

[reposting under my correct email addy]
Just found out our 15 month old twins have an allergy to eggs. Doesn't
look overly severe at this point, but we're doing a strict elimination
diet for them, and are hoping they'll outgrow it (We don't have a
history of allergies in either family so hope that the chances are good.)
I've been doing a bit of reading online and have coem to the conclusion
that I should do an elimination diet as well, to be extra sure. The
girls eat solids regularly but have been sick with other things lately
(stomach flu, times two just isn't any fun and it's been on and off for
nearly two months!). On a good day, they nurse morning, afternoon,
bedtime, and then might nurse once over night. When they are sick or I'm
hanging around home (I WOH most days), they'll nurse anywhere from 2-3
times more.

Has anyone else dealt with egg allergies? looking for eggs, egg yolk,
etc, on labels is straightforward -- but are there other inregidents
were should be wary of? (We're ordering checklists and 'hot to read a
label' cards to help but in the meantime, I thought I'd ask here for
real life examples).

I really hope they do grow out of it, and that I don't find the
transition too hard. Eggs are so prevalent here that it's going to take
a lot of work; and my girls love nursing (and it's the best way to quiet
them at bedtime and cuddle two at once, and it's nice for mama too)

My Dh is a bit grumpy at the thought of eliminating egg from my diet
because it means he'll have to too, atleast for most meals. He's fine
with the rationale but implementing things may be a bit difficult for
him (we've survived the past 15-20 months by having a mix of fresh and
prepared foods, and the latter usually have some sort of egg to bind,
preserve,etc).

Thanks in advance for the information and support!
-Barbara-

Old March 22nd 04, 11:30 PM
Jenrose

Has anyone else dealt with egg allergies? looking for eggs, egg yolk,
etc, on labels is straightforward -- but are there other inregidents
were should be wary of? (We're ordering checklists and 'hot to read a
label' cards to help but in the meantime, I thought I'd ask here for
real life examples).

My kiddo has been egg-free since birth, she's almost 11. It's all about
paying attention and not taking chances.

Jenrose

New with question about allergies bshadder General 4 April 28th 04 09:09 PM
CTTS: "Allergies" Emily Breastfeeding 0 March 10th 04 06:48 AM
Peanut allergies on rise in children JG Kids Health 0 December 9th 03 08:50 PM
Preventing allergies - any reliable evidence? Elizabeth A Kids Health 1 July 29th 03 12:19 PM
Preventing allergies - any reliable evidence? Elizabeth A Pregnancy 0 July 28th 03 12:54 PM