Toddler loves Canned Fruits in Sugar Syrup

Old February 24th 05, 02:43 AM
tired_mom

Default Toddler loves Canned Fruits in Sugar Syrup

Is it healthy to give that to a 2 year old?
I am just wondering how much preservatives etc are in those canned
fruits and if they are bad.

I tried cutting fruits and dipped them in sugar syrup I made, but my
son does not even look at it

Thanks for the advice!

Old February 24th 05, 03:00 AM
Tori M.

get the kind not in heavy syrup. Usualy it can be found in pear juice or
something simular. My daughter loves the canned fruit as well but she does
not have any weight issues other then having very little body fat.. I supose
that is a good thing though I encourage any and all fruit eating that she
does.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/02
Xavier 10/04
oups.com...

Old February 24th 05, 02:17 PM
jojo

I simply open the can, rinse the fruit well in water, then fill the can back
up with water.
My son (also 2) eats the fruit and then likes to "dink da joose"
jojo

oups.com...

Old February 24th 05, 03:06 PM
SurveyCrazy

It's too much sugar - they sell fruits in white grape or pear juice
which is much much better and also he won't get as many preservatives,
etc...

Old February 24th 05, 03:21 PM
hobbes

"tired_mom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it healthy to give that to a 2 year old?
I am just wondering how much preservatives etc are in those canned
fruits and if they are bad.

I tried cutting fruits and dipped them in sugar syrup I made, but my
son does not even look at it

Thanks for the advice!

I don't worry about the preservatives as much as the sugar. My kids like
canned fruits too, but I only buy the ones in their own juice with no sugar
added. I can find peaches, pears, mandarin oranges, and sometimes apricots
that way.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (4 years)

Old February 25th 05, 05:00 PM
Sandie Hudson

"SurveyCrazy" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's too much sugar - they sell fruits in white grape or pear
juice
which is much much better and also he won't get as many
preservatives,
etc...

I've heard and read several places that the fruit juice is often
so concentrated that the sugar is about the same. Read the carb
info on the label to see.

Sandie

Old March 1st 05, 01:01 AM
Catherine Woodgold

"Sandie Hudson" ) writes:
I've heard and read several places that the fruit juice is often
so concentrated that the sugar is about the same. Read the carb
info on the label to see.

I don't care. The sugar in juice comes with nutrients
from the fruit, unlike processed sugar that has nutrients
like chromium removed from it.

An idea: you can transition him from the sugary-syrup
fruit to fruit-in-pear-juice by mixing them in
various proportions. You can change it gradually without
telling him you're doing that.
--
Cathy
A *much* better world is possible.
Old March 1st 05, 01:03 AM
Catherine Woodgold

) writes:
Juice is highly overrated.

I think juice is good, having most of the nutritional value
of the fruits or vegetables it comes from. I drink lots of
juice. I drink more water than juice, though. Some kids
do drink too much juice for a balanced diet.

Old March 1st 05, 02:48 AM
toto

On 1 Mar 2005 01:03:42 GMT, (Catherine
Woodgold) wrote:

) writes:
Juice is highly overrated.

I think juice is good, having most of the nutritional value
of the fruits or vegetables it comes from. I drink lots of
juice. I drink more water than juice, though. Some kids
do drink too much juice for a balanced diet.

Among the recommendations of the AAP report are that:

* when you give your child juice, it should be 100%
pasteurized fruit juice and not fruit drinks.

* infants under 6 months of age should not be given juice,
although many Pediatricians do recommend small amounts
of juice for children that are constipated

* younger children aged 1 to 6 years should have only 4-6
ounces of juice a day.

* older children should be limited to 8-12 ounces of juice
a day

* instead of juice, children should be encouraged to eat
whole fruits

The Juice 'Problem'
One of the main problems with drinking too much juice, is
that it is filling and will decrease your child's appetite for
other more nutritious foods. While your child will still get a
lot of calories, they will mostly be from sugars or carbohydrates,
and not from fat or protein, which can contribute to a poorly
balanced diet. Also, fruit juices generally don't have a lot of
vitamins and nutrients, although they do have Vitamin C and
some are fortified with calcium. Also, if you child is drinking
a lot of juice, then he probably isn't drinking much milk, which
is a good source of calcium and other vitamins and nutrients

**********
The Benefits of Juice
After all of this talk about the 'juice' controversy, is there any
reason to give your child juice at all? Many kids don't like
eating fruit, so offering fruit juice is one way to get your child
the 2 (for younger kids) to 4 servings (older kids) of fruit that
is recommended in the Food Pyramid Guide. A 6 ounce
glass of 100% fruit juice can substitute for (but is not really
equal to) one serving of fruit. The AAP advises that half of
your child's fruit servings from the Food Pyramid Guide can
come from 100% fruit juice.

Still, it is important to remember that the recommended
servings of fruit juice are actually limits. Your child does not
need to drink any fruit juice, especially if he is getting the
Food Guide Pyramid's recommended servings of fruit by
eating whole fruit.

Fruit juice can be helpful for children who are constipated
and fruit juice diluted with fluoridated water is a good way
to get your child fluoride if he doesn't like to drink plain
water.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old March 1st 05, 11:52 AM
NYSCOF

Fruit juice can be helpful for children who are constipated
and fruit juice diluted with fluoridated water is a good way
to get your child fluoride if he doesn't like to drink plain
water.

Be careful, some juices, especially grape, have such high fluoride
contents (if you aren't using organic) that can put children at risk of
dental fluorosis if consumed daily.

NYSCOF
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof

fluoride in foods