How many no-spanks have pushed their kids to become schoolteachers?

Old May 9th 06, 05:50 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

Default How many no-spanks have pushed their kids to become schoolteachers?

Today is National Teacher Day. The National Education Association,
only a few months away from becoming the largest union in American
history, claims "Great Teachers Make Great Public Schools."

Still, in yet another orgy of self-pity, the NEA claims that half of
new teachers quit within the 1st 5 years. This is nothing new. The
proportion of new teachers who leave the profession has hovered around
50% for decades!

To make matters worse for the NEA, not enough people become teachers to
suit them. The aging, mostly female, NEA membership means that there
will be plenty of job openings for teachers over the next 10 years.
Here's a great opportunity to be around lots of children all day long
and never spank a single one!

Now, here's the question for all of you child-loving parents, who
wouldn't spank a child in a million years, how may of you told your
children to become schoolteachers? More interestingly, how many of you
have ever spent a significant amount of time employed as a
schoolteacher? Who tried it and got out?

Don't be bashful. Step forward. Lively there.

Old May 9th 06, 06:31 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

Opinions wrote:

....no no, this belongs with your maggie hatemail, lil 'o' ...

YOU are supposed to be a gentleman. R R R R R

Today is National Teacher Day. The National Education Association,
only a few months away from becoming the largest union in American
history, claims "Great Teachers Make Great Public Schools."

Sounds about right to me, and I'm a homeschooling advocate. That doesn't
say I do not see the need for the public and other school systems though.

Still, in yet another orgy of self-pity, the NEA claims that half of
new teachers quit within the 1st 5 years. This is nothing new. The
proportion of new teachers who leave the profession has hovered around
50% for decades!

Let me see now. Frequent 10 to twelves hour days. Having to shop for and
buy supplies out of their own pockets. After school and weekend
activities. Modest pay, to say the least.

Rooms full of spanked children to try and calm and build trust with.

And that wonderful two month vacation every year, that they better be
spending in professional development if they ever want to see salary
raises.

To make matters worse for the NEA, not enough people become teachers to
suit them. The aging, mostly female, NEA membership means that there
will be plenty of job openings for teachers over the next 10 years.
Here's a great opportunity to be around lots of children all day long
and never spank a single one!

Great recruiting. My society thanks you.

Now, here's the question for all of you child-loving parents, who
wouldn't spank a child in a million years, how may of you told your
children to become schoolteachers? More interestingly, how many of you
have ever spent a significant amount of time employed as a
schoolteacher? Who tried it and got out?

Don't be bashful. Step forward. Lively there.

What would your questions be pertinent to? They seem kind of limp and
pointless to me. 0:-

You ask a lot of personal questions for someone that won't answer any.
Notice?

I think that says a great deal about your morals. Don't you?

I have five school teachers in my extended family. That's were my list
comes from above. My wife has three, and a social worker.

She works with the elderly and suggests that you probably need a psych
eval related to aging issues.

0:-

Old May 9th 06, 11:28 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

Opinions wrote:
Today is National Teacher Day. The National Education Association,
only a few months away from becoming the largest union in American
history, claims "Great Teachers Make Great Public Schools."

Great teachers do make great public schools. No surprise in this statement.

Still, in yet another orgy of self-pity, the NEA claims that half of
new teachers quit within the 1st 5 years. This is nothing new. The
proportion of new teachers who leave the profession has hovered around
50% for decades!

I don't know whether the percentage of new teachers leaving the
profession has hovered around 50% for decades, and since you have
provided no reference, there is no way to know whether or not this is true.

However, teaching is difficult. Teaching means continual training to
maintain one's license. A salary cap far less than the salary cap for
other professions with similar education requirements, yet no
requirement for ongoing training. And while other professions earn
respect, there is no limit to the amount of scorn certain members of
society are ready to heap upon out nation's teachers. Teaching is not
for the faint-hearted -- it's for the individuals who love children, who
love to teach, and who find the rewards outweigh the problems.

To make matters worse for the NEA, not enough people become teachers to
suit them. The aging, mostly female, NEA membership means that there
will be plenty of job openings for teachers over the next 10 years.

In many states, far more people are earning teaching degrees than the
market can accommodate. I tell my students to move to find a job if
necessary, and wait a few years, for there are teachers who will be
retiring.

Here's a great opportunity to be around lots of children all day long
and never spank a single one!

It's a wonderful opportunity for individuals who love children, who love
teaching, and who abhor the idea of hitting a child. Of course, those
individuals would have to find teaching jobs in non-paddling states. If
they find the idea of hitting a child acceptable, there are no shortage
of states that still permit the practice in schools.

Now, here's the question for all of you child-loving parents, who
wouldn't spank a child in a million years, how may of you told your
children to become schoolteachers? More interestingly, how many of you
have ever spent a significant amount of time employed as a
schoolteacher? Who tried it and got out?

I have.

LaVonne

Don't be bashful. Step forward. Lively there.

Old May 9th 06, 11:42 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

Opinions wrote:

Now, here's the question for all of you child-loving parents, who
wouldn't spank a child in a million years, how may of you told your
children to become schoolteachers?

I never "told" my children to become anything. I taught them to look at
their interests, their strengths, and their weaknesses, and decide what
they wanted to do with their future.

My youngest child has a degree from Northwestern in radio, tv, and film.
She is now working with AmeriCorp, tutoring children in the public
school system. She loves this so much that she is looking into the
possibility of a teaching license.

More interestingly, how many of you
have ever spent a significant amount of time employed as a
schoolteacher?

I spend a significant amount of time as a schoolteacher of children. I
then went on to earn my doctorate and train future teachers.

Who tried it and got out?

I tried it, loved it, and decided there was a need for teachers in
higher education who trained and supervised individuals learning to be
teachers.

By the way, my students are appalled by the number of states that still
allow school paddling. Many choose to work only in non-paddling states,
and some have chosen other careers because they only had job offers in
states that allow and encourage school paddling.

Don't be bashful. Step forward. Lively there.

Never been bashful and always stepped forward.

LaVonne

Old May 10th 06, 05:09 AM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

ooooooooooh, my, how could there classrooms be full of spanked children
when spanking was supposed to be on the decline.............the good
news is that i believe you've got schoolteachers in the
family.............

]:^ runs around her dog lot barking that she's related to
schoolteachers...........

Old May 10th 06, 05:11 AM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

weeeeeeeeell, that's a couple of goose eggs for replacment, assuming
the youngest has an older..................oh, by the way, i've heard a
rumor that teaching in higher education is easier than in the public
school classroom..........why is that the promotion in education is
always out of the classroom..................wonder what would happen
if we put all those teacher of teachers into the
classroom............that should really improve the quality if
education, shouldn't it..................that assumes they really can
teach.............

Old May 11th 06, 01:33 AM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

Yes, my dear maggie, there is an older. She has fairly severe learning
disabilities, and college was not an option for her. She has an
apartment and a job. In her life, becoming a teacher was not an option.

You may have heard that teaching in higher education is easier than in a
public school classroom. I can tell you that this is a myth. Besides
that, I am still in a public school classroom because I am at a public
university.

The ultimate in ignorance is your statement that promotion in education
is always out of the classroom. Becoming a university instructor and
lecturer is not a promotion. It's a different system. It requires
additional degrees, and it requires an application process. Public
universities and a-21 public school classrooms are two different things.

But what about teachers leaving the profession because they cannot hit
children? You cut all of my post, and you choose not to address this?

LaVonne

Old May 11th 06, 05:03 AM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

Default children of "no-spanks" not becoming schoolteachers

weeeeeeell, now, that's still a couple of goose eggs for replacement
isn't it...........nothing's changed there, has
it................soooooooooo, who picks the textbooks for the classes
you teach..........who determines the content of your
lectures...................who makes out the exams you
give...............who decides what grades are given to students in
your classes...........who has the final say in who moves on and who
doesn't................how does the above compare with teaching in
today's public school classroom..............which states require
teachers to paddle students.............if a teacher can handle
classroom discipline and cannot paddle on her own, why should any
discipline problem make it to the office................do you only
graduate students who agree to never paddle students...........trust
me, i don't hang on your every word..........you're ignored usually
because you don't seem to have anything important to say............

Old May 11th 06, 06:49 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

In Massachusetts, teachers are paid on the same wage scale as the
janitors. This dispite teachers having advanced degrees, have
continuing education requirements, and have to work long hours. My wife
is a teacher. She teaches students from 8:15 to 3:15 and then grades
and prepares from 3:15 to around 11:00, 5 days a week. Weekends, she
spends about 8 hours preparing and grading. She also spends several
thousand dollars a year on class materials. All this for barely a
livable wage which declines every year (as it does not keep up with
inflation).

I'm not surprised that most teachers leave the industry and move into a
field that America values.
http://www.cafepress.com/bush_dogger...29?pid=2794571