8 Year Old Recovers

Old May 29th 04, 09:29 PM
M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 29, 2004

Default 8 Year Old Recovers

"Coleah" wrote in message
news:Bh1uc.18362$Ly.9458@attbi_s01...

"Brunibus" wrote in message

"PF Riley" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 May 2004 21:41:34 GMT, "M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 28, 2004"
M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t wrote:

Now, the Loflin family plans to sue the school for child endangerment

and
neglect. The Mid-Del district said it's investigating the case.

And we get to the usual American punchline to any story like this.

Remember: When something bad happens to you, it's always someone
else's fault,

So what if the child had died ?
I suppose it would just have been 'dashed bad bit of luck' ?
It's outrageous that potentially lethal meds are handed over to 8

year-olds.

and you've hit the jackpot!

PF

=======================
A workable standard policy for any school at the end
of the school year could be that if meds are not picked
up within one week of school ending, it all gets
disposed of. I'm wondering how often Ritalin must be taken
and why the family didn't give it to him at home
and leave the school out of it.

Firstly, there are many newer, and more expensive, long acting formulations
which will take the school out of the loop.

Secondly, your idea that the med is disposed of after a week is a good one.
My district does it.

What physical long lasting damage would come
from an overdose? If none, the school should be
liable for whatever medical bills (not covered by
the parents insurance) incurred. Nothing for
'pain and suffering'.

What about the "pain and suffereing" the proponents of proper treatment have
gone through?

And yes, one isolated case gets a lot of publicity
and causes paranoia.

The truly med-parnoids wil claim that it is the medications fault.

Old May 29th 04, 09:33 PM
M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 29, 2004

"Randor" wrote in message

That's probably the best suggestion so far Mark; go out and get the policy
changed to raise awareness and help prevent it from happening again.

It is the only logical one. I should have mentioned that the parents are
notified that they have until the Xth of June to pick up, or the meds wil
lbe discarded.

But for those lazy ones amongst us, just sue. It's only a couple of
phonecalls and maybe your picture on the news! Never worry that the money
you will be awarded will be taken straight away from the budgets of the
money strapped school system, it will be better spent on you and the

spouse
taking well deserved break from the kids on a trip to Vegas.

I know exactly what you are talking about. From 1988 to 1991 I was a member
of the school board. One of my best efforts was a cooperative purchasing
program for liability insurance. We saved a few million over the three
years.

And, then our idiot administrators brouight us Mepham High School. If you do
not know what that is all about, look it up on Google News, or at
www.newsday.com.

"M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 28, 2004" M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t
wrote in message
. net...

wrote:

Now, the Loflin family plans to sue the school for child endangerment

and
neglect. The Mid-Del district said it's investigating the case.

And we get to the usual American punchline to any story like this.

Remember: When something bad happens to you, it's always someone
else's fault, and you've hit the jackpot!

Giving a prescription bottle to an eight year old is just plain dumb.

The
fact that itwas the school district's policy, makes it even dumber.

Check YOUR local school district's policy. If it is as dumb as this one,
start a campaign to change it. My district's policy is to give the
medications ONLY to parents, and no third parties.

Old May 29th 04, 09:34 PM
Coleah

M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t wrote:

[...]

Well if this isn't trivialising matters, nothing is.

As I said.....if no 'lasting damage'.
I also think that a parent who has a child taking
regular medication needs to be responsible for
educating that child that their medication is
not 'candy'.

Old May 30th 04, 01:42 PM
M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 29, 2004

"mdd" wrote in message

"M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 29, 2004" M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t
wrote in message
. net...

"mdd" wrote in message

"M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 28, 2004" M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t
wrote in message
. net...

wrote:

Now, the Loflin family plans to sue the school for child

endangerment
and
neglect. The Mid-Del district said it's investigating the case.

And we get to the usual American punchline to any story like this.

Remember: When something bad happens to you, it's always someone
else's fault, and you've hit the jackpot!

Giving a prescription bottle to an eight year old is just plain

dumb.
The
fact that itwas the school district's policy, makes it even dumber.

Check YOUR local school district's policy. If it is as dumb as this

one,
start a campaign to change it. My district's policy is to give the
medications ONLY to parents, and no third parties.

Mark is 100% right on this. mdd

I am consistently nearly 100% correct, but, alas, you never seem to see

it.

However, let me point out that several years ago I did make a mistake.

For
just a moment I thought I wrong, but, was not.

Easy there now, let's not get carried away.

Hmm, there's an idea...is this your teme song?

http://www.koyote.com/users/tschmidt/Funnyfarm.html

Old May 30th 04, 02:35 PM
mdd

"M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 29, 2004" M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t
wrote in message
t...

"mdd" wrote in message

"M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 29, 2004" M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t
wrote in message
. net...

"mdd" wrote in message

"M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 28, 2004" M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t
wrote in message
. net...

wrote:

[...]

Wishful thinking.

Old May 30th 04, 02:39 PM
M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 30, 2004

"mdd" wrote in message

"M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 29, 2004" M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t
wrote in message
t...

"mdd" wrote in message

"M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 29, 2004" M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t
wrote in message
. net...

"mdd" wrote in message

"M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 28, 2004" M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t
wrote in message
. net...

wrote:

[...]

Just be careful, I am a very good wisher.