another expecting the unexpected

Old October 28th 08, 04:33 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Default another expecting the unexpected

I guess that counts as an announcement! Much to our surprise we seem to
be expecting number 3. Over the last few months I finally got to the
point where I was content with not having another child, regardless of
happenings in pregnancy we'd planned to have a gap between 2 and 3
anyway. With a bad pregnancy and birth for number 2 it took me a long
time to process that number 3 wasn't going to happen, but I eventually
swung round and was starting to feel that actually I didn't want one
after a long gap, I was beginning to enjoy the freedom!

In early September, I joked with my husband that if I got pregnant later
that month, I'd have the same due date as both our previous children,
who were both due on 14th June. I think fate settled things at that
point, we think I must have got pregnant the first time I used a new
diaphragm, I remember checking it was over my cervix when I used it and
I'm pretty sure I used the right about or spermicide, but even used
correctly, I know it's only about 95% reliable. Ironically, I'd made an
appointment where I intended to ask about other more reliable methods,
but by then it was too late!

I'm now 7+1, so it's still early days, but I'm very sick, more than
either of my other pregnancies, so I'm hopeful that it will stick
around! Having had the other two in the UK, I know live in the US, so
I've got the system here to figure out now! I'd investigated it before
and had thought that I would probably not be accepted by a midwife, but
it turns out that the nearest to us are a pair where one is also a
natropathic doctor, that qualification gives them a lot more breathing
room in state law as they can consult her rather than going to an
obstetrician and they have taken me on, which was such a relief. I've
explained how there are situations where I wouldn't take the chance of a
vaginal birth and they are happy with that and keen to work with me to
avoid those situations - having had a severe injury from birthing a
posterior baby that didn't turn, I'm not happy going into labour with
anything other than a good position.

This is great news as my biggest fear had been vaginal birth in
hospital, if it's coming out that way then I want to be in water under
the care of a midwife I know, not whichever nurse is assigned and the
doctor called at the very end.

I've already had some bloods drawn and they all came back fine other
than very low vitamin D, I don't know if I've ever had that tested
before, I remember reading somewhere about vitamin D being related to
perception of pain in someway, so it will be interesting to see what
happens. I'm supposed to be taking 5000IU per day. The problem is, I'm
sick so often, I don't know how much stays down!

I'm curious as to the frequent sickness, I was very nauseous with #1,
but only sick twice at 14 and 28 weeks, so not even first trimester.
With #2 I had less nausea and more sickness, but it was right through so
it was probably only a couple of times in the first trimester, right
now I'm sick in the morning on an almost daily basis and occasionally at
other times of day. #1 was a boy and #2 was a girl, so I can't attribute
this to the baby being the opposite sex! Twins did cross my mind, but
I'm not rushing to get a scan to figure that out, though if it
continues, I might consider it as I would find it very reassuring to
find out it's only one!

This group is really quiet these days, where else are people hanging
out? I've really valued having people to talk to, but message boards
that stick 10 messages per page and have loads of colours and no
restrictions about people putting tickers in their signatures drive me
crazy!

Cheers
Anne
Old October 28th 08, 05:31 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka

Anne Rogers wrote:
I guess that counts as an announcement! Much to our surprise we seem to
be expecting number 3.

Congratulations!

I'm curious as to the frequent sickness, I was very nauseous with #1,
but only sick twice at 14 and 28 weeks, so not even first trimester.
With #2 I had less nausea and more sickness, but it was right through so
it was probably only a couple of times in the first trimester, right
now I'm sick in the morning on an almost daily basis and occasionally at
other times of day.

I think it's just those third babies. They're ornery ;-)
I was sick as a dog with #3. Never threw up at all with #1 or #2,
but did it a lot with #3 all the way through 20 weeks.

This group is really quiet these days, where else are people hanging
out?

Dunno. I'm still lurking here, though obviously don't
have much to post as we are *so* done ;-) I do miss sweet new
babies, but life is plenty busy these days!

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 28th 08, 08:56 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

Anne Rogers wrote:
I guess that counts as an announcement!

Congratulations!

This group is really quiet these days, where else are people hanging
out? I've really valued having people to talk to, but message boards
that stick 10 messages per page and have loads of colours and no
restrictions about people putting tickers in their signatures drive me
crazy!

I'm still reading, but there's just not much to talk about on my end.
Sara's a year a month and a couple of days and still nursing a lot. I've
just today started my first period (seriously bad timing, too...) and
I'm totally not planning another child. Two are enough for this little
household ;-)

take care
nicole

#1 and #2 had due dates 1 day apart. their actual birthdays are 8 days
apart.
When we were trying for #3 I told dh we'd avoid October birthday. (dh is
October too)
[...]

I was most sick with #2, both nausea and sickness. I was sick about 4x a
day, which I know isn't bad on the absolute scale, but felt pretty rough at
the time. She was definitely only 1, although I know that twins crossed my
mind too!
Although I was least sick with #3 by a long way, I still found the pregnancy
very hard, it really seemed to drag badly. I put it down to having 2
children to look after.

This group is really quiet these days, where else are people hanging out?
I've really valued having people to talk to, but message boards that stick
10 messages per page and have loads of colours and no restrictions about
people putting tickers in their signatures drive me crazy!

Well I'm still hanging on here. I don't think we're having any more
(planned) and so I keep thinking about unsubscribing, but not quite getting
round to it.
Debbie

Old October 28th 08, 03:05 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nikki

Anne Rogers wrote:
I guess that counts as an announcement! Much to our surprise we seem to
be expecting number 3.

Yay - Congratulations!!! I wish you only the best pregnancy and delivery!!!

In early September, I joked with my husband that if I got pregnant later
that month, I'd have the same due date as both our previous children,
who were both due on 14th June. I think fate settled things at that
point,

Lol, all my babies had due dates within one week of each other and all
were born in April.

Twins did cross my mind, but
I'm not rushing to get a scan to figure that out, though if it
continues, I might consider it as I would find it very reassuring to
find out it's only one!

If they took blood to test your numbers then I think the numbers are
really high or double really fast with twins and that might give you
some info. I didn't have any of that - didn't know it was twins
until 20 week scan.

Exciting news. I can live vicariously through you. I'm done but
always long for a little baby! Hmmm - maybe I can trade in a couple of
ornery two year olds, lol.

--

Nikki
Old October 28th 08, 04:30 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Congratulations, Anne! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for smooth
sailing this time round!

--

Jamie Clark

www.ClarkDigitalArts.com

Old October 28th 08, 05:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Rebecca Jo

I hang out at http://www.mothering.com/discussions mostly now.

--
Mama to Alexander 6/6/05 and Jack 7/7/07

Old October 28th 08, 10:09 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

[...]

Oh! Congrats! Another one with a little "surprise!" baby

My first 2 pregnancies were identical.
I had nothing but horrible morning sickness day and night right from the
start until the end. Certain foods and smells were horrible triggers -
strawberries were one, and I remember even lingering cigarette smoke made me
puke... and I was a smoker before being pregnant both times. I had a ton of
energy from day one until the end as well. I was in school full time and
working at night. I felt awesome, but that morning sickness was horrid -
but it didn't seem to slow me down or anything. Both were boys.
My 3d and 4th pregnancies were completely opposite from 1 and 2... and
identical to eachother as well. No morning sickness at all (other than when
I'd brush my teeth, I'd more often gag and throw up. Foods and smells did
not bother me, although I found I would almost crave the strangest of
things - I'd unroll my windows driving through construction to get that
great smell of them oiling freshly asphalted roads. I LOVED the horrible
smells of things like WD-40, permanent markers and, well, fueling up my
diesel car was like being in heaven with the smell of diesel. And the smell
of my car - diesel and all - was so great. It was probably really bad, but
those smells were so great for some odd reason and I really struggled to
control myself! I had NO energy. I was always tired, sore, couldn't
sleep... Both of those pregnancies were girls.
Now with this latest one, it's a girl as well and the same thing as #3 and
#4... No energy, no sickness, no sleep, sore, tired... just the exact same.

I do check in here fairly often, but it definitely seems to be quite dead
lately... Back when I was pg with DD1 and even DD2, it was bouncing around
here. Tons of activity, people always posting and replying, I even remember
there were lists kept of who was due when. I kind of miss that.

Old October 29th 08, 03:13 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I think it's just those third babies. They're ornery ;-)
I was sick as a dog with #3. Never threw up at all with #1 or #2,
but did it a lot with #3 all the way through 20 weeks.

Though didn't you have boy, boy, girl? So gender could have been the
reason? I'm not sure which way round it should be, I've seen convincing
reasons for both!

Cheers
Anne
Old October 29th 08, 03:18 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I'm still reading, but there's just not much to talk about on my end.
Sara's a year a month and a couple of days and still nursing a lot. I've
just today started my first period (seriously bad timing, too...) and
I'm totally not planning another child. Two are enough for this little
household ;-)

You're doing a great job with the nursing, I'm really hoping for a long
nursing relationship with this child. My first was very small and had a
weak suck, resulting in me having a really borderline supply, so he got
some formula from about 10 weeks until 5ish months, we got back to
exclusive feeding before introducing solids, which was an acheivement.
He weaned when I got pregnant with DD, he was around 17 months, my milk
vanished!

With DD she was never a very cuddly child, she didn't like physical
contact, nursing was purely for the milk it gave her, so although she
was never supplemented or even offered other milks when she turned one,
she weaned herself at 18 months - unusual apparently, but it was a
behaviour you could predict from the day she was born.

I'd happily have nursed both of them for much longer, so this time
around it's something I'll be really aiming for, even with DDs
behaviour, I think I could have encouraged it more at times, but I
struggled with positioning her so I didn't tend to feed her if something
else would work when she needed comforting!

Cheers
Anne

Expecting the unexpected...? Eowyn Pregnancy 8 September 22nd 08 03:06 AM
we are expecting you 2Barter08 General 0 March 23rd 08 06:40 PM
Expecting in April 08 [email protected] Pregnancy 4 December 19th 07 06:26 AM
Expecting Critter #2 Pologirl Pregnancy 5 May 24th 05 10:47 PM
We're Expecting... KimandJuan Twins & Triplets 13 October 29th 04 08:20 PM