Example of teaching religion in the schools

Old October 21st 04, 01:53 PM
Ann Porter

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
k.net...

Also, someone forwarded me this link, which I pass on to others who may be
interested religious scenes shown in legos:

http://www.thebricktestament.com/

Some of the scenes are pretty sexually explicit. Well, for legos...

Best,
Ann

Old October 21st 04, 11:00 PM
Penny Gaines

Claire Petersky wrote in
t:

"Penny Gaines" wrote in message
Claire Petersky wrote in
m:

Anyway, it sounds like it was really fun way for them to learn about

English
history. Especially the Jedis in the Cathedral.

This is wandering off-topic, but aren't there a number of people in the UK
who identified their religious beliefs in a recent census as Jedi?

Something like 390,000 people put their religion as Jedi. It doesn't
actually have any effect on the official nature, or otherwise, of the
'religion'

Also, someone forwarded me this link, which I pass on to others who may be
interested religious scenes shown in legos:

http://www.thebricktestament.com/

I liked that.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old October 22nd 04, 03:10 PM
Marion Baumgarten

"H Schinske" wrote in message

My daughter's group decided to do the religion of England.

I find this pretty funny, actually, since _The Secret Garden_ is not very
Christian at all, barring the doxology bit. In theory they ought to have
been
writing reports about Emile Coue or Yeats or someone, all the positive
thinking
and natural magic folks. (Why is it, anyway, that no one ever takes Mary
church? You'd think Mrs. Medlock would -- and I don't remember any
churchgoing
in _The Little Princess_, either, where it couldn't have been a matter of
being
too far from a church -- I guess it would have ruined the plot if there
had
been some kindly clergyman inquiring why Sara wasn't coming to
confirmation
class any longer.) The economic and class issues are also pretty cool to
think
about -- what does it mean to live on fourteen shillings a week?

I don't find the unit offensive as described- but I find it odd as I can't
remember too much religion in the Secret Garden. Although the girls in
Little Women don't go to church that I recall (and BTW for American
Protestants church going on Christmas was not the norm in the 1800s)- the
girls get New Testaments for Christmas and the first part of the book they
talk about Pilgrim's Progress which is a religious allegory. Amy, when she
is forced to spend time at the great aunt's because of illness makes a
little chapel, which is approved of by her mother. The Elsie Dinsmore series
which was as popular as Little Women is chock full of church going children.

At my kids school 5th and 6th grade is World History and part of the study
is Judaism, Pre-Reformation Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and
Post-reformation Christianity. It's presented in a historical context. The
do an interdisciplinary unit on the Middle Ages where they do plays- I
remember one on Charlemagne and Alcuin and the role of monastics in
learning. This was pretty much repeated in my daughter's freshman world
history class.

Marion Baumgarten

Old October 22nd 04, 08:34 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article m,
Claire Petersky wrote:

I know many people who are very keen in keeping religion out of the
schools, and generally, I'm one of them. But to my mind, there's a big
difference between religion being taught as state-sponsored propaganda,
and religion being taught as comparative religion, or within a cultural or
historical context, as was the case in what these kids did.

I'm curious as to what your reaction is to this, especially if you are of
the No Religion in the School mindset. I'm especially interested in your
reaction if you are English or Episcopalian.

There's a big difference IMO between teaching *about* religion, and
teaching religion. Teaching about religion, which is what happened
here, is much less problematic. I think it's also significant that
your daughter's group *chose* this topic (though the rest of the class
does end up getting it "forced" upon them).

It does seem like a bit of a stretch since I don't think religion comes
into "The Secret Garden" at all, that I can recall. But I don't see
any harm in students learning about the religious beliefs/practices
of other places and of various religions at home as well.

--Robyn

Old October 24th 04, 01:31 PM
Rosalie B.

(H Schinske) wrote:

wrote:

The Elsie Dinsmore books were VERY popular in my mom's day. [I
suspect my grandmother was somewhat unusual in prohibiting my mom to
read them because my mom was pretty sensitive to that kind of thing
which is also a bit unusual.]. At that time, I don't think that the
Alcott books were classics either - they were both just popular series
of books.

I don't think that's true -- the Elsie books were the kind of thing that
libraries started not buying early in the century because they weren't
considered to be of any literary value, while I don't know of any public
library that would refuse to hold Alcott. Certainly the Elsie books sold like
crazy, I have no doubt of that, but they were also pretty widely regarded as
sentimental pap.

My mom is now 95 and she's from the early century. Libraries also
refused to buy the Oz books.

In any case, there were many books written about that time which had a
very religious themes. The Pollyanna books were very heavily
Christian. That was the basic underlying theme of those books.

I don't remember reading any of classic books in school however. I
remember Shakespeare in HS. And we did have religion covered in World
History in the 10th grade. And I remember memorizing poetry
sometimes. (I wandered lonely as a cloud in the 6th grade)

But I didn't have to read The Scarlet Letter, Little Women, Anne of
Green Gables, or Little House on the Prairie or anything that I would
think of as classics) in secondary school, nor do I remember my
children doing so (although my son had to read "Lord of the Flies"
which I had never read)

grandma Rosalie