Birthing pool vs. bath

Old October 28th 04, 01:22 AM
Nan

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:35:29 +1300, "Cathy"
scribbled:

I was hoping to use a birthing pool at home (we can hire them), but I am
seriously thinking that there is no way we will be able to get one in to the
house. Has anyone laboured in the bath, and if so, what was it like? I
used the shower last time (pool wasn't filled, and no bath available in
hospital), but wanted to try being immersed this time. And our section is
not in the least bit private, so putting it in the back yard isn't an
option.

I've heard of women using plain old kiddie pools instead of the 'real'
birthing pool. Would that be an option for you?

Nan

Old October 28th 04, 03:46 AM
emilymr

The one we're using seems like it folds up pretty small -- we're picking it
up on Sunday so I'll tell you then. It's an AquaDoula (aquadoula.com) but
depending on where you are, you might not be able to get it (are you in
Britain or Aus?). I also heard about people using inflatable kids'
pools... and a friend of one of my friends had her baby in her bathtub in
a very small bathroom! So it's doable -- I'd just be worried about
running out of hot water.

Em
baby boy, due Nov. 18

Old October 28th 04, 05:10 AM
Nikki

Cathy wrote:
I was hoping to use a birthing pool at home (we can hire them), but I
am seriously thinking that there is no way we will be able to get one
in to the house. Has anyone laboured in the bath, and if so, what
was it like?

I used the whirlpool bathtub in the hospital for both of my births. I
couldn't have lived with out it - seriously. If I ever have another baby it
will be a top priority when deciding on where I birth.

--
Nikki

Old October 28th 04, 09:28 AM
Anne Rogers

I didn't want to get a birthing pool for many reasons, mainly the cost and
the reasonably high risk for a first timer of having to transfer and not
using it so it being a waste of money! As it happened I delivered at 37+4,
most rental companies deliver the birthing pool around week 38! It was in
hospital too, so it wouldn't have got used anyway. I had lots of baths in
early labour which confirmed my original thoughts, which was I would want to
lie on my side, which is not possible in the bath, I felt I needed pillows
to support me, not water. The other problem with a bath is you can't get it
deep enough to cover the bump, unless you have a huge bath! My grandparents
have a huge bath with a jacuzzi, I would love to labour there, but it's a 5
hour flight away!

Old October 29th 04, 01:31 AM
Cathy

Nan wrote:
I've heard of women using plain old kiddie pools instead of the 'real'
birthing pool. Would that be an option for you?

Nan

That was DH's suggestion, but the one we have is only a very shallow one,
and I wouldn't trust it not to leak inside. But I might put it up outside,
and while I still have clothes on, DD and I coudl play in it (if I go in to
labour during the day!).

Thanks,
Cathy

Old October 29th 04, 01:33 AM
Cathy

emilymr wrote:
The one we're using seems like it folds up pretty small -- we're
picking it up on Sunday so I'll tell you then. It's an AquaDoula
(aquadoula.com) but depending on where you are, you might not be able
to get it (are you in Britain or Aus?). I also heard about people
using inflatable kids' pools... and a friend of one of my friends had
her baby in her bathtub in a very small bathroom! So it's doable --
I'd just be worried about running out of hot water.

Em
baby boy, due Nov. 18

I'm in NZ, and the ones I can get hold of here are solid fibreglass things,
about 1.5 m in diameter. And they come with their own hot water heater
(bugger, forgotten the name!) so hot water isn't an issue. I think I'll
have to fill the bath, and try it for size, and take it from there. Must be
pregnancy brain - I hadn't actually thought of doing that till I got replies
about tusing the bath!

Cathy

Old October 29th 04, 01:35 AM
Cathy

Nikki wrote:
Cathy wrote:
I was hoping to use a birthing pool at home (we can hire them), but I
am seriously thinking that there is no way we will be able to get one
in to the house. Has anyone laboured in the bath, and if so, what
was it like?

I used the whirlpool bathtub in the hospital for both of my births. I
couldn't have lived with out it - seriously. If I ever have another
baby it will be a top priority when deciding on where I birth.

I really wanted to last time, but left my arrival at hospital too late (not
sure if that was good or bad really). I'm certainly going to use water this
time - it felt so good when I took DD for her swimming lesson this morning!

Cathy

Old October 29th 04, 01:36 AM
Cathy

Kaybee wrote:
I had a friend that used a kiddy pool that was a blow up 4 ring
pool...I have also seen other kind of kiddy pools.

Wish you best of luck
Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

Thanks - our one is too little, and if we got a bigger one, I doubt our hot
water cylinder would cope - it only does about 2 showers.

Cathy

Old October 29th 04, 01:38 AM
Cathy

Anne Rogers wrote:
I didn't want to get a birthing pool for many reasons, mainly the
cost and the reasonably high risk for a first timer of having to
transfer and not using it so it being a waste of money! As it
happened I delivered at 37+4, most rental companies deliver the
birthing pool around week 38! It was in hospital too, so it wouldn't
have got used anyway. I had lots of baths in early labour which
confirmed my original thoughts, which was I would want to lie on my
side, which is not possible in the bath, I felt I needed pillows to
support me, not water. The other problem with a bath is you can't get
it deep enough to cover the bump, unless you have a huge bath! My
grandparents have a huge bath with a jacuzzi, I would love to labour
there, but it's a 5 hour flight away!

Oh, that jacuzzi sounds good! Thanks for your thoughts - I think I'll do a
'test run' (is that possible?!) withy the bath, and see how deep I can get
it. And failing that, I might just have to set the pool up in the carport,
and try and park the car so I'm not visible from the road!

Cathy