National Geographic Program: In the Womb

Old March 7th 05, 07:36 PM

Default National Geographic Program: In the Womb

I just happened to see the last half of a program called "In the Womb"
on the National Geographic channel (U.S.) last night. It was really
interesting. They had some nice CGI of an unborn baby. It's going to
be shown again at 8 pm ET on Friday - check your local listings.

You can see a preview he

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ch...b/preview.html

Todd will be thrilled - they even mentioned at the end that birthing in
alternative positions can be beneficial, blah blah blah.

I can't tell you how annoyed I am that I was lying in bed last night,
watching this program and thinking of Todd!! It will be even worse if
he dares to cross my mind during birth!

Amy (needs a Toddectomy)

Old March 7th 05, 07:56 PM
Todd Gastaldo

AMY'S TODDECTOMY - LOL!

See below.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just happened to see the last half of a program called "In the Womb"
on the National Geographic channel (U.S.) last night. It was really
interesting. They had some nice CGI of an unborn baby. It's going to
be shown again at 8 pm ET on Friday - check your local listings.

You can see a preview he

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ch...b/preview.html

Todd will be thrilled - they even mentioned at the end that birthing in
alternative positions can be beneficial, blah blah blah.

They need to spice things up with Todd's prefatory sentence:

"Standard delivery positions (semisitting and dorsal) close the birth canal
up to 30%"

Then they can say: "alternative positions ARE beneficial" - because they
allow the birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%.

To REALLY spice things up, they need to say that OBs routinely keep birth
canals CLOSED the "extra" up to 30% when babies get stuck...

I can't tell you how annoyed I am that I was lying in bed last night,
watching this program and thinking of Todd!!

Horrors! : )

It will be even worse if
he dares to cross my mind during birth!

Count on it. : )

(Just kidding - I will make sure I am NOT available for "channeling" during
your birth - just give me a heads-up - I will go to Apizza Scholls and have
a sausage pizza with an Old Rasputin stout. : )

Amy (needs a Toddectomy)

LOL!

I do hope your birth goes well, Amy.

A brand new little one inside every pregnant woman.

Amazing.

Todd

Old March 7th 05, 08:40 PM

Todd Gastaldo wrote:
AMY'S TODDECTOMY - LOL!

Glad you took it in the spirit I intended...

Todd will be thrilled - they even mentioned at the end that

birthing in
alternative positions can be beneficial, blah blah blah.

They need to spice things up with Todd's prefatory sentence:

"Standard delivery positions (semisitting and dorsal) close the birth

canal
up to 30%"

Then they can say: "alternative positions ARE beneficial" - because

they
allow the birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%.

To REALLY spice things up, they need to say that OBs routinely keep

birth
canals CLOSED the "extra" up to 30% when babies get stuck...

I hope you'll watch the show Friday and pay attention to the way it was
phrased. It was about 11:45 pm, and I wasn't expecting to have to
remember anything specific, so I missed the precise phrasing. The
narrator mentioned alternative positions during the scene where the
woman's giving birth at the very end. It didn't help that I was too
busy being horrified at the noises she was making, and trying to figure
out how I'm ever going to do this, to take notes on the narration...

I can't tell you how annoyed I am that I was lying in bed last

night,
watching this program and thinking of Todd!!

Horrors! : )

My husband wasn't thrilled, either... Ha ha!

It will be even worse if
he dares to cross my mind during birth!

Count on it. : )

(Just kidding - I will make sure I am NOT available for "channeling"

during
your birth - just give me a heads-up - I will go to Apizza Scholls

and have
a sausage pizza with an Old Rasputin stout. : )

Hey, if you bring pizza, I might even let you come be a labor coach.
I've been known to do stranger things for good pizza...

Amy (needs a Toddectomy)

LOL!

I do hope your birth goes well, Amy.

Me too. After seeing the video last night (totally unexpected - we
went abruptly from lovely interior CGI shots of peaceful looking
babies, to grunting and screaming and pushing, and blood and gore...)
I'm unconvinced that I can actually do this. Birth videos should come
with a warning label: The Surgeon General reminds all pregnant women
that the viewing of this material may cause you to completely wuss out.
Viewer discretion is advised...

A brand new little one inside every pregnant woman.

Amazing.

This baby is purely theoretical. I'm remain unconvinced that this
so-called "pregnancy" isn't just a really long bout of mono, with a
touch of flu thrown in to keep things interesting...

Amy

Old March 7th 05, 09:20 PM

Richard wrote:
Amy wrote:
[ . . . ]
This baby is purely theoretical. I'm remain unconvinced that this
so-called "pregnancy" isn't just a really long bout of mono, with a
touch of flu thrown in to keep things interesting...

Amy, the speed with which the theoretical becomes real will amaze

you.

I sure hope so. Right now I feel like the victim of an elaborate hoax,
on the same order as Santa and the Easter bunny. The paranoid side of
me imagines that everyone got sick of me bitching about not being able
to get pregnant, and they all got together and decided to convince me
that I am... just to shut me up for 9 months. And I think about those
women who have had psychological pregnancies, and then I start
wondering if I haven't done this to myself... It'll be better when I
start showing and when I can feel the baby move. Should be any minute
now, I'm 16 weeks along...

Even after we knew her gender, named her, and sang and spoke to her,
our daughter remained an abstract concept until I gently placed my

two
hands above and below her head as she emerged. Suddenly there was a
real person in my arms and in my life.

Friends once asked us how she met our expectations. "Expectations?
We had none."

Richard
28 months later, still thrilled to be Micaela's dad

Awwww... You sound like a sweetie. She's lucky to be your daughter.

Amy

Old March 7th 05, 09:27 PM
Melania

Todd Gastaldo wrote:
[...]

Although it does get less theoretical when you have a strange, egg-like
protrusion from your belly just under your ribs because a knee or foot
is seeking egress - even more fun when the bump travels back and forth
across the belly . . .

8)

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Old March 7th 05, 09:33 PM
Todd Gastaldo

wrote in message
ups.com...

Todd Gastaldo wrote:
AMY'S TODDECTOMY - LOL!

Glad you took it in the spirit I intended...

It was funny! LOL!

Todd will be thrilled - they even mentioned at the end that

birthing in
alternative positions can be beneficial, blah blah blah.

They need to spice things up with Todd's prefatory sentence:

"Standard delivery positions (semisitting and dorsal) close the birth

canal
up to 30%"

Then they can say: "alternative positions ARE beneficial" - because

they
allow the birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%.

To REALLY spice things up, they need to say that OBs routinely keep

birth
canals CLOSED the "extra" up to 30% when babies get stuck...

I hope you'll watch the show Friday and pay attention to the way it was
phrased.

I don't have a TV - but 8pm Eastern sounds like 5pm Pacific - so I will be
able to stop in at a local business that has a TV.

It was about 11:45 pm, and I wasn't expecting to have to
remember anything specific, so I missed the precise phrasing. The
narrator mentioned alternative positions during the scene where the
woman's giving birth at the very end. It didn't help that I was too
busy being horrified at the noises she was making, and trying to figure
out how I'm ever going to do this, to take notes on the narration...

Hmmm... You must be referring to "vocalizations" - LOL!

I think women should be able to cut loose and yell, scream - whatever - if
they feel like it.

I can't tell you how annoyed I am that I was lying in bed last

night,
watching this program and thinking of Todd!!

Horrors! : )

My husband wasn't thrilled, either... Ha ha!

Sorry. : )

It will be even worse if
he dares to cross my mind during birth!

Count on it. : )

(Just kidding - I will make sure I am NOT available for "channeling"

during
your birth - just give me a heads-up - I will go to Apizza Scholls

and have
a sausage pizza with an Old Rasputin stout. : )

Hey, if you bring pizza, I might even let you come be a labor coach.
I've been known to do stranger things for good pizza...

Hmmm... Good pizza?

I may as well do another commercial here about Apizza Scholls - everyone
should go if they visit Portland - assuming they like pizza.

Apizza Scholls has a newspaper article posted about a guy who wrote
"American Pie" - a book about pizza.

The author specifically mentions Apizza Scholls pizza (back when it was
Scholls Public House pizza).

He says there are only two kinds of pizza - good and very good.

I disagree - I have had some BAD pizza.

Apizza Scholls is GREAT pizza - voted Portland's best last year - which
flooded them with so much business - neighbors complained about the parking
mess - and they had to move - WAAAY far away - to another county - to their
current location at about 50th and Hawthorne...

It's thin crust only - and some people don't like thin crust.

But many people find it to be great pizza.

Plus, I just like the people at Apizza Scholls.

Anyway Amy, I suspect that if I could somehow transport you a piece of
fresh-out-of-the-oven Apizza Scholls pizza - you might at least consider me
for - like - second back-up labor coach - LOL!

Amy (needs a Toddectomy)

LOL!

I do hope your birth goes well, Amy.

Me too. After seeing the video last night (totally unexpected - we
went abruptly from lovely interior CGI shots of peaceful looking
babies, to grunting and screaming and pushing, and blood and gore...)
I'm unconvinced that I can actually do this. Birth videos should come
with a warning label: The Surgeon General reminds all pregnant women
that the viewing of this material may cause you to completely wuss out.
Viewer discretion is advised...

I must admit, as a male who has observed a couple of comparatively tame
births, I am truly amazed that some women do this REPEATEDLY.

That's life though - literally. : )

A brand new little one inside every pregnant woman.

Amazing.

This baby is purely theoretical. I'm remain unconvinced that this
so-called "pregnancy" isn't just a really long bout of mono, with a
touch of flu thrown in to keep things interesting...

Amy

I liked Richard's comment. I myself remember feeling the kicks and all
that - but that was NOTHING.

Suddenly, a brand new little being.

There's nothing like that first meeting.

Todd

Old March 7th 05, 10:17 PM
NotMyRealName

It didn't help that I was too
busy being horrified at the noises she was making, and trying to figure
out how I'm ever going to do this, to take notes on the narration...

IMO, your best bet for "how to do this" is to have some possible ideas in
mind, but when you're actually in labor, don't think too much about it.
Just do what comes naturally -- if it feels natural to moan or yell, go for
it, and if it doesn't, don't. During my first labor, I hadn't thought
moaning through contractions would feel good or be helpful, and yet it was.
So I assumed I'd do the same for my second labor. And that time, breathing
through contractions felt a lot more natural and more helpful than moaning,
so I didn't moan much during the contractions. You never know.

And at the time, you may not notice the blood and "gore" too much. If you
do, don't look.

--
-Sara
Mommy to DD, 3

Old March 7th 05, 10:24 PM
Ericka Kammerer

NotMyRealName wrote:

IMO, your best bet for "how to do this" is to have some possible ideas in
mind, but when you're actually in labor, don't think too much about it.
Just do what comes naturally -- if it feels natural to moan or yell, go for
it, and if it doesn't, don't. During my first labor, I hadn't thought
moaning through contractions would feel good or be helpful, and yet it was.
So I assumed I'd do the same for my second labor. And that time, breathing
through contractions felt a lot more natural and more helpful than moaning,
so I didn't moan much during the contractions. You never know.

And at the time, you may not notice the blood and "gore" too much. If you
do, don't look.

Absolutely. I think a lot of people assume that the noises
some women make in labor are the result of being in excruciating
pain. Much of the time, they're not! They just feel like the
thing to do at the time, and sometimes they actually help.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 7th 05, 10:35 PM
Welches

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
NotMyRealName wrote:

IMO, your best bet for "how to do this" is to have some possible ideas in
mind, but when you're actually in labor, don't think too much about it.
Just do what comes naturally -- if it feels natural to moan or yell, go
for it, and if it doesn't, don't. During my first labor, I hadn't
thought moaning through contractions would feel good or be helpful, and
yet it was. So I assumed I'd do the same for my second labor. And that
time, breathing through contractions felt a lot more natural and more
helpful than moaning, so I didn't moan much during the contractions. You
never know.

And at the time, you may not notice the blood and "gore" too much. If
you do, don't look.

Absolutely. I think a lot of people assume that the noises
some women make in labor are the result of being in excruciating
pain. Much of the time, they're not!

And sometimes they are.... sorry, Ericka for interrupting you! :-P
Debbie

Old March 8th 05, 12:42 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Welches wrote:

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message

Absolutely. I think a lot of people assume that the noises
some women make in labor are the result of being in excruciating
pain. Much of the time, they're not!

And sometimes they are.... sorry, Ericka for interrupting you! :-P

Sure--just making the point that making lots of noise
is neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for indicating
unbearable pain ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka