carrier & sling

Old May 19th 04, 12:28 PM
Stormlady

Default carrier & sling

The snugli brand actually makes a carrier that is both a carrier type and a
sling type. It is convertable. Just an idea so you didn't have to buy the
two different types. I don't know anything about how good it is or
anything, but I saw it for sale a week ago at Sears. I am planning to get
one like that when the time comes.

"Angela Schepers" wrote in message
news8vqc.31574$6f5.2986582@attbi_s54...
Well, I sent DH out to go buy me both a carrier and a sling today. I'm
not sure which one Quinn will prefer so that's why I'm going with both.
I can't get Quinn to lay down by himself and sleep during the day for
the most part though he'll sleep if he's laying on my chest or if I'm
holding him. He seems to lie down in his crib a little better at night.
If I try and let him go to sleep by himself he'll cry inconsolably for
as long as I let him lie there. That's not conducive to having time or
mobility to do laundry, wash dishes, wash bottles, fix lunch, pump
breast milk, etc. SO, we're going to try this out. I'm about ready to
go bonkers if I don't get a little more mobility back and am getting a
little desperate so lets just pray that this works out for the both of
us. I think we're going to try the most inexpensive items to start out
with and work our way up if need be. We're starting out with a Snugli
classic carrier and a NOJO sling. The reviews I found were generally
good for both. Wish me and what's remaining of my sanity luck! I think
I'll feel much better if Quinn takes well to either one!

Angela
Quinn Alexander 5/07/04

P.S. He did really well sleeping through the night last night. We even
had to wake him up to make him eat at one point. I didn't want him to
sleep past 4-4.5 hours straight without eating... it just seemed like
too long to me.

Old May 19th 04, 01:54 PM
Em

"HollyLewis" wrote in message
I think we're going to try the most inexpensive items to start out
with and work our way up if need be. We're starting out with a

Snugli
classic carrier and a NOJO sling. The reviews I found were generally
good for both. Wish me and what's remaining of my sanity luck! I

think
I'll feel much better if Quinn takes well to either one!

Angela
Quinn Alexander 5/07/04

I wish you luck, but if it turns out that either or both of those are

not
comfortable, don't hesitate to return them and get something else.

I'm
surprised that you found good reviews of either, in fact, because I've

never
heard anything but complaints about both. For a front carrier, the

Baby Bjorn
really *is* enough better than a Snugli to justify its price, and you

can pick
up used ones in good condition for $30 or so. For a sling, the Nojo

is
possibly the most despised brand out there; although it does work

pretty well
for some people, most moms find it to be too large, too difficult to

adjust,
and a bit too narrow for baby's security. I would recommend taking a

look at
Kangaroo Korner's pouches and slings instead (www.kangarookorner.com),

since
they offer several different types at reasonable prices ($50ish).

There are
other good brands that cost less, too; check out the reviews at
thebabywearer.com

I forgot in my answer recommending a sling, that she was buying a Nojo.
I have a Maya Wrap (www.mayawrap.com). That is the sling my glowing
sling comments were based on :-)

--
Em
mama to L-baby, almost 8 months old!

Old May 19th 04, 04:01 PM
Luna

"Stormlady" don't@ email.me wrote in message
The snugli brand actually makes a carrier that is both a carrier type and

sling type. It is convertable. Just an idea so you didn't have to buy

the
two different types. I don't know anything about how good it is or
anything, but I saw it for sale a week ago at Sears. I am planning to get
one like that when the time comes.

When the time comes, there are really *much* better carriers out there.
Especially if you're going to be using any carrier for hours a day, for
years - it's worth $50 to get one that will be comfortable for you and your
baby. Check out www.thebabywearer.com. Carriers like the Snugli and Bjorn
are definitely not the greatest thing for proper hip development . . try a
Maya Wrap or a Kozy instead. But all things considered, any carrier is
better than shuttling a babe around in a bucket/stroller/etc.
Hannah

Old May 19th 04, 11:10 PM
Stormlady

"Luna" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

The snugli that I was looking at was $80, the convertible one. The problem
is that in Newfoundland where I live, you can get Snugli carriers and I
think I saw a fisher price carrier once, but that was only $25 so I am
guessing not very good. And Once I saw a baby bjorn, but it was huge and
$200. I really don't think it was for newborns, more like toddler age.

Maya wrap or Kozy are definately not available here and I am sure that to
get it shipped in would be more than I could afford. There is just not
really much selection here for baby products. Only a few stores, Sears,
toys R us, Wal mart, Zellers. I think that is about it besides used places.

Old May 20th 04, 05:25 AM
HollyLewis

The snugli that I was looking at was $80, the convertible one. The problem
is that in Newfoundland where I live, you can get Snugli carriers and I
think I saw a fisher price carrier once, but that was only $25 so I am
guessing not very good. And Once I saw a baby bjorn, but it was huge and
$200. I really don't think it was for newborns, more like toddler age.

Maya wrap or Kozy are definately not available here and I am sure that to
get it shipped in would be more than I could afford. There is just not
really much selection here for baby products. Only a few stores, Sears,
toys R us, Wal mart, Zellers. I think that is about it besides used places.

There are many small businesses based in Canada which make and/or sell slings
and other carriers online. I would think that would your best source of a good
product for a reasonable price. You can find a list of Canadian suppliers at
thebabywearer.com

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old May 28th 04, 09:18 AM
Jenrose

The snugli that I was looking at was $80, the convertible one. The

problem
is that in Newfoundland where I live, you can get Snugli carriers and I
think I saw a fisher price carrier once, but that was only $25 so I am
guessing not very good. And Once I saw a baby bjorn, but it was huge and
$200. I really don't think it was for newborns, more like toddler age.

Maya wrap or Kozy are definately not available here and I am sure that to
get it shipped in would be more than I could afford. There is just not
really much selection here for baby products. Only a few stores, Sears,
toys R us, Wal mart, Zellers. I think that is about it besides used

places.

Melanie of www.pookababy.com is in Toronto and carries a wide range of
carriers.

www.midwiferytoday.com ships internationally--Canadian price for a pair of
slings plus shipping isn't bad compared to a bjorn and will last much longer
than a Snuggli.

www.kangarookorner.com makes some outstanding slings--the adjustable pouches
are some of the most idiot-proof carriers I've ever seen and extremely
comfortable/versatile for a range of ages.

Nojo and Snugli are two of my least favorite slings on the market.

Jenrose

sling question toypup General 1 November 13th 03 07:33 PM
sling question for parents of twins (x-posted) Hope General 7 November 13th 03 03:44 AM
RECALL: Wal-Mart Kids Sling Chair Truffles General 0 July 31st 03 10:59 PM
RECALL: Wal-Mart Kids Sling Chair Truffles Pregnancy 0 July 31st 03 10:59 PM
Novel use for a baby sling, DONA conference Jenrose Pregnancy 1 July 30th 03 02:30 AM