Newborn feeding

Old May 26th 04, 03:52 AM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

Default Newborn feeding

Yes, another in the eight zillion threads on this subject!
But I'd appreciate any wisdom - Google didn't get me anywhere.

Emily hasn't been able to latch. Lactation consultant #1 says this is
because she's "slightly" tongue-tied, and my nipples are a little
inverted. She recommends we keep trying; but if we don't get anything into
her in 24 hours, we make sure she gets fed (i.e., supplement with formula).
Lactation consultant #2 says Emily isn't tongu-tied if she can get her tongue
over her gums (she can), I should pump to make sure my supply gets
going (and to help pull my nipples forward) and we should give Emily anything
we get off of a finger.

We went ahead and rented a hospital-grade pump, and have been getting what
we can into Emily; but it hast been much (probably less than an ounce). Ped
appointment is tomorrow at 2:00, which is 36 hours after her birth.

Is it harming her, being so hungry for so long? Should we give in to the
siren call of formula? I know we'd be dooming ourselves to bottles; but
given that she's had nothing but frustration at the nipple so far, maybe
we're already there.

TIA for any advice!
Liz

--

"No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and
spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable - and we believe they
Old May 26th 04, 03:55 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Elizabeth H Bonesteel wrote:
Yes, another in the eight zillion threads on this subject!
But I'd appreciate any wisdom - Google didn't get me anywhere.

Try posting over at misc.kids.breastfeeding; you'll probably get lots of
wisdom there.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread; substitute mailbolt

Old May 26th 04, 05:15 AM
Leslie

Liz,

Even if you feel the need to supplement with formula, don't use a bottle. Use
a syringe or a finger feeder while you are getting that latch worked out.
Plenty of women have latching problems at the beginning--it iw way too soon to
give up hope yet! Please come over to mkb for more advice.

Leslie
Old May 26th 04, 05:42 AM
Jamie Clark

I think the best piece of advice about breastfeeding I've ever heard, is
something that I just read here this past week.

Remember, your baby's belly is only the size of a thimble -- an ounce is
plenty. The more she sucks, the more you'll make, and your supply and her
tummy will grow together.

Keep up the good work, and don't listen to the siren song of formula! Keep
that second lactation consultant close by, and say "so long" to the first
one!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

Old May 26th 04, 06:20 AM
A&G&K

"Elizabeth H Bonesteel" wrote in message
[...]

Things I can think of right now....

1) Larry has some good info on inverted nipples ... google Larry McMahon's
posts on the topic or send an FAO.
2) As for feeding - my milk didn't come in for the first 3 days and I
despaired of ever being able to latch DD on by myself (ie without the help
of a midwife) for at least a week (we both got the hang of it eventually
though
3) On ounce sounds like plenty to me ... remember they have tiny little
tummies.
4) Pump what you can (it should help stimulate supply). Don't use bottles
though.
5) Post this q to mkb .. lots more help over there.
6) I keep coming back to the fact that you only had her *yesterday*. I
don't think DD woke for more than about 3-4 feeds in the first 24 hours. I
don't think she was getting much either, but it did help stimulate my supply
to kick in. Don't despair over the latch and don't necessarily cave in to
the formula yet. Just keep trying to feed her as often as she wants.
7) Remember, a lot of us had trouble with bf in the early days. For me,
persistence was the key.
8) Congratulations

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old May 26th 04, 11:50 AM
Donna

"Elizabeth H Bonesteel" wrote in message
Yes, another in the eight zillion threads on this subject!
But I'd appreciate any wisdom - Google didn't get me anywhere.

Emily hasn't been able to latch.

Hey, you had your baby! I missed the notification. Congratulations,
Liz!!!!

I can't answer your questions, particularly given that you have two
lactation consultants with differing opinions. I suppose what I'd do in
your situation is, if I couldn't get the baby to latch, I'd try to get her
fed the best way I could - by either pumping and feeding breastmilk in a
bottle, or by formula feeding. If you had your heart set on nursing, that's
sad, but it isn't the end of the world.

I wish I had better advice for you. I'm hoping someone here will be able to
solve your problem.

When did she arrive?

Donna

Old May 26th 04, 11:54 AM
Donna

"Elizabeth H Bonesteel" wrote in message
Yes, another in the eight zillion threads on this subject!
But I'd appreciate any wisdom - Google didn't get me anywhere.

Emily hasn't been able to latch. Lactation consultant #1 says this is
because she's "slightly" tongue-tied, and my nipples are a little
inverted. She recommends we keep trying; but if we don't get anything

into
her in 24 hours, we make sure she gets fed (i.e., supplement with

formula).
Lactation consultant #2 says Emily isn't tongu-tied if she can get her

tongue
over her gums (she can), I should pump to make sure my supply gets
going (and to help pull my nipples forward) and we should give Emily

anything
we get off of a finger.

Ok, I just read that you just had the baby yesterday. That changes my
advice slightly. My own milk took three days to come in - so you have
some time. Babies don't arrive hungry - if you can pump any colostrum and
get it into her, that would be good. In the time between now, and when your
milk comes in, get all the help with your latch you can from lactation
consultants, and see if you can fix the latch problem. I think you still
have a couple of days before you need to start worrying about getting food
in her.

How stressful! Let us know how it goes!

Donna

Old May 26th 04, 01:41 PM
Alissa

[...]

Your milk hasn't had time to come in yet ! I'd pump and give her as much

as you can and see what the Dr says tomorrow. How are you giving her the
milk you are pumping??????If he says she needs some formula ,Your not doomed
to bottles, it may be you need to give her some now if she won't attach but
it doesn't mean you will have to for long...just keep pumping 3 hourly....I
am assuming your not in hospital or still have access to midwives etc to
help her learn to attach....

here's what happened to me.....
My DD couldn't latch for the first 6 weeks, similar reasons, I pumped and
pumped ( and put all I could in a bottle and made up rest of her feeds with
the formula, after 2 weeks I was getting just enough milk to stop having to
use formula) and even ended up taking motilium to increase my milk supply at
5 weeks because she wanted it fast since she was used to the bottle( oh boy
did I have a good supply then)....anyway it was a bit of a long slug but at
6 weeks she was fully breast fed.
I am sure other may have advise on how to get by without using bottles or
formula,this is just how I managed my problem, I just want to say if you do
give some it doesn't mean the end of breast feeding....
good luck and hang in there it's early days..
Alissa

Old May 26th 04, 02:08 PM
Mary W.

Elizabeth H Bonesteel wrote:

Yes, another in the eight zillion threads on this subject!
But I'd appreciate any wisdom - Google didn't get me anywhere.

Emily hasn't been able to latch. Lactation consultant #1 says this is
because she's "slightly" tongue-tied, and my nipples are a little
inverted. She recommends we keep trying; but if we don't get anything into
her in 24 hours, we make sure she gets fed (i.e., supplement with formula).
Lactation consultant #2 says Emily isn't tongu-tied if she can get her tongue
over her gums (she can), I should pump to make sure my supply gets
going (and to help pull my nipples forward) and we should give Emily anything
we get off of a finger.

My best advice is to not use a bottle if you need to supplement. Your
baby is still very new and breastfeeding takes some learning on both
sides. Pump as you can, pump right before nursing to try to draw your
nipples out. Feed Emily any colostrum you can get (by eyedropper
or syringe). Colostrum is full of all the good stuff she needs. Your milk
should come in on within 4-5 days. Doctors don't usually panic
until baby has lost 10% of its birthweight. Keep an eye on output.
IIRC, for the first few days, you should have the number of
wet/poopy diapers that Emily is days old. So on day 2 you should
have 2, on day 3 you should have 3.

You may want to see a third LC. FWIW, the hospital LC's gave
me some really bad advice. A private lactation consultant spent
2 hours with us when DD was ~10 days old and gave me concrete
suggestions on how to get her to latch. If you continue to have
trouble latching she may suggest a supplemental nursing system
or nipplie shields to help get Emily on.

Best of luck!

Mary

Old May 26th 04, 03:51 PM
Donna

"Mary W." wrote in message
Doctors don't usually panic
until baby has lost 10% of its birthweight.

What is the norm for newborn weightloss? I thought it was normal for a baby
to lose 10% of it's birthweight right after birth, but I might be
mis-remembering. Can anyone remind me?

Donna