hair falling out

Old May 26th 04, 08:40 PM
Rupert

Default hair falling out

I understand it is sometimes normal for women to lose hair while
nursing, even when taking plenty of vitamins. Anyone here ever
experienced this? How long does it last? Does it grow back?
Old May 26th 04, 08:44 PM
Circe

Rupert wrote:
I understand it is sometimes normal for women to lose hair while
nursing, even when taking plenty of vitamins. Anyone here ever
experienced this? How long does it last? Does it grow back?

It isn't that your hair falls out because you're nursing. It's because,
while you're pregnant, you tend not to lose hair you would normally lose.
This means, post-partum, you shed more hair than you normally would because
you are losing not only the hair that you would normally lose, but also the
hair you should have lose while you were pregnant, but didn't. Generally
speaking, it is a non-issue and you don't lose so much hair that you run the
risk of going bald, nor do you need to grow back more hair to make up for
the loss.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old May 26th 04, 08:51 PM
Welches

Circe wrote in message
Rupert wrote:
I understand it is sometimes normal for women to lose hair while
nursing, even when taking plenty of vitamins. Anyone here ever
experienced this? How long does it last? Does it grow back?

It isn't that your hair falls out because you're nursing. It's because,
while you're pregnant, you tend not to lose hair you would normally lose.
This means, post-partum, you shed more hair than you normally would

because
you are losing not only the hair that you would normally lose, but also

the
hair you should have lose while you were pregnant, but didn't. Generally
speaking, it is a non-issue and you don't lose so much hair that you run

the
risk of going bald, nor do you need to grow back more hair to make up for
the loss.

But you may lose enough hair to break your mil's hoover. ;-P
Debbie

Old May 26th 04, 09:06 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:40:13 -0700, Rupert wrote:

I understand it is sometimes normal for women to lose hair while
nursing, even when taking plenty of vitamins. Anyone here ever
experienced this? How long does it last? Does it grow back?

It's not so much hair you loose, but hairs you gained while pregnant
which you are shedding. Many pregnant women will notice their hair is
thicker, and all these extra hairs will fall out after the baby is born.
That can last several months, sometimes up to a year.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old May 26th 04, 11:24 PM
Cheryl S.

"Rupert" wrote in message
om...
I understand it is sometimes normal for women to lose hair while
nursing, even when taking plenty of vitamins. Anyone here ever
experienced this? How long does it last? Does it grow back?

It is normal to lose hair after having a baby whether you nurse or not,
whether you take vitamins or not. Your hair falls out slower than
normal while pregnant so then after the birth, it just catches up on all
that shedding all at once. You're not losing any *more* hair than you
would have, you're just losing it over a shorter amount of time so it
seems like a lot, especially if your hair is long. For long hair, keep
it braided most of the time, that way it doesn't fall out all over the
house all day, just in the bathroom when you wash it and brush it out.
Makes clean up easier and you don't end up with hair all over everything
that touches the floor (such as, the baby). eeeww. ;-)
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 8 months

Old May 26th 04, 11:55 PM
Larry McMahan

Rupert writes:
: I understand it is sometimes normal for women to lose hair while
: nursing, even when taking plenty of vitamins. Anyone here ever
: experienced this? How long does it last? Does it grow back?

Actually you have it backwards. Women's hair grows thicker during
pregnancy, and falls out again after the pregnancy terminates.
The solution is to get pregnant again, but it only works for 9
months.

:-)
Larry
Old May 27th 04, 03:17 AM
A&G&K

Rupert wrote:
[...]

LOL - DD and I both shed out hair at the same time (and her newborn hair was
really long and thick - she really did have more hair than most babies I've
seen). Luckily our vacuum didn't break but there was sure a lot of it.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old May 27th 04, 02:50 PM
Rupert

Rupert wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the replies. This is not what my wife is seeing- her
haid is getting thin- thinner than before she was pregnant, which is
why she is worried.
Old May 27th 04, 03:20 PM
Welches

Rupert wrote in message
om...

Rupert wrote:
[...]

Do you think it's getting thin? I was convinced with #1 that so much had
come out (my hair was down to my waist so it seemed loads) that I was
getting bald patches. As it also felt thinner (partually because it was
winter and colder, partually because it was thinner than the pregnant state)
I felt as though I was losing too much.
I lost loads of hair for 6 months and it didn't stop falling out until about
12 months.
Debbie

Old May 27th 04, 04:37 PM
Circe

Rupert wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. This is not what my wife is seeing- her
haid is getting thin- thinner than before she was pregnant, which is
why she is worried.

If that is indeed the case and it is not just a *perception* that she is
losing so much hair that it must be getting thinner, then I would suspect a
thyroid problem (not an uncommon condition to develop postpartum). She
should see her doctor, report the excessive hair loss, and request follow-up
testing.

Post-Partum Hair Loss Sam Pregnancy 7 April 1st 04 01:37 PM
12 month old pinches and pulls hair! help! Hope General 6 December 17th 03 05:53 PM
Anyone else losing hair? Shelly Pregnancy 11 October 27th 03 01:05 AM
who colored their hair? Karen P General 13 August 8th 03 03:43 AM
who colored their hair? Karen P Pregnancy 6 August 6th 03 06:20 AM