Mom Leaves Baby in Hot Car-New Yorkers Get Involved

Old June 19th 07, 10:05 PM posted to alt.true-crime,k12.chat.teacher,misc.kids
nimue

Default Mom Leaves Baby in Hot Car-New Yorkers Get Involved

This could have been a tragedy -- and how freaking stupid is this woman?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06192007...iams_james.htm

BRAIN-FRIED MOM IN HOT WATER
By TATIANA DELIGIANNAKIS and BRIGITTE WILLIAMS-JAMES

June 19, 2007 -- A Brooklyn mom sauntered into a Home Depot yesterday to go
shopping - and left her baby strapped in the car outside in the sweltering
heat, authorities said.
Stunned passers-by spotted Miranda Henry, 2, sweating as she slept in the
back of her mom's locked Subaru - which had its two back windows only
slightly cracked - around 1:30 p.m. in the parking lot of the Hamilton
Avenue store in Sunset Park.

They frantically phoned 911, police and witnesses said.

As mom-of-three Anna Henry, 43, exited the store with two workers behind her
pushing a dolly laden with her purchase - Sheetrock to redo a bathroom - she
appeared shocked when she spotted cops and ESU workers jimmying open a door
to her locked car and taking out the baby, witnesses said. "What's going on?
That's my baby," said the clueless mom, who sported shorts, a tank top and
sandals, according to witnesses.

Henry - who lives with her husband and children in a swank brownstone on
Seventh Street in yuppie Park Slope - then grew indignant as she reached for
the chubby-cheeked child but was blocked by cops, onlookers said.

"Give me my baby! Give me my baby!" she said, according to witnesses.

But an irked cop refused to budge. "No, we're taking care of the kid now,"
he said.

Henry was allowed to travel in an ambulance with her daughter to Lutheran
Hospital, where the baby was checked out and deemed OK, police said.

The mother told cops she had left the child in the car "only a few minutes,"
authorities said. The vehicle was in a space shaded by the upper level of
the parking lot, and the two windows were each cracked open about an inch,
police said.

Temperatures in the area reached the low to mid-80s yesterday.

"If [the baby] was in there another half-hour . . . ," one investigator
said, shaking his head.

Henry was charged with endangering the welfare of a child. She was being
held for arraignment.

Her mother-in-law, Isla Henry, 80, acknowledged to The Post that her son's
wife "doesn't like to wake up Miranda."

"She should have taken the child into the store with her," Isla Henry said.

"This is the first time something like this has happened," the grandmother
insisted. "She is the most caring, concerned parent I've come across."

Henry's husband, Michael, brought his young daughter home from the hospital
by late afternoon and said, "She's fine."

"I shouldn't be talking to you," he added. "I have to talk to my lawyer."

Additional reporting by Larry Celona

--
nimue

"Let your freak-flag fly, and if someone doesn't get you, move on."
Drew Barrymore

Old June 20th 07, 03:25 AM posted to alt.true-crime,k12.chat.teacher,misc.kids
Bo Raxo[_2_]

On Jun 19, 2:05 pm, "nimue" wrote:

Her mother-in-law, Isla Henry, 80, acknowledged to The Post that her son's
wife "doesn't like to wake up Miranda."

Er, sounds more like her son's wife just doesn't like Miranda. I
think this woman knew she was putting the child in danger, and deep
down she just doesn't want this kid around. That's behind so many
"accidental" child deaths, when parents just, oh, look the other way
while the child drowns, falls from a height, gets run over, etc.

"She should have taken the child into the store with her," Isla Henry said.

She should go to jail for this, but she won't. She should lose
custody of all of her children for this, but she won't. She'll pay a
fine, get some half-assed probation, and buy some attorney a breakfast
nook for a renovated brownstone.

"This is the first time something like this has happened," the grandmother
insisted. "She is the most caring, concerned parent I've come across."

Wow, grandma doesn't get out much.

What's the word I'm looking for? Sheesh.

Thanks for posting it, I have a friend who is a fiend for these kinds
of stories, he thinks we should do a "Parent of the Week" web site and
publicize the worst of the worst. Let people vote on it
during busy weeks - like these hot summer months.

But I said that would be too mean.

Bwaaa haaa haaa, of course I didn't say that, everyone knows me better
than that. I'm pretty mean - though nothing compared to this nasty
excuse for a parent.

Bo Raxo

Old June 20th 07, 06:49 AM posted to alt.true-crime,k12.chat.teacher,misc.kids
xkatx

"nimue" wrote in message
[...]

Good. And so she should be, at the very, very least. Maybe she should also
be taking some parenting classes, and perhaps she just needs to be taught
what is alright and not alright - leaving a child (or a pet, even) inside of
a car is not alright, IMO.

Her mother-in-law, Isla Henry, 80, acknowledged to The Post that her son's
wife "doesn't like to wake up Miranda."

"She should have taken the child into the store with her," Isla Henry
said.

Doesn't like to wake the kid up???
There's been a few times where I've gone somewhere and had one or more kid
fall asleep. In those cases, I would wake the child up if it was vital to
go to the store or wherever we went, but there have also been a few times
where I've parked the car, turned it off, looked behind me and saw someone
was sound asleep. I have turned the car back on and gone back home in some
of these cases. The thought has never crossed my mind to just run in quick
to get what I need and leave the kids sleeping in the car. I use debit at
the pumps to buy gas more often than not to avoid leaving children asleep in
the car even to run in and pay for gas. I'm always scared that something
like a carjacking could happen with the kids in the car, even with the car
off and keys with me. You never know, and leaving the kids sleeping in the
car is not a risk I ever take.
Common sense says you either wake the kid up or you just turn around and go
back home. Quite frankly, my children are far more important than home
renovations or whatever the case may be.

"This is the first time something like this has happened," the grandmother
insisted. "She is the most caring, concerned parent I've come across."

This is the first time something like what has happened? That she got
caught leaving a child sleeping in a hot car? Well, it's about time. If
she has 2 others, and if they are older than this mentioned 2 year old, then
I am quite certain this is NOT the first time she has done this, and sadly,
it probably won't be the last time. First time being caught, I wouldn't
doubt that. She's th emost caring and concerned parent the grandmother has
come across??? Does this woman not get out much? I could be wrong, but she
probably cares more about her precious image to society than anything.

Henry's husband, Michael, brought his young daughter home from the
hospital
by late afternoon and said, "She's fine."

"I shouldn't be talking to you," he added. "I have to talk to my lawyer."

Talking to lawyers and advertising it to everyone is a sign of.... What
again? Oh, yea, nevermind.
How disgusting.

Old July 19th 07, 08:27 PM posted to alt.true-crime,k12.chat.teacher,misc.kids
Werebat

nimue wrote:
This could have been a tragedy -- and how freaking stupid is this woman?

A couple of years back I was headed back to may car from the grocery
store when I saw something similar. It was during a hot day and there
was an infant in a car seat locked in a car with all of the windows up.
I couldn't tell if the baby was alive or dead. Coincidentally, a past
neighbor who had lived downstairs from me years previous happened to be
walking by at the same time and noticed the same thing (we hadn't seen
each other in years). She waited by the car while I went to mine to get
a tire iron to smash the a window open with to get the baby out of the
car. We had no idea how long the baby had been in there.

Right after I came back with the tire iron the mother arrived with a
pack of ciggies she had gone in to buy. I felt like smashing something
else in with the tireiron then. I had a baby of my own and couldn't
imagine doing something so stupid and negligent.

- Ron ^*^

Old July 19th 07, 09:01 PM posted to alt.true-crime,k12.chat.teacher,misc.kids
nimue

Werebat wrote:
nimue wrote:
[...]

Did you say anything to the "mother"? Did you tell her how dangerous it
was? Did you call 911 and report her? Who knows how long that baby was in
there -- maybe it was in distress. People like that make me sick.

Old July 20th 07, 12:25 AM posted to alt.true-crime,k12.chat.teacher,misc.kids
Werebat

nimue wrote:
Werebat wrote:

nimue wrote:

[...]

Oh, my neighbor shouted at her and told her that the baby could have
died, and she replied that she had only gone into the store "for a few
minutes". I told her she was lucky she got back when she did because I
was about to smash her window in to get the baby out, and she got very
angry (in a defensive, knew-she'd-screwed-up way), hopped into her car,
and drove off.

I did happen to see a police officer on my way out of the lot and pulled
up to tell him what had happened, but he said that because she had left
the lot and there was no proof of what she'd done he couldn't do anything.

I'm sorry to say it but I really wish the mother had gotten to her car
just five minutes later, after I had smashed her window in, because she
looked stupid enough to have called the police on me. With my old
neighbor there to back up my story I think that would have ended poorly
for her.

- Ron ^*^

Get Involved in Baby Language Research Liz Kirk General (moderated) 0 January 6th 07 10:35 PM
Get Involved in Baby Language Research Liz Kirk General 0 January 5th 07 10:20 AM
Reading TEA LEAVES Greegor Spanking 4 July 30th 06 10:48 PM
Getting involved too much or not enough?? xkatx General 51 May 27th 06 03:42 PM
law resources for new yorkers justiceneversleeps Child Support 0 April 11th 06 06:42 PM