Road Trip with 4 Week Old - Advice Please!

Old July 27th 03, 09:10 PM
Kasey

Default Road Trip with 4 Week Old - Advice Please!

I'm beginning to think that this was a crazy idea. We're leaving on
Wednesday for a 10+ hour road trip with our 4 week old, exclusively
breastfed son. He only sleeps for a maximum of 2 - 2.5 hours at a time, so
this could make for a very long trip! We're going to break the drive up over
two days, but stopping every couple of hours to nurse could make this trip
take double the time it should. Family have been encouraging me to get a
breast pump and introduce our son to a bottle over the next few days so I
can feed him EBM during the trip so we don't have to stop as often. I'm
really torn about this...Is 4 weeks too early to introduce a bottle? Will
this have any affect on his nursing ability? I don't plan on giving him
bottles after this trip - it would only be an extreme rarity. I feel like we
just got nursing established and he's doing really great, so I'm scared to
tamper with a good thing!

Also, I have been adamant about not wanting to give him a pacifier, but am
beginning to wonder if maybe for this trip only it might be a good idea as
he does like to comfort nurse after his feedings. Making this trip with a
baby crying in agony will not only break my heart, but will make for an
excruiciating journey. Anything I can do to make the trip as comfortable as
possible for all of us!

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much!

Old July 27th 03, 11:45 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Kasey wrote:

Family have been encouraging me to get a
breast pump and introduce our son to a bottle over the next few days so I
can feed him EBM during the trip so we don't have to stop as often.

We're doing a 16-hour trip with a 10-week-old in 2 weeks.
I'm debating the same "pump and bottlefeed" versus "stop and
nurse for 30 minutes." I don't think I'd have mom give 10
hours worth of bottles at 4 weeks old, although Caterpillar
would take a bottle then. I'm not sure I want mom to give
10 hours of bottles at 10 weeks, since mom hasn't given any
bottles before.

I have been adamant about not wanting to give him a pacifier

If you haven't introduced one yet, he might not take it. If
someone will be in the back with him the whole way, and
doesn't mind being one-handed, a pinky might work as well.
But a pacifier is more convenient in the long run.

Phoebe typing one-handed, with Caterpillar stuck to the
other hand

Old July 28th 03, 02:27 AM
Larry McMahan

Kasey writes:

: I'm beginning to think that this was a crazy idea. We're leaving on
: Wednesday for a 10+ hour road trip with our 4 week old, exclusively
: breastfed son. He only sleeps for a maximum of 2 - 2.5 hours at a time, so
: this could make for a very long trip! We're going to break the drive up over
: two days, but stopping every couple of hours to nurse could make this trip
: take double the time it should.

That's only 5 hours driving a day. That should make it quite doable.

: Family have been encouraging me to get a
: breast pump and introduce our son to a bottle over the next few days so I
: can feed him EBM during the trip so we don't have to stop as often. I'm
: really torn about this...Is 4 weeks too early to introduce a bottle? Will
: this have any affect on his nursing ability? I don't plan on giving him
: bottles after this trip - it would only be an extreme rarity. I feel like we
: just got nursing established and he's doing really great, so I'm scared to
: tamper with a good thing!

I think your are right. I would NOT recommend introducing a 4 week old
to a bottle. Expecially when is is going to be stressed more by a car
trip, There could be a untoward bottle preference reactions. I would
suggest stopping and nursing more often. One good piece of news is that
giving the motion and rhythmic sound of the care, babies often sleep
longer. You might also consider sitting in the back seat with him and
leaning over the car seat. Just dont unbuckle either you or him.

: Also, I have been adamant about not wanting to give him a pacifier, but am
: beginning to wonder if maybe for this trip only it might be a good idea as
: he does like to comfort nurse after his feedings. Making this trip with a
: baby crying in agony will not only break my heart, but will make for an
: excruiciating journey. Anything I can do to make the trip as comfortable as
: possible for all of us!

I don't have good advice here except to say that I am not fond of pacifiers.
Again you might consider sitting with him, whether you lean over his seat
or not.

: Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much!

Did the best I could, :-)
Larry
Old July 28th 03, 04:55 AM
Ducky Lawyer

Kasey wrote:
I'm beginning to think that this was a crazy idea. We're leaving on
Wednesday for a 10+ hour road trip with our 4 week old, exclusively
breastfed son. He only sleeps for a maximum of 2 - 2.5 hours at a time, so
this could make for a very long trip! We're going to break the drive up over
two days, but stopping every couple of hours to nurse could make this trip
take double the time it should. Family have been encouraging me to get a
breast pump and introduce our son to a bottle over the next few days so I
can feed him EBM during the trip so we don't have to stop as often. I'm
really torn about this...

My children were much older when we went on our road trips, buyt their
sleeping times were the same (2-2.5 hrs max at a time), sp I'll jump in
he
We find that travelling int he car with our twins works best if we feed
them immediately before bedtime or naptime, and bundle them into the
car. On most of our recent big road trip (6+ hours, one way), this meant
chopping the driving up into chunks -- we drove during their morning nap
only as much as possible.
When they got hungry, we pulled over at the first convenient *safe*
place, and I nursed them in the parked car. Then we went on our
way...much easier than fussing with bottles.

Is 4 weeks too early to introduce a bottle? Will
this have any affect on his nursing ability?

You may get other answers but I can't see how putting ebm in a bottle
will help you get to your desintation faster. I'd find that giving a
bottle to a baby, especially a newborn, to be a choking hazard,
especially if they're not used to bottles. And, bottles aren't the end
all and be all of 'easy feedings', that's for sure! I'm sure there are
babies who take bottles quickly, but we find that both our babies are
much slower taking milk by bottle than by the breast -- so unless you're
=giving all the bottles in the car and you don't have to stop, I can't
see how bottles would be easier or faster....especially if the baby is
just learning to use bottles.

And, you may be right to be concerned about bottle preference, nipple
confusion,e tc., at this age. IT might be okay to introduce a bottle
this soon, but it might not -- and a road trip coudl be an inconvenient
time to have a breasfeeding problem which needs care, time and attention.

My advice? Plan your trip to allow for longer driving times between
pints, and breaks (perhaps even overnight) between your starting point
and destination. Pack food for the non-baby passengers so that you
don't have to stop if the baby's sleeping, and just plan on stopping for
the baby when he needs to nurse/be changed/stretch, etc.

At this age, you may well find that you can drive 2-3 hours at a time,
have a 30 minute nurse break, and move on. Once my girls passed the
newborn stage, they weren't sleeping at all hours and so we couldn't
really drive more than one long stretch in a day...you shoudl have
better luck with a newborn, perhaps.
HTH and...
Hope you enjoy your trip!
--Barbara

Old July 28th 03, 08:47 AM
andrea

"Kasey" wrote in message
[...]

Won't your baby sleep thru most of the driving? My son loves trips in a car
or bus, he sleeps well.

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 6

Old July 28th 03, 07:45 PM
AnnaS

Does he sleep any longer periods of time at night? If so, you could do the
drive overnight. We're planning a 10-12 hour drive with our 6 month old and
will do it all at night. He only eats 2-3 times a night, so we think this will
work better than stopping every 2 hours for him to eat during the day.

Anna

Old July 29th 03, 12:26 AM
A & L Lane

"andrea" wrote in message
"Kasey" wrote in message
[...]

Dont assume that all babies will sleep well in a car - some sleep normally,
some sleep not quite so well, some object to car travel in a very extreme
way!! Although the OP should have an idea of that already. My experience
(with 2 very bad travellers) is that it is not the fact of getting hungry
that upsets them in the car - it is being stuck in the car seat for long
periods. So the plan of feeding EBM in a bottle would have backfired big
time. The nursing stops were essential to give everyone a break - even
though it can be frustrating to stop when you're trying to get somewhere.
If it is practical, when you stop for nursing, get out of the car, sit under
a tree, lie on the grass, just have a change of environment if possible (not
always practical I realise). Driving at night might help although we dont
do that because DH doesnt doesnt feel he can drive safely when he would
normally be asleep but for some it might be a good option. Good luck
anyway - I cant imagine the time when I would volunteer for a 10 hour car
trip (not until both kids are school age maybe) .

cheers
Leah
Mum to Patrick (July 1997) and Angus (January 2002)

Old July 30th 03, 03:59 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Kasey" wrote:

I'm beginning to think that this was a crazy idea. We're leaving on
Wednesday for a 10+ hour road trip with our 4 week old, exclusively
breastfed son. He only sleeps for a maximum of 2 - 2.5 hours at a time, so
this could make for a very long trip! We're going to break the drive up over
two days, but stopping every couple of hours to nurse could make this trip
take double the time it should.

You should only drive for 2 hours before taking a break anyway. With babies,
trips do take longer. I think it's best tto just accept the fact and cope as
best you can -- though as you will only be driving for about 5 hrs/day anyway.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old July 30th 03, 07:53 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Chookie wrote:

You should only drive for 2 hours before taking a break anyway.

For the baby's sake, the driver's, or the passengers'? I
remember going on car trips as a kid, and only stopping for
gas (every 300 miles or so, so maybe 6 hours). If it were a
dire emergency, we'd stop at a rest area. If you saw the
sign and yelled loud enough.

I can't drive a 6 hour stretch, but I've never had a problem
with 4, either as a passenger or a driver. Caterpillar's
not likely to go much more than 3-4, even in the
sleep-inducing carseat, but I hate to stop every 2 hours and
wake her up.

Phoebe

Old July 30th 03, 08:06 PM
Kasey

Thanks for all the advice. We're leaving in a few hours. The longest Cooper
has ever slept is three hours and that is unusual. We'll definitely be
stopping often so he can chow down. Should be an interesting trip! Sure hope
my family appreciates the effort!

By the way, I chose not to buy a pump and will only use a pacifier as a last
resort. So, it's boobs all the way to Maine : )

Wish us luck!