need slow cooker cookbook

Old July 8th 04, 04:34 PM
glunk

Default need slow cooker cookbook

I love the idea of a slow cooker. But I do not really like my slow cooker
recipes. For one thing, I need recipes that take 10 plus hours to cook on
low. Also, I get a bit sick of stews after a while. When I DO make stews, I
will make up the recipe for 2 or 3 times the recipe, without cooking. Then I
will place the uncooked recipe in a ziplock bag and freeze it. The day
before I am going to use it, I stick in the fridge. Then the morning before,
I open the bag into the slow cooker and turn it on. If I am REALLY
motivated, I will put a loaf of bread in the bread machine.

So the crock pot is a wonderful invention. But a lot of the recipes are for
6 hours or so. And that is no good. Does anyone have a favorite crock pot
book?

Thanks

Old July 8th 04, 04:41 PM
Tori M.

why is 6 hours no good? Too long too short? My mom likes to just put a
whole chicken or roast in the crockpot and then she slow cooks it all day.
It practicly jumps off the bone by the time she eats it. I am making Chili
in my crockpot today.. homemade even with dried beans.. That takes forever
though. I had to soak the beans all last night then boil them for 2 hours..
Now i have them in the crockpot with all the ingrediants cooking away for
dinner tonight.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04
news

Old July 8th 04, 04:43 PM
glunk

"Tori M." wrote in message
why is 6 hours no good? Too long too short?

Too short. My main goal is to have dinner cooking while I am away at work.

My mom likes to just put a
whole chicken or roast in the crockpot and then she slow cooks it all day.
It practicly jumps off the bone by the time she eats it.

I found that a whole chicken cooked for 8 hours was dry, regardless of the
amount of liquid.

I am making Chili
in my crockpot today.. homemade even with dried beans.. That takes forever
though. I had to soak the beans all last night then boil them for 2

hours..
Now i have them in the crockpot with all the ingrediants cooking away for
dinner tonight.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04
news

Old July 8th 04, 04:52 PM
Tori M.

I found that a whole chicken cooked for 8 hours was dry, regardless of the
amount of liquid.

Have you tried putting it on low instead of high? Also when I cook chicken
in the crock pot I like to use vegetable broth instead of water for at least
part of the liquid.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old July 8th 04, 08:34 PM
Penny Gaines

glunk wrote in :

why is 6 hours no good?**Too*long*too*short?

Too short. My main goal is to have dinner cooking while I am away at work.

Can you get a timer plug to start cooking the meal while you are out? You
put the timer plug in the wall socket, program it to come on at a particular
time, and then plug the appliance into the timer.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old July 8th 04, 10:19 PM