CTTD (spelling test again)

Old August 24th 03, 04:28 PM
Iowacookiemom

Default CTTD (spelling test again)

I spoke too soon about 100% on Henry's first spelling test (see "In other
news...") -- Jerry privately pointed out to me that he actually missed one and
the fellow student who graded it didn't see it.

The CTTD is really a Jerry/Henry thing. Helping Henry study, Jerry decided to
try a new technique -- using silly pronounciations to highlight the way words
are spelled. Henry, who has a great sense of humor and dearly loves his Dad's
sense of humor, was giggling furiously and I think this really helped him do as
well as he did. It also had the added benefit of easing the tension of the
first spelling test (Henry dreads them) and giving Henry something to smile
privately about in class during this hectic, stressful first week in a new
chool.

One of the words was "stumble" and Jerry was pronouncing it "stumbleee." For
some reason, Henry found this absolutely hilarious. (You had to be there...)

So, there it is, on the test: stumbly

I'm not sure we'll tell him. He's so proud of the 100%, and it's only the
first week. If we see a trend in incorrect grading, we'll certainly tip off
the teacher.

I'm sure the teacher is also bemused. We had just spent the evening prior to
the test, at curriculum night, commenting to him that while Henry is a bright
kid, he struggles so mightily with spelling. Then he goes and gets a 100%.
I'm sure the teacher is shaking his head at the negativity of Henry's
parents...

-Dawn
Enough already on the spelling test, I know, but I thought this was funny.

correcting other parents' spelling Chris Himes General 29 February 5th 04 08:46 PM
Policy Assessment Announcement: TEST GROUP misc.kids.family-life just me General 0 January 28th 04 10:06 PM
Iowa test of Basic Skills 8th grade Jan Silbermann General 4 October 22nd 03 11:12 PM
for women MISS PHD General 1 October 7th 03 11:48 AM
(Cute) Ready to have kids checklist Ruthie General 2 September 19th 03 06:47 AM