Not co-sleeping

Old July 17th 03, 11:09 AM
azure

Default Not co-sleeping

"Irish Marie" wrote in message
I just wanted to take a straw poll of those that did/do and didn't/don't
co-sleep.
My dh is a barman so he always stinks of passive smoke after work, he also
smokes the occasional cigar so he sometimes smells of smoke even when not
working.
So based on that I don't think that it would be wise to co-sleep with the
baby.
S/He will be sleeping by our bed in a Moses Basket and will be very easy

hear and get to quickly.
I am just wondering about bf success rates being dependant on co-sleeping
rates?

--
Marie
Mum to DD5, DS3 and due #3 July '03

We semi co-sleep. As a newborn I'd fall asleep whilst she was nursing so
she was in our bed. She maybe spent an hour or two here and there in the
bassinette. Now she is 15 weeks old and she goes in the bassinette
somewhere between 10 and 12 for her long sleep and is back in the bed to
nurse somewhere between 4 and 7. I do my best to get her in the bassinette
after that, but sometimes I don't wake up again.

Personally I sleep better when she's in her bassinette, but poor sleep is
better than no sleep. Sleeping whilst nursing in the initial weeks was
essential. Maybe when she's a bit bigger I wont be so conscious of her in
the bed and we can do it fulltime, otherwise it's going to be a bugger
fitting something other than the bassinette in our room (I can't imagine her
sleeping in another room).

I find nursing lying down pretty uncomfortable and impossible until about 3
or 4 weeks ago. I slept reclining on pillows with her in the footy hold
propped up with pillows and latched on. Sounds a bit unsafe in description
but I had hold of her all night and she would eventually latch off and lay
her head on my stomach.

Leah

---

Old July 17th 03, 06:28 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Irish Marie wrote:

My dh is a barman so he always stinks of passive smoke after work

Allyson smokes. I have no idea how much, but I'd guess in
the vicinity of 2-3 cigarettes a day. Since I never see it
(she smokes outside, regardless of the weather), or smell it
(if I can smell her, she changes her clothes and takes a
shower), it bothers me less. And I'm willing to co-sleep
under those conditions.

Phoebe

Old July 17th 03, 07:16 PM
Irish Marie

Default Thanks Not co-sleeping

Thanks for all your replies on this.
I am going to have to figure a way around getting some partial co-sleeping
in during the first few weeks (namely during dh's time off work he will be
banned from smoking cigars, if he does he'll have to bed down on the
uncomfortable sofa!!)
After that I'll co-sleep until he gets in from work.
He does change his clothes but I cannot expect him to shower so late at
night 3/4am, besides the shower is in the ensuite so would wake me and the
baby up and most likely the other 2 children also.
It is reassuring to know that a lot of you have had success with bf
regardless of full co-sleeping.
Thanks again

Old July 18th 03, 04:28 AM
Laurie

Irish Marie wrote in message ...
I just wanted to take a straw poll of those that did/do and didn't/don't
co-sleep.
My dh is a barman so he always stinks of passive smoke after work, he also
smokes the occasional cigar so he sometimes smells of smoke even when not
working.
So based on that I don't think that it would be wise to co-sleep with the
baby.
S/He will be sleeping by our bed in a Moses Basket and will be very easy to
hear and get to quickly.
I am just wondering about bf success rates being dependant on co-sleeping
rates?

At the moment, I do cosleep but in a different room than my husband! I hate
not sleeping with him but it's only a short time and it's so much easier for
me to sleep with the baby for now. DH REALLY hates cosleeping so this is
our option. I do find that it makes bfding so much easier. I also do at
times put him in his bassinet for the first part of the night until he wakes
up. (I'll be back with my husband soon. This is temporary!)

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 13 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

Old February 26th 04, 02:59 PM

Irish Marie wrote:
I just wanted to take a straw poll of those that did/do and didn't/don't
co-sleep.
My dh is a barman so he always stinks of passive smoke after work, he also
smokes the occasional cigar so he sometimes smells of smoke even when not
working.
So based on that I don't think that it would be wise to co-sleep with the
baby.
S/He will be sleeping by our bed in a Moses Basket and will be very easy to
hear and get to quickly.
I am just wondering about bf success rates being dependant on co-sleeping
rates?

I don't know if anyone has done such a study. Everyone has a different
experience with this. My wife co-slept with our son and it worked
to her advantage for a few weeks.

Then he built a REALLY strong sleep association with her which wrecked
his daytime naps and he started crawling off the bed. We had baby
proofed the bed (firm mattress, in the corner of the room, on the
floor etc..) but he's got a mind of his own.

We struggled with a 1,000 different approaches (everything but
CIO) read a million different books and somehow managed to get
things improved.

We came up with our own crazy solution to help him
sleep better. We put him in his car seat & the car seat in the
crib. It didn't take much to get him used to this but it's
not easy picking up a car seat with a 8 month old baby and
rocking it back to sleep.

BTW, I'm saying this because I believe that co-sleeping negatively
effected his sleep patterns. He associated sleep with a continuation
of "mommy play time". Once co-sleeping ended he became a better
sleeper.

Then we broke down his night feedings from 4 to 2 and 2 to 1 and
have left it at 1 (he is 15months).

Once he was done with co-sleeping he started napping regularly
during the day and he gets drowsy the second we put him in the
crib.

I've learned that children are given their own personality and
co-sleeping works well with some and not with others.

I'd like to say that the next time we'll do things differently
but I don't really know. I think we'll try co-sleeping for the
1st 10 weeks and then it's the crib/bassinet all the way.

Who knows. All I know is that it can seem like an eternity when
dealing with these problems and it's very stressful. I wish
you the best of luck and hope you don't come across the stumbling
blocks we did.