FAO Circe / Living wage at Kohl's?

Old November 18th 03, 01:03 AM
HollyLewis

Default FAO Circe / Living wage at Kohl's?

For good clothing look for consignment resale shops in your area. You
can get the discount prices, but you get much better clothing.

Yeah, but I can't get the convenience. There are plenty of clothing
consignment shops in my area, but they have much more limited hours than
Mervyn's does, and it's much harder to find things in my size -- at all, let
along things I like or that are flattering.

I do buy a lot of DS' clothes at consignment stores, since it's much easier to
find the right size.

We all make some compromises sometimes, I think. But at least I've never set
foot in a WalMart. ;-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old November 18th 03, 03:21 PM
iphigenia

HollyLewis wrote:

Of course, it's relatively easy to find individual cleaners in my
area; I suppose that might not be true everywhere.

Universities/colleges are a good place to look; that's what my uni-student
sister is doing for a little extra money.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old November 18th 03, 04:11 PM
Penny Gaines

Tom Enright wrote in :
[snip]
If you are interested in helping those who earn low wages, you are better
off shopping at stores which do not have or follow a living wage policy.
The living wage and, most especially, the minimum wage are artificial
impediments which slow the economy, cause economic inefficiencies and
encourage discrimination.

'Fair Trade Coffee' is a good example of the failure of such ideas. By
overpaying for a commodity businesses encouraged more individuals to
enter the market. Now those S. American coffee growers/laborers are
facing increased competition from SE Asia and other parts of the world
where growing and selling coffee was at one time cost prohibitive.

[snip]

I'd really like to know more about this: I thought Fair Trade was about
paying the farmers enough to cover the costs of coffee production and give
them a reasonable living standard of living as well. So, do you have some
URLs which back this up?

(Of course it might be the case that 'fair trade' is used differently in the
US to the UK.)

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old November 18th 03, 04:23 PM
Circe

"HollyLewis" wrote in message
For good clothing look for consignment resale shops in your area. You
can get the discount prices, but you get much better clothing.

Yeah, but I can't get the convenience. There are plenty of clothing
consignment shops in my area, but they have much more limited hours than
Mervyn's does, and it's much harder to find things in my size -- at all,

let
along things I like or that are flattering.

Yeah, I was going to post the same thing. It would take me an eternity to
find clothing in consignment shops that I like and look good in. I used to
*love* shopping in thrift stores when I was in high school and college, but
it's practically an avocation and you really have to be willing to spend a
*lot* of time. If I were a non-working mom who needed to seriously pinch
pennies, I might well do a lot of shopping for all our clothes in
consignment/resale/thrift stores. As it is, I gotta get in and get out g!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [20mo] mom)

"Rejuvinate your skin." -- Hydroderm ad

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old November 18th 03, 08:25 PM
Cheryl S.

Ericka Kammerer wrote in message
No idea at all personally, but I found this article
with a little googling. I don't know how accurate it is,
but here ya go:

http://bostonworks.boston.com/globe/...02_retail.html

Thanks, Ericka. Sounds like they do pretty well - even part time
employees have medical coverage and 401(K)s.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 7 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old November 18th 03, 10:16 PM
toto

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:23:36 -0800, "Circe" wrote:

[...]

Well, the other alternative is a good garage sale. We are lucky that
we have one in the Fall and one in the Spring here that offer
excellent possibilities. So you can go twice a year and find many
things that you can use.

Even if you don't find things for yourself, you may find things for
the children. And in fact, I have seen people buying men's suits
as well, but my husband would never be able to do that because
he is short and there are very few things that fit him right off the
rack at all.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits