Toy Stores in London

Old October 17th 03, 05:30 AM
Vera Brooks

Default Toy Stores in London

Does anyone have a favourite toy store in London?
My husband will be in the U.K. in November and hopes
to get some of his Christmas shopping done then.
Since we live in Canada, he'd like to find unusual
things that we cannot buy here. The kids range from
5-10 years.

Thanks,

Vera

--
Vera Brooks )
Old October 17th 03, 05:45 AM
GI Trekker

Does anyone have a favourite toy store in London?
My husband will be in the U.K. in November and hopes
to get some of his Christmas shopping done then.
Since we live in Canada, he'd like to find unusual
things that we cannot buy here. The kids range from
5-10 years.

I was last there in 1992, but I would suspect this place still exists. Try
BEATTIE'S. A little pricey, but they have a wide range of toys, die-cast cars,
and other superb items that would be good for the age group you mention -- um,
assuming they're boys.

BTW, a toy joke from London, based on my own personal observation. What's the
worst-selling super-hero action figure? Captain America...
Old October 17th 03, 07:22 AM
SarahH

Vera Brooks wrote:
Does anyone have a favourite toy store in London?

Hamleys ) its the Harrods of the toy world. Pricier than average but
it is huge and is so much fun. I got my dds first teddy from there. More
choice than you could ever think of. It does get very very busy close to
christmas though.

Sarah

Old October 17th 03, 07:23 AM
SarahH

GI Trekker wrote:

I was last there in 1992, but I would suspect this place still exists. Try
BEATTIE'S. A little pricey, but they have a wide range of toys, die-cast cars,
and other superb items that would be good for the age group you mention -- um,
assuming they're boys.

All the Beatties we know have closed down or been taken over by Model
Zone.

Sarah

Old October 17th 03, 11:20 AM
Sidheag McCormack

Hamley's is a tourist attraction in its own right :-)

http://www.hamleys.com

Sidheag
Old October 17th 03, 05:25 PM
Penny Gaines

Vera Brooks wrote in :

Does anyone have a favourite toy store in London?
My husband will be in the U.K. in November and hopes
to get some of his Christmas shopping done then.
Since we live in Canada, he'd like to find unusual
things that we cannot buy here. The kids range from
5-10 years.

Definately send him to Hamleys.

Aside from Hamleys, he could try Covent Garden. This is a bit of
a tourist trap (you could probably find the same things cheaper
elsewhere), and it has lots of market stalls and little
shops in a concentrated area. The Transport Museum, also in
Covent Garden, has a shop which I think he can get into without
paying the entrance fee. That has lots of transport related toys.
However he would probably need at least two hours in Covent Garden
to get his bearings and find the right shops.

Depending on how much time he has and whether he is near them anyway,
he could also go to the shop in the British Museum (it has a children's
section). Judging by the catalogue, the Science Museum would also be a
good place to go. But unless he is near them anyway (and they are in
different parts of London), they aren't worth making a special trip.

FWIW, the major airports all have lots of retail shops, and he could
probably get some toys there.

--
Penny Gaines
Old October 17th 03, 10:30 PM
GI Trekker

Hamleys ) its the Harrods of the toy world. Pricier than average but
it is huge and is so much fun. I got my dds first teddy from there. More
choice than you could ever think of. It does get very very busy close to
christmas though.

THANK YOU! I was trying to think of Hamley's as well and I couldn't remember
the name. VERY cool place. Definitely recommended.
Old October 20th 03, 05:50 PM
Amanda

"Vera Brooks" wrote in message

Does anyone have a favourite toy store in London?
My husband will be in the U.K. in November and hopes
to get some of his Christmas shopping done then.
Since we live in Canada, he'd like to find unusual
things that we cannot buy here. The kids range from
5-10 years.

Thanks,

Vera

How about trying Harrods? I didn't make it to the toy department when I was
there at the summer sales,
but I've heard it's brilliant. Expensive but brilliant.

http://www.harrods.com/category.asp?...5FGames&Page=1

Amanda
--------
Mum to Adam - Oct 1992
Lots bubs - May 1993
Stephanie - Feb 1994
Sam - Dec 1998

---

Old October 25th 03, 05:45 AM
Mousie

We took our children to Hamleys when holidaying in London a couple of years
ago - they still talk about it and it has been the subject of school
speeches etc.

Mousie