medicene advice.....hale's needed....

Old January 26th 04, 03:04 AM
little one

Default medicene advice.....hale's needed....

hey there all.....

i don't post here much but i do lurk and i post over on mkp. i am due
in just under 3 weeks.....2 days before brigette to be exact. anyway my
question is about celexa. i have been taking it during my pregnancy
because paxil and zoloft didn't work. i am wanting to breastfeed but
heard that celexa can cause babies not to sleep well and lose weight.
does anyone know what hale's says about it or has any experience with
celexa? i need to take it to control my depression.....the paxil just
made me nauseous and the zoloft actually made me worse off than i
already was. any advice and info is appreciated.

tia
melanie

Old January 26th 04, 04:43 AM
Larry McMahan

little one writes:
: hey there all.....

: i don't post here much but i do lurk and i post over on mkp. i am due
: in just under 3 weeks.....2 days before brigette to be exact. anyway my
: question is about celexa. i have been taking it during my pregnancy
: because paxil and zoloft didn't work. i am wanting to breastfeed but
: heard that celexa can cause babies not to sleep well and lose weight.
: does anyone know what hale's says about it or has any experience with
: celexa? i need to take it to control my depression.....the paxil just
: made me nauseous and the zoloft actually made me worse off than i
: already was. any advice and info is appreciated.

: tia
: melanie

I don't know much, but I do know that zoloft and paxil are L2, and Celexa
is L3. L2 is generally safe, and L3 is that some amounts can be secreted
in breastmilk but it is not know dangerous. When ours were infants Monika
was on Paxil and she only switched when the youngest was 2 and not nursing
as often. I think the half life of Celexa is about 6 hours. Monika would
take it after bed time nursing and hope that most of it was gone from her
system by the time Niel woke up to nurse.

Hope this helps,
Larry

Old January 26th 04, 07:08 PM
Andrea

"little one" wrote in message
hey there all.....

i don't post here much but i do lurk and i post over on mkp. i am due
in just under 3 weeks.....2 days before brigette to be exact. anyway my
question is about celexa. i have been taking it during my pregnancy
because paxil and zoloft didn't work. i am wanting to breastfeed but
heard that celexa can cause babies not to sleep well and lose weight.
does anyone know what hale's says about it or has any experience with
celexa? i need to take it to control my depression.....the paxil just
made me nauseous and the zoloft actually made me worse off than i
already was. any advice and info is appreciated.

tia
melanie

Here is a good link about celexa and nursing;

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...02.html#Celexa

I take my Zoloft in the evening, as my baby sleeps most of the night.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 7 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

A black crow stole my soul, and now I want it back. (For those with PPD).

Old January 27th 04, 04:23 AM
Nancy Ellman

I've took Celexa (20 mg) while I was pregnant and have kept it up while
nursing. My baby has gone from 9lbs 14oz at birth to 14lbs at ten weeks and
he sleeps just fine.

Now, he has been on medication himself, due to a birth trauma (unrelated
to my taking celexa) but he's being weaned off it and there hasn't been any
noticeable difference in his sleeping as his dose has dropped, so I don't
think that is the cause of his sleeping well.

When I discussed celexa and nursing with my pediatrician, she had no concerns
other than that I should try to wean the baby slowly when the time came.

I'd recommend taking it if that's what you need. Your baby needs its mother
to be well and I doubt he will have problems with it.

Good luck,

Nan Ellman

Old January 28th 04, 01:14 AM
little one

thank you guys.....i am just trying to make sure that munchkin will be
okay once s/he gets here. i didn't know if s/he would end up getting
more of the medicene once bf or not. anyway....i should find out
soon....only 2 weeks until edd....so i am saying no longer than a month.
(of course all first babies come early in my family....but i'm not
getting my hopes up) i am shooting for a valentines baby. maybe
maybe.

thanks again.

melanie

ps...nan...you are right...the baby needs a mom that is well...and i can
already tell a huge difference. i am able to make reasonable decisions
now rather than just emotional ones. feels good to feel good again even
if i am still not 100%. at least i know i am on the right road.
smile

Old January 28th 04, 02:02 AM
iphigenia

little one wrote:
i didn't know if s/he would end up getting
more of the medicene once bf or not.

Your infant will most certainly get much less of the drug through breastmilk
than s/he is currently getting through the placenta.
See http://www.perinatology.com/exposure...Citalopram.htm. According to
Hale's notes, the dose through breastmilk isn't more than half of the
transplacental dose.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net