Microwaving children

Old September 5th 04, 09:02 PM
Jeff

"john" wrote in message
http://www.whale.to/a/micro_children.h

Thanks for the laugh.

Actually, if the cell phone towers were a threat to kids, being under a mast
would be the place to be. The radio signals are directed outward, and not
down. So there is almost no microwave energy reaching the poeple near the
towers.

Of course, there is also no danger from the cell phone towers at all.

But, this lack of understanding of the technology and science involved is
consistant with the whaleto site, which is the laughing stock of the
internet. Clearly, the author has no clue about what he says or science or
medicine. No wonder she is too ashamed to put her name on it.

jeff

Old September 5th 04, 09:07 PM
Jeff

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
john writes:

http://www.whale.to/a/micro_children.html

just in case anyone thought Big Brother gives a rats ass about humans

Children are no more vulnerable to microwave radiation than adults,

In general, children are more senstive to environmental insults of all
types. This is because their bodies are growing, the cells are reproducing
faster than adults, and there is more time for radiation to affect the young
bodies.

and
no one of any age is really vulnerable to this type of radiation.

True.

While
it is true that direct radiation from a malfunctioning microwave oven
can cause problems at very short range (such as cataracts), it has
simply never been proved that lower exposures have any real effect at
all.

In fact studies have looked at this in particular, and found that
electromagnatic radiation is not harmful.

Furthermore, children receive a bigger dose of microwaves by holding a
cellphone next to their ears than they receive from any nearby
transmitting towers.

True.

But I emphasize that there is no evidence that cell phones are dangerous to
kids or cell phone towers.

Jeff

Old September 5th 04, 09:09 PM
Jeff

"David Wright" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:
john writes:

http://www.whale.to/a/micro_children.html

just in case anyone thought Big Brother gives a rats ass about humans

Children are no more vulnerable to microwave radiation than adults, and
no one of any age is really vulnerable to this type of radiation. While
it is true that direct radiation from a malfunctioning microwave oven
can cause problems at very short range (such as cataracts), it has
simply never been proved that lower exposures have any real effect at
all.

Furthermore, children receive a bigger dose of microwaves by holding a
cellphone next to their ears than they receive from any nearby
transmitting towers.

This point is invariably lost on Luddite morons like John-boy. A
5-watt transmitter that's 20 centimeters from your head (an
overestimate) is saturating you with far more radiation (like 625
times more) than a 5000-watt transmitter that's 50 meters from your
head. One wonders if John runs screaming from anyone using a cell
phone. (I hope so.)

It also depends on where you are. If you are right underneath the cell
phone towers, then you get less radiation than if you are say 3 km away,
because the radiation is directed outward, not down.

Jeff

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

Old September 5th 04, 11:48 PM
David Wright

In article ,
M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t-September 5, 2004 M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t wrote:

"Steve Harris
" wrote in
message m...
(David Wright) wrote in message
. com...
This point is invariably lost on Luddite morons like John-boy. A
5-watt transmitter that's 20 centimeters from your head (an
overestimate) is saturating you with far more radiation (like 625
times more) than a 5000-watt transmitter that's 50 meters from your
head. One wonders if John runs screaming from anyone using a cell
phone. (I hope so.)

You slipped a decimal and are off by a factor of 10, but we get your
point. You still radiate any kid in the car with far more RF power
from your cell phone than they'll ever see in a normal environment. It
doesn't matter how close they get to the antenna tower. And for
microwave antennas on a tower that beam goes over the head like a
searchlight anyway.

Speaking of going over heads, Davidf's and your points went over John's
head.

John has long since killfiled me anyway. Even if he hadn't, he's far
too irrational to ever accept my point and far too mathematically
illiterate to grasp it. (Though I am rather chagrined to have dropped
that decimal point -- should have been "500 watts", or, alternatively,
62.5 times as much power from the phone.)

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

Old September 6th 04, 12:04 AM
Peter Bowditch

"Jeff" wrote:

But I emphasize that there is no evidence that cell phones are dangerous to
kids or cell phone towers.

I know what you mean, but the words would have been better in a
different order:

"But I emphasize that there is no evidence that cell phones or cell
phone towers are dangerous to kids".

--
Peter Bowditch
The Green Light http://www.ratbags.com/greenlight
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
Old September 6th 04, 04:37 PM
D. C. Sessions

In message , john scudamore wrote:
"Steve Harris " wrote
in message

You slipped a decimal and are off by a factor of 10, but we get your
point. You still radiate any kid in the car with far more RF power
from your cell phone than they'll ever see in a normal environment. It
doesn't matter how close they get to the antenna tower. And for
microwave antennas on a tower that beam goes over the head like a
searchlight anyway.

SBH

Sure it does, for a dish maybe but a panel? You rarely see dish
transmitters or receivers on mobile phone masts. And the Tetra system
used
by the police and ambulance has NO directional type masts. One Tetra I
looked at recently was next to a school.
http://www.whale.to/b/tet.html
I'd bet you wouldn't let them put one on top of your kids school like this
cancer scientist http://www.whale.to/b/tetra1.html

Of course they're directional. Any fixed antenna system benefits
greatly from managing the dispersion pattern simply because it
gets better coverage within its range and less interference outside
it.

It's just good RF engineering. Dates back to the 30s and 40s.

Wait a few decades and Scudamore may even catch up to the period.

--
A:*Because*it*messes*up*the*order*in*which*people* normally*read*text.
Q:*Why*is*top-posting*such*a*bad*thing?
Old September 6th 04, 06:03 PM
Jeff

"Peter Bowditch" wrote in message
"Jeff" wrote:

But I emphasize that there is no evidence that cell phones are dangerous

kids or cell phone towers.

I know what you mean, but the words would have been better in a
different order:

"But I emphasize that there is no evidence that cell phones or cell
phone towers are dangerous to kids".

Yeah, you're right.

Of course, cell phones are not dangerous to cell phone towers, either (I
guess if you got a few dumptruck loads and a catapolt....).

Jeff

To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

Old September 6th 04, 06:20 PM
CWatters

"john" wrote in message

Sure it does, for a dish maybe but a panel?

Hi John,

Yes panel type can also be directional. For mobile phones usually several
panels pointing in slightly different directions are used.

Here is another example...

X10 Wireless security camera for the home (sorry if there are pop-ups).....
http://graphics.x10.com/images9/ab9_xcamKit.jpg