What If Einstein Had Taken Ritalin?

Old February 4th 05, 08:06 PM
Emma Anne

Vashti wrote:

So what if Einstein had taken Ritalin?

Damn! We could have had FTL travel by now!

LOL!
Old February 4th 05, 09:36 PM
Justin

"Bob Kaplow" wrote in message
news
In article , "Justin"

writes:
Einstein had ADHD? Hmmm... I spose this follows the same logic that
cause people to think that Mozart and about every other genius had

it as
well.
Does writting over 600 compositions by the age of 35 sound like
something that someone with a chronic ability to procrastinate and

be
distracted would do?

Yup. Hyperfocus in narrow areas of interest is common.

Perhaps we all need to remember what ADHD stands for? And remember

that
it is a disorder, not a gift? Perhaps some of the traits that are

common
with ADHD can be considered gifts. But the key part of the disorder

is
hardly a gift to most of the people with it. It's a dead weight.

Properly applied, it is a gift, not a disorder. Something that fell

out of a
recent conversation on the subject is that ADDers don't have ADD, but

the
rest of the population has "Boredom Tolerance Disorder"...

You can say that properly applied, it is a gift. But then you are only
using the good traits that appear in ADHD. The bad traits, and the main
trait can hardly be called gifts, and therefore are still a disorder if
it affects the persons life enough.
Put it this way: If you find a way to properly apply it, then you don't
really have an ADHD anymore, right?

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
To reply, remove the TRABoD!

Kaplow Klips & Baffle:

http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org

www.nar.org

We must have faith in our democratic system and our

Constitution,
and in our ability to protect at the same time both the

freedom and
the security of all Americans.

Old February 5th 05, 04:34 AM
Bob Kaplow

In article , "Justin" writes:
You can say that properly applied, it is a gift. But then you are only
using the good traits that appear in ADHD. The bad traits, and the main
trait can hardly be called gifts, and therefore are still a disorder if
it affects the persons life enough.
Put it this way: If you find a way to properly apply it, then you don't
really have an ADHD anymore, right?

A large percentage of the upper end of our society are ADD / ADHD. It's
common among trial lawyers, several medical specialties, inventors,
entrepreneurs, politicians, outside sales, entertainers, and many other
areas. Not among CPAs.

The downside is that it's also common among the chronically unemployed or
underemployed, drug abusers (self medication?), and in prisons. People with
ADD drift to the edge of society: either rising to the top if they learn to
cope and deal with it, or sinking to the bottom.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
To reply, remove the TRABoD!

Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

I support drug testing. I believe every public official should be given a
shot of sodium pentathol and ask "Which laws have you broken this week?".
Old February 5th 05, 04:35 AM
Twittering One

"What if the universe is infinite in size,
time,
and amount of objects?
[Bite. Bite. Bite.]
What if my mind created the objects?"
~ Bert

"Then we would say,
'Hallowed be thy name.'"
~ Double-A

Or...
BOO!
Happy Halloween!

Trick or treat?

O, mais oui ~ Dr.
Edward Hallowell, come on down! Dr.
Ratey's already invited...Just please ~ Drive Us to Further Dis-
Traction, with plenty of traction!

Old February 5th 05, 10:48 AM
Brunibus

God, what a breath of fresh air !!!!

You da man, Justin.
The "ADHD is a wonderful gift" merchants have no idea how INCREDIBLY
annoying they are.

"Justin" wrote in message

"MrPepper11" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wall Street Journal
February 3, 2005

What If Einstein Had Taken Ritalin?
ADHD's Impact on Creativity
By JEFF ZASLOW

[snip]

Einstein had ADHD? Hmmm... I spose this follows the same logic that
cause people to think that Mozart and about every other genius had it as
well.
Does writting over 600 compositions by the age of 35 sound like
something that someone with a chronic ability to procrastinate and be
distracted would do?

For every ADHD "genius", there is an ADHD "bum" sitting in the slammer.
There are also plenty of people that have many of the personaity traits
that people with ADHD oftern have. This, however, does not make them
ADHD.

Perhaps we all need to remember what ADHD stands for? And remember that
it is a disorder, not a gift? Perhaps some of the traits that are common
with ADHD can be considered gifts. But the key part of the disorder is
hardly a gift to most of the people with it. It's a dead weight.

Cheers, Justin.

Old February 5th 05, 10:49 AM
Brunibus

"Bob Kaplow" wrote in message
news
In article , "Justin"
writes:
Einstein had ADHD? Hmmm... I spose this follows the same logic that
cause people to think that Mozart and about every other genius had it as
well.
Does writting over 600 compositions by the age of 35 sound like
something that someone with a chronic ability to procrastinate and be
distracted would do?

Yup. Hyperfocus in narrow areas of interest is common.

Perhaps we all need to remember what ADHD stands for? And remember that
it is a disorder, not a gift? Perhaps some of the traits that are common
with ADHD can be considered gifts. But the key part of the disorder is
hardly a gift to most of the people with it. It's a dead weight.

Properly applied, it is a gift, not a disorder.

What like Leprosy properly enjoyed, isn't a disorder ?

Old February 5th 05, 10:54 AM
Brunibus

"Bob Kaplow" wrote in message
In article , "Justin"
writes:
You can say that properly applied, it is a gift. But then you are only
using the good traits that appear in ADHD. The bad traits, and the main
trait can hardly be called gifts, and therefore are still a disorder if
it affects the persons life enough.
Put it this way: If you find a way to properly apply it, then you don't
really have an ADHD anymore, right?

A large percentage of the upper end of our society are ADD / ADHD.

And a massively disproportionate percentage of jail inmates are ADDers
because ..... ?
You appear to have forgotten the lower end of our society.
And where's you evidence of the upper end being peopled by ADDers ?
You know, like formal diagnoses ?
Can you site ?
Stop deluding yourself.
Acknowledging ADD as a disability won't make it any worse, you know.
Indeed, accepting it for what it IS will help you towards philosophical
equilibrium.

It's
common among trial lawyers, several medical specialties, inventors,
entrepreneurs, politicians, outside sales, entertainers, and many other
areas.

You obviously believe everything you read.