Can dental care be *causing* any preterm labor?

Old March 3rd 05, 08:31 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Can dental care be *causing* any preterm labor?

Paul Connett, PhD: Please see the very end of this post...

CAN DENTAL CARE BE *CAUSING* ANY PRETERM LABOR?

Larry McMahan suggested (see below; sounds quite plausible to me) that
dental care PREVENTS preterm labor...See below.

Then I got to thinking about various dental behaviors that are quite
bizarre...

The bizarre dental behavior that springs to mind is dentists ignoring
science/defining fluoride as a "nutrient" and promoting mandatory low dose
fluoride ion chemotherapy ("fluoridation")...

Prominent fluoride critic and environmental chemistry professor Dr. Paul
Connett recently wrote:

"Remember the shoddy work performed by the Institute of Medicine when it
included fluoride along with four nutrients needed for bone growth (calcium,
magnesium, phosphate and vitamin D)..."

I don't think fluoride is needed for bone growth. The human breast seems to
filter it out of mom's blood - and there is some evidence that it apparently
can cause dental and skeletal fluorosis in pregnant women, as in,

Environ Geochem Health. 2003 Dec;25(4):421-31. PubMed abstract

Bo Z, Mei H, Yongsheng Z, Xueyu L, Xuelin Z, Jun D. College of Environment
and Resource, Jilin University, China.

"...High fluoride (1.0 mg L(-1)) in drinking water resulted in dental and
skeletal fluorosis in local residents (children and pregnant women)...."

Larry,

Your post also got me thinking about the folks who write about "cavitations"
(bone infections) (as opposed to "cavities"). They worry about ROOT CANALS
causing maxillary and mandibular bone infections which then (according to
those who write about "cavitations") cause infections elsewhere in the body
not to mention leaking toxins, IIRC. I think I read where the fellow who
invented a device to identify "cavitations" recently prevailed in a court
battle....

Anyway Larry, you made a strong statement about dental care preventing
preterm labor and I suspect there is something to that. If the people who
write about "cavitations" are correct, dental care may be CAUSING some
preterm labor. Other toxins promoted as good dental care may do the same -
who knows? Anyway, I for one am interested in the "dental care prevents 20%
of preterm labor" reference if you ever find it.

My general sense (everyone's general sense?) is that POOR DIET precedes many
dental problems - but I don't see the dentists doing much more than
exhorting people to eat less sugar - as they say that the toxin fluoride is
a "nutrient" - LOL! - as they fill teeth with mercury and push mandatory low
dose fluoride ion chemotherapy (fluoridation) as being "safe and effective."

BTW, Dr. Connett's work to expose the shoddy science underlying "safe and
effective" mandatory low dose fluoride ion chemotherapy (fluoridation) is
showcased at:

THE FLUORIDE ACTION NETWORK
http://www.fluoridealert.org or http://www.fluorideACTION.net

A few further comments below....

[Larry] = Larry McMahan

[Todd] = Todd Gastaldo

"Todd Gastaldo" wrote in message
ink.net...
PRETERM LABOR AND PERIODONTAL DISEASE...

"Larry McMahan" wrote in message
Larry McMahan writes:

: OK. I've obviiously been reading too much. Here is
: the preterm labor quiz: Without knowing anything about
: the condition of the pregnant what is the most
: effective treatment to reduce the incidence [of preterm labor]?

Ta-da:.... Dental Care.

At least 20% of preterm labor is caused by infections,
and dental care including peridontia, does the most to
reduce the incidence of undiagnosed infections.

Larry,

"DOES the most to reduce the incidence of undiagnosed infections" is not
necessarily the same as "the most effective treatment to reduce the
incidence [of preterm labor]" - even if dental care reduces infections -
right?

You must have a study, though.

Could you cite a study?

[Larry] Damn. I deleted the article where I read it, and now I can't find
it again. Last time I'll do that! :-) Sorry, didn't mean to be so sloppy!

[Todd] No problem. Here is a Jan 2005 article the PubMed abstract for which
still says "MAY induce an inflammatory response with premature pregnancy
termination..."

J Clin Periodontol. 2005 Jan;32(1):45-52. PubMed abstract...

Periodontitis, a marker of risk in pregnancy for preterm birth.

Dortbudak O, Eberhardt R, Ulm M, Persson GR.

Department of Periodontology and Fixed Prosthodontics, University of Bern,
Switzerland.

BACKGROUND: Why chronic periodontitis may induce an inflammatory response
with premature pregnancy termination is unclear. AIMS: (1) To assess if
periodontitis predicts premature gestation; (2) to study amniotic fluid
cytokines and periodontitis variables in early-stage pregnancy. MATERIAL AND
METHODS: A periodontal examination and collection of amniotic fluid was
performed (weeks 15-20) of pregnancy in 36 women at risk for pregnancy
complications. Amniotic fluid (bacteria), vaginal smears and intra-oral
plaque samples were studied. Cytokine levels in amniotic fluid were studied
in relation to other study variables. RESULTS: Periodontitis was diagnosed
in 20% of normal and in 83% of preterm birth cases (p0.01). Bacteria were
never found in the amniotic fluids studied. Sub-gingival plaque samples
including bacteria in the orange and red complexes were found in 18% of
full-term 100% of preterm cases (p0.001) and total colony-forming units
(CFUs) were higher in preterm birth (p0.01). Amniotic levels of interleukin
(IL)-6 and prostaglandin-E2 (PGE2) were higher in preterm cases (p0.001).
Amniotic IL-6 (r=0.56, p0.01) and PGE2 (r=0.50, p0.01) cytokine levels
were correlated with CFU from sub-gingival plaque samples (r2=0.44).The odds
ratio of preterm delivery and having periodontitis was 20.0 (95% confidence
interval (CI): 2.0-201.7, p0.01). The odds of 60 CFU in sub-gingival
plaque and preterm birth was 32.5:1 (95% CI: 3.0-335.1, p01). CONCLUSIONS:
Pregnant women with findings of elevated amniotic fluid levels of PGE2, IL-6
and IL-8 in the 15-20 weeks of pregnancy and with periodontitis are at high
risk for premature birth. The implication of this is that periodontitis can
induce a primary host response in the chorioamnion leading to preterm birth.

[Todd] I'll cc Doertbudak et al via

[Todd] Larry, if you find the reference, I'm still interested. Here's the
rest of my original reply to Larry's post, for anyone else who might be
interested in this topic.

Farrell et al. wrote in 2004 regarding a population they studied:

"There was no association between either preterm birth or low birth weight
and periodontal disease in this population."

PubMed abstract below.

I'll cc Farrell et al. via

Todd

Br Dent J. 2004 Sep 11;197(5):251-8; discussion 247 PubMed abstract

Comment in:
Br Dent J. 2004 Nov 27;197(10):594.

A prospective study to investigate the relationship between periodontal
disease and adverse pregnancy outcome.

Moore S, Ide M, Coward PY, Randhawa M, Borkowska E, Baylis R, Wilson RF.

Restorative Dentistry, Floor 21 Guy's Tower, Guy's, King's, and St.
Thomas'
Dental Institute, King's College, London SE1 9RT.

OBJECTIVE: This study aimed to investigate a relationship between maternal
periodontal disease and preterm birth, low birth weight and late
miscarriage. DESIGN: Prospective study in a single centre. SETTING: Guy's
and St Thomas' Hospital Trust, London, UK between August 1998 and July
2001.
SUBJECTS AND METHODS: Pregnant women were recruited on attending an
ultrasound scan at approximately 12 weeks of pregnancy. Subjects completed
questionnaire and underwent periodontal examination. MAIN OUTCOME
MEASURES:
Plaque and bleeding scores, pocket probing depth and loss of attachment.
Pregnancy outcome data was collected retrospectively, including
gestational
age and birth weight at delivery. RESULTS: Data were collected for 3,738
subjects. Regression analysis indicated that there were no significant
relationships between the severity of periodontal disease and either
preterm
birth (PTB) or low birth weight (LBW). In contrast, there did appear to be
correlation between poorer periodontal health and those that experienced a
late miscarriage. CONCLUSIONS: There was no association between either
preterm birth or low birth weight and periodontal disease in this
population. There is evidence of a correlation between markers of poorer
periodontal health and late miscarriage.

AWHONN Lifelines. 2004 Oct-Nov;8(5):422-31. PubMed abstract

Can periodontal disease lead to premature delivery? How the mouth affects
the body.

Wener ME, Lavigne SE.

Faculty of Dentistry, School of Dental Hygiene, University of Manitoba,
Winnipeg, Canada.

J Int Acad Periodontol. 2004 Jul;6(3):89-94. PubMed abstract

Maternal chronic infection as a risk factor in preterm low birth weight
infants: the link with periodontal infection.

Sanchez AR, Kupp LI, Sheridan PJ, Sanchez DR.

Division of Periodontics, Department of Dental Specialties, Mayo Clinic
W4A,
200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA.

In the past decade, there has been mounting scientific evidence suggesting
that periodontal disease may play an important role as a risk factor for
adverse pregnancy outcomes. This article focuses on the definition,
incidence, risk factors associated with preterm low birthweight infants
(PLBW), the evidence linking chronic infections and PLBW, and the
scientific
evidence linking periodontal infections with adverse pregnancy outcomes.
Additionally, this review summarizes the current epidemiological studies
on
the PLBW/infection relation and makes conclusions based on these results.
Data from a limited number of studies available support the hypothesis
that
periodontal disease may act as a risk factor for PLBW infants. The fetal
exposure to different periodontal pathogens needs to be confirmed, the
mechanisms associated with the potential passage of periodontal bacteria
across the placental barrier, and the efficacy of different periodontal
treatments in reducing the risk for PLBW need to be studied further.

Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2004 Jul;25(7 Suppl 1):16-25. PubMed abstract

Periodontal inflammation: from gingivitis to systemic disease?

Scannapieco FA.

Department of Oral Biology, School of Dental Medicine, State University of
New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York, USA.

There has been a resurgence of interest in recent years in the systemic
effects of oral infections such as periodontal diseases. The study of the
various means by which periodontal infections and inflammation may
influence
a variety of systemic conditions is collectively referred to as
periodontal
medicine. The periodontium responds to tooth-borne biofilm (dental plaque)
by the process of inflammation. Dental biofilms release a variety of
biologically active products, such as bacterial lipopolysaccharides
(endotoxins), chemotactic peptides, protein toxins, and organic acids.
These
molecules stimulate the host to produce a variety of responses, among them
the production and release of potent agents known as cytokines. These
include interleukin-1 beta, interleukin-8, prostaglandins, and tumor
necrosis factor-alpha. There is a spectrum of periodontal response to
these
molecules, from mild gingivitis to severe destructive periodontitis. These
and other host products and responses may influence a variety of important
disease pathways, including atherosclerosis, mucosal inflammation, and
premature parturition. The purpose of this article is to review the
possible
biological pathways by which periodontal diseases may influence these
disease processes.

DR. CONNETT INDICATES MDs ARE "STARK RAVING MAD!" [Dr. Connett's exclamation
mark]

The above-mentioned/well-respected PhD environmental chemistry professor
(Dr. Paul Connett) recently wrote about MDs injecting mercury into the
bloodstream, saying they are "stark raving mad!" (Dr. Connett's exclamation
mark), as in,

"I believe those who put mercury in our mouths are being reckless, but those
who inject mercury directly into a baby's blood stream are stark raving mad!
However, incredible as it may seem, such a ridiculous practice has friends
in high places. Fortunately, it also has many enemies on the ground." [Dr.
Paul Connett, FAN CAMPAIGN Bulletin #171]

I should add that Dr. Connett and I are not on the same page in regard to
mandatory low dose fluoride ion chemotherapy ("fluoridation")...

I say the mandatory chemotherapy ("fluoridation") is obviously illegal - a
battery - because - for example - in California - it is common law that
administering medication without consent - even medication that is good - is
a battery. See the THOR decision.

I say that mandatory chemotherapy ("fluoridation") is CHILD ABUSE - because
battery against children is child abuse.

Paul Connett says that it is too inflammatory for me to suggest such a
thing - yet Paul publicly (in effect) calls MDs "stark raving mad" - LOL!

So far Paul has been silent about my idea of fluoridation opponents always
referring to the practice as "mandatory low dose fluoride ion chemotherapy
('fluoridation')"....esp. since it's such a nice segueway to the common law
notion that it is OBVIOUSLY ILLEGAL to dose people with medicine (even good
medicine!) without their consent...

I will cc Paul via

Keep up the good work, Paul - but please think about the change in verbiage
I have recommended...

Thanks for reading everyone.

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

Old March 3rd 05, 09:38 PM

I have thought about modern dental practices actually causing
periodontal disease as well. I have thought that when dentists crown
teeth rather than extracting them, it can lead to more periodontal
infections. I know I have gotten crowns that just didn't fit quite
right, and then seemed to cause a bad tasting spot in my mouth or
bleeding gums in the area.

It is a very serious problem because periodontal disease is proven to
cause preterm labor and heart disease.

I read that early humans did not have tooth decay until finely ground
grains entered our diets. Sugar is not the only culprit to tooth
decay.

KC

Old March 3rd 05, 10:17 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld

I have thought about modern dental practices actually causing
periodontal disease as well. I have thought that when dentists crown
teeth rather than extracting them, it can lead to more periodontal
infections. I know I have gotten crowns that just didn't fit quite
right, and then seemed to cause a bad tasting spot in my mouth or
bleeding gums in the area.

It is a very serious problem because periodontal disease is proven to
cause preterm labor and heart disease.

I read that early humans did not have tooth decay until finely ground
grains entered our diets. Sugar is not the only culprit to tooth
decay.

KC

Periodontal disease is a disease with a bacterial and host component.
Certainly poorly-fitting crowns can exacerbate periodontal disease,
especially if extended significantly under the gumline. However, this
will generally be self-limiting unless there is generalized disease.
To say a poorly made crown can cause problems is not equivalent to
saying modern dental practices are causing peridontal disease, much less
pre-term labor.
Studies showing an association between periodontal disease and low
birth weight seem to be fairly well established. There are also links
between periodontal disease and cardiovascular and cerebrovascular
disease. However, while there are some working hypotheses regarding
just what the association is caused by, it is IMO waaaaay too early to
base clinical practice on these apparent associations at this time.
Certainly, since pregnancy is itself associated with gingival
inflammation, it makes good sense to optimize oral hygiene, diet and
periodontal health, esp. for women who may become pregnant.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com